What If There Was Someone on Tinnitus Talk Encouraging Us to Kill Ourselves?

Discussion in 'Support' started by 3ri0w, Dec 26, 2018.

1. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Have you ever thought there might be someone here encouraging us to kill ourselves?

I mean since some people here on Tinnitus Talk are in a real bad place and have bad tinnitus and/or bad hyperacusis and pain, depression, anxiety, panic attacks and everything.

And they start thinking about suicide and about how they would do it and start writing and posting about suicide related things. They are just in a real bad place and hopeless etc etc.

I'm afraid like WHAT IF there would be like, you know, "people" here who have some kind of sick sadistic tendencies and like to encourage people to "just do it" etc?

I'm just scared that there would be some sick individuals that would like people to off themselves?

Years ago I read this internet poster (I don't know who it was, it was not here on Tinnitus Talk) talking about how he had had 6 different people kill themselves (I mean it was not a group - individually), and he was like "proud" of it, since he had encouraged them to do it? Horrible!

Like you know you never know and that's what I am just afraid of, I mean someone who would not even have tinnitus/hyperacusis could just "fake it" and say they have it etc etc. And then infiltrate the community and little by little start to encourage people to kill themselves saying there is no hope, nothing, it's just going to get worse and worse.

Like you never know who you are communicating with, even in a non-internet world - I mean in a real world, some people just are that way and like others to suffer etc.

I'm not being paranoid or anything (this is what they always say isn't it... maybe I should not have read about the Manson thing...)

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Unless you are willing to forbid the people who
      to post here about their experiences, there is nothing you can do about it.

And if someone is so vulnerable that some post on the internet can get them to kill themselves, I think they would eventually kill themselves anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Ahhh I think you understood my point like completelycompletely backwards? I didn't mean anything like forbidding the vulnerable people from posting, nothing like that, I mean the complete opposite. Like IF there was a way to restrict the suicide-encouragers ("just do it" etc) from posting then ye that would be better than forbidding the vulnerable people from posting, you see?

And you know about the second paragraph, it may not be about only "1" post on the internet, it could be endless posting you know. Like a hundred suicide-encouragements you know

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When the seat belts were introduced, drivers began to drive faster (as they felt safer now), and more pedestrians died. Unintended consequences are everywhere. If you can't distinguish someone so distressed that they are making posts about suicide from trolls who are doing it to harm others, then when you do something about the trolls, you will also end up hurting the distressed people, and there are more distressed people on this forum than there are trolls.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Sounds like a pretty cool idea for a horror movie...

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The case I read about involved one person telling another person about suicide methods. The suicidal person had already made a decision to die.

I think that there is a difference between getting a person who hasn't considered suicide to think about it and then to go ahead with it, and helping an adult (who thought a long time about it and ended up deciding to end his or her life) to fulfill their wish. The former is horrible, whereas the latter might in fact be the humane thing to do, in some cases.

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      For there to be a solution there must first be a problem. I don't see a single post on these forums nor has anyone come forward saying that someone on here has encouraged others to kill themselves. Quite the opposite actually.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      There is legal precedent in the U.S. of prosecuting individuals who encouraged others to commit suicide. It’s also unlikely that an individual would commit suicide without having considered it at some point in their life, but I do not consider that an excuse for encouraging suicide.

I think the post author raises a good point. There could very easily be individuals on this forum who find personal enjoyment in perhaps not necessarily pushing suicide but instead manipulating the emotional well being of individuals in a very fragile mental state.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      It rubs the lotion on its skin.

• Like Like x 1
    10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      It's possible, but those people usually hang out on Omegle to see if anyone will livestream their suicide. I ran into a couple when I was a teenager and I had a few guys ask me if they would watch me hang myself.

Idk if they would be on a tinnitus forum, but it's possible they could be DMing people instead of being part of the main forum.

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I'm sure it would be reported and dealt with and legal implications.

love glynis

• Agree Agree x 3
    12. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Such folk who prey on the vulnerability of those suffering absolutely disgust me. I’m very sure that TT would remove such a blatant posting!

We have to remember the true importance of this forum that we are all here for support and the majority, if not most folk here are well meaning and very sympathetic.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know. It is almost as if the state is under the impression that it owes us and our bodies.

Well, in some of the states euthanasia isn't legal either. Mind-numbingly barbaric and evil is what it is.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    14. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Or that the state acknowledges that individuals who are emotionally fragile and distraught are not in the right frame of mind to make long term decisions and can be manipulated by individuals with cruel intent.

In states where physician-assisted suicide is legal, there are guidelines to confirm these decisions are made by individuals who are of sound mind and that no one is pushing them towards suicide. These are safeguards and protections, not ownership.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I can't deny that your points are good and convincing. However, I suspect that the defendant being on trial for suggesting a painless and certain suicide method to someone, wouldn't be able get off the hook by proving that the other person was of sound mind and not emotionally fragile.

Another fact that is not consistent with your hypothesis is that everywhere where doctor assisted suicide is legal, it is only available 6 months or less before the time of projected natural death. Why have safeguards and protections that don't allow adults of sound mind make decisions about their own bodies (forcing them to use suicide methods that are painful, unreliable, and that might even cause the death of other people)? Are you sure it is not about ownership?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think it's unlikely to happen. But if it did, one of us would see it, report it, and it would be gone fast. And I don't think anyone would kill themselves just because they read one post by someone they've never even interacted with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think @3ri0w had @Bam in mind, and @Tinker Bell had me in mind...

18. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      what the f is your avatar lol.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Oh cheers for that Bill. Now I’m a psychopath. :thankyousign:

• Funny Funny x 1
    20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't think that. I like what and how you write.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Not at all. I do not think you’re fixated on suicide nor do I think you push it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Who are you talking to?

23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had the above in mind. I am not like that (although on multiple occasions I had been accused of something like that on).

24. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who do you think i'm talking to?

25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      3ri0w?

26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yes

• Like Like x 1
    27. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Nothing can kill me, I have state rights :D

Kidding aside, I have yet to see anyone encouraging anyone to kill themselves... That person would have to be extremely impressionable. Probably would have done it with or without aggravation.

I also have a friend who keeps threatening to kill himself every weekend... He's still alive 6 years later. I'm not sure why he's doing this to his friends and family.

• Like Like x 2
    28. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      if someone is going to off themselves can they please request their audiotory system (middle ear, cochlea, audiotory brain, trigeminal nerve) be donated to research.

I'm not recommending anyone do it at all, but it's better then the reality is they are probably just gonna of themself anyway if research doesn't advance. if I off myself I would certainly make that request

the rest of my body could be feed to an alligator for all I care, that'd be cool actually for my suicide.

bio medical research and a gator meal.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Would anyone be seriously bothered to look at it?!? And who??? I’m more than happy to make the request if it comes to that and I can actually get a medical person to take an interest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      We'd rather have you around than just your ears. Nobody on this forum wants anyone to kill themselves just to further science.

• Friendly Friendly x 1