What Happened to Bam Who Ended in a Psych Ward?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marc22, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Hi folks:

What happened to @Bam? The guy who could not take it anymore, was arrested, and taken to a psychiatric ward. I have not seen his thread. I am worried about him.

Marco

• Good Question Good Question x 7
    2. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      Hey I don’t know either but let’s all pray he is getting the help he needs and things are looking up for him.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      His username is (was?) @Bam ...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I do hope he is better.

Marco

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whatever happened to Bam (is that his name?), the guy who was driven crazy by his tinnitus, got arrested, and put in a psych ward. Remember him?

Marco

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think he had killed himself. The quality of his posts was too high for him to be a troll who just wanted to mess with us and convince us that he had killed himself.

In his last thread, someone had pointed out that according to his profile, "Bam was last seen: Jul 20, 2018"
      This might be because someone had turned on his cell phone or his computer.

Of course another possibility is that he is somewhere where he doesn't have access to the internet. He might be in jail, in a psych ward, or traveling the world (recall he said that he was financially independent).

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I came here to find out what happened to him as well. He sounded so nice and he was so articulate. If he was committed to a psych ward he probably wouldn't have been able to kill himself? I do hope he is still alive as he was new to tinnitus and it might yet have reduced at least

• Like Like x 2
    8. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bill Bauer - I thought they'd have to access Tinnitus Talk, not just turn on his phone or computer....
      At any rate, it's been a while now. I do hope he's OK, but I'm worried.

• Agree Agree x 5
    9. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      I don't have a good feeling about this... he was pretty clear in his posts about his intentions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When I open the browser on my computer, it reloads all of the pages from my last session. This includes Tinnitus Talk. My browser logs into Tinnitus Talk automatically...

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      I vaguely remember that in one of his posts he was giving away his location (near some motorway close to university... but cannot recall the name)

For those of you in the UK, if you come across that post, it might be worth checking the psych ward in that town and possibly check for tinnitus suicides maybe?

I also recall him mentioning, that he was in charge (possibly an owner) of a company of about 30 people or so and rather well off.

If he killed himself, there might even be mentioning of this in the local newspaper.
      Also, the towns police would have info on him from the night he posted the "sleeping in a cell" thread..

• Like Like x 1
    12. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Not everyone has their phone or computer browser set to reload pages. Mine only would do that if I did not close out of a window.

On a different thread regarding suicide, I mentioned that family members alert us via a post or reaching out to admin if a fellow member commits suicide on another (non-tinnitus) forum I frequent. Bam commented that his family members would not know about Tinnitus Talk. That suggests his phone or computer are not set to automatically log him in to Tinnitus Talk.

Due to privacy laws, it’s doubtful that anyone could contact a psych ward acquiring about someone from a forum.

Another member mentioned a health forum Bam would also post on. Perhaps someone could check that forum.

• Like Like x 2
    13. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Maybe he just needed a break from the forums

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    14. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      That is a very real possibility, and if you look at the members in general, most of them leave after a time, never to be heard from again. Since we know that BAM was in enough distress to end up in a psych ward, it's natural to wonder what became of him.

• Like Like x 2
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      People usually take a break from this forum because they feel like there is too much negativity here. Bam's posts have been some of the most negative posts I have ever read in my entire life (and that's cool), so I doubt that he was bothered by negativity. Also, he was here for only a couple of weeks, I doubt he could get sick of this place in such a short amount of time.

• Agree Agree x 5
    16. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Did he ever say where he was from?

• Like Like x 1
    17. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Bam was redpilled af. I really hope he's still around.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Maybe his tinnitus abated.

• Genius Genius x 1
    19. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Holy crap his posts are super depressing. Yikes. I feel so sorry for newbies who come on these forums and have to read posts like that...=[

I really hope he hasn't done the unthinkable...but that one post about being emaciated and begging doctors was really rough to read. I will light an incense for him right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      So should he rather not talk about it and bottle it all up? I feel sorry for people who feel like him, he was brutally honest and while I hope he's doing better I know there are millions of people who are struggling due to tinnitus. We can't continue to sugarcoat this. I understand that those posts can be disheartening for new members but tinnitus is a huge spectrum, most people are fine and even if it might scare some newbies they will probably be fine nonetheless.

• Agree Agree x 13
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I'm far from a newbie, but I log on less and less frequently because of the negativity. I don't even tell anyone that I know that has this condition about this forum. If anyone with this condition were to ask me if I'm aware of it, I'll simply say, "Yes but I hardly ever read it since there is no cure." I guess that will have be my excuse unless I think of something else.

Bottom line is, I don't ever want anyone to think I could be as down and out about this condition as some that post here. Is this condition horrible?-Yes! Am I like some of the ones on here that "can't take it anymore?" -- NO

I gut it up and move on. There are worse things in life. We all know someone with cancer, heart disease, maybe MS or Parkinson's, etc. etc. This condition doesn't even compare.

Still---I wish the best of luck to all of you in finding a way to cope!

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      And it is important that people with minor/mild tinnitus become aware of just how bad it can get. That way they are more likely to be serious about doing all they can to ensure that the unthinkable doesn't happen to them.

• Agree Agree x 8
    23. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Hope you never get to experience severe tinnitus and severe hyperacusis as you clearly don't know what it's like.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    24. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Actually I have had both for a very long time. And maybe that's why I cope now better than some others. The earliest is the worst.

And.......maybe that's why it just got louder by reading and posting. I should have known better. Been here done that.

25. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Then you should know how debilitating those conditions can be. The combination can easily leave someone homebound or unable to work (at least for some time) - I'd say that's pretty severe. It's also always a lot of fun to develop new tones permanently.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Chronic pain and locked-in syndrome. Nothing else comes to my mind.
      Those people have an end to their suffering in sight. Tinnitus can last decades, with no hope for relief. Those people can momentarily forget about their suffering when they lie in bed at night - not so for T sufferers.
      You are right - since one is being tortured every single waking moment (unlike most of the other conditions, possibly even including locked-in syndrome), it can't compare to anything else out there. If one could be burned alive for decades to come, that would be comparable to tinnitus (and not comparable to most other conditions out there). I am channeling my inner @Bam now...

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
    27. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Absolutely. I have mild tinnitus and I have seen just a glimpse (or maybe not even that) of the hell that tinnitus can be. I can assure you that I‘ll never EVER go to a concert, club etc. without my earplugs and I‘ll have them always near me. People NEED to know what can happen if they aren't careful.

And we NEED treatments for people with severe tinnitus. Not even a total cure, but at least something that can bring tinnitus to manageable levels.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    28. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can share your feeling.
      But, there are two kinds of people here.
      One group of them seek for help.
      The other group like Glynis, Bill Bauer, Michael Leigh, Fishbone ...
      They provide answers and support.

It all depends on which side to motivate members joining the Tinnitus Talk forums.
      The palm of a hand can face up. It also can face down.

29. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      There has to be a balance though, and I hope the newer tinnitus sufferers realize that habituation is more likely than a descent into madness. Just have to stay strong.

And yes I feel awful for severe tinnitus sufferers...their struggles are difficult as it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Fishbone and Michael has helped me so much the first time I was here, it's also important to note that everyone deals with difficult circumstances differently.