What Immediate Action to Take Following a Tinnitus Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi all,

What actions/vitamins/drugs should you take following a spike, to minimise the damage?

I've read about Prednisone, but I'm in the UK and I've read that they don't prescribe it here for that.

What else should I take?

This last week has been insane. I've had a virus that has went into my chest; headache; aches & pains; hot/cold sweats; spaced out; head swimming; losing touch with reality.
      The amount of phlegm I've coughed up is immense. Also lost my voice.

During a violent coughing fit, I don't know WTF happened because I think I blanked out during part of it but shortly afterwards I became aware of the same noises that I had when I had a spike on October 18.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The spike hasn't caused you any damage that I can assure you. However, stress, anxiety and worrying over this will make you believe damage has occurred. There are no vitamins, drugs necessary for you to take other than the prescription AD that you are already taking. The last thing you want to do is to start experimenting. As I have previously suggested to you try to be calm. Read my posts in the links that I've sent you and try some relaxation exercises which can be very helpful. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that come with narration to help you through the process.

When I was having a very difficult time with my tinnitus, I found a glass of wine, lager or brandy after 6pm helped me immensely.

Michael

3. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      You may be able to get prednisone in the UK if you got A&E or if you plead with your GP (provided you can see them on short notice). In a facebook group I've since left, one of the ladies in the group did receive prednisone due to the severity of her condition - she suffered sudden hearing loss in one ear and has T in both.

4. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Sadly nothing is proven effective as you probably already know. Sometimes spikes get better on their own. I'm going through two major spikes from two different issues I have done nothing about it. I tried some ginkgo biloba and some NAC can't say it worked.

You definitely don't want to be taking prednisone, it lowers your immune system, not good if you are having issues with viruses.

5. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Hey hope youre feeling better soon <3

6. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Spikes are part of tinnitus. I usually walk around my house doing breathing exercises. It helps me. And if it's a longer spike, I just keep on moving doing anything that keeps me busy.