What is a safe level of noise??

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Doctors and audiologists tell me to protect my ears under heavy noise conditions like everybody should. Things like power tools, concerts, clubs etc, I should be protected. They also tell me not to overprotect, regular environments like pubs, traffic noise, loud grocery stores, things of this nature are fine. I come on here and a lot of people (including myself) seem to be wearing ear protection in any environment for the most part. Is this because we get a temporary spike? We are worried or even paranoid maybe? Or are we more prone to permanent damage having tinnitus vs. someone without? Are the guidelines different for us? What is safe for others is not for us? Really confused, hope someone can shed some light here!!

• Like Like x 2
    2. taskigtläge

taskigtläge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013/12/28
      I think most people are overreacting on the noise level, i read about people wearing ear protection almost everywhere they go. Im not saying that they shouldnt do it but atleast i havent had a problem with high noise level since i got my tinnitus. I have had tinnitus since 6 months back now and i have still been gonig out to clubs, drinking and just simply having fun. Almost every weekend i am out partying at clubs with loud music and still my tinnitus have not changed a bit since the day i got it.

As we dont know much of tinnitus i understand that people are afraid of loud noises incase it would increase there tinnitus even more.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      That's great you are enjoying life! Yeah, I wonder if it's just a fear thing more than anything. I know I'm f--kin scared!

I would never attempt a club even with plugs...although I miss it so so much. Going out with buds and getting slammered without a care in the world!!

ts

4. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Are you wearing ear plugs at the 'clubs with loud music'?

5. taskigtläge

taskigtläge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013/12/28
      I havent got alot of experience of tinnitus since i have only had it for 6 months, but i read this thread recently https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/long-time-sufferer.4496/

Maybe it has something with how much your ears can handle and that could be different from person to person. Ive been ok with the loud noises hell i even feel better with loud noise, it shuts out the frkn thing completely

6. taskigtläge

taskigtläge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013/12/28
      No, ive actually never bothered with wearing ear plugs anywhere except from work when im working with loud machines. Maybe its stupid of me not to wear them at clubs, but then again, my tinnitus havent changed a bit since i got it.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I hve cranked my music in the car at times...just feels so good for the moment. Stress release and yeah makes shit disappear. Mine is not noise induced, so not sure if that makes a difference or not. There must be something to do with clean sounds vs noise as well. Like a crisp audio system doesn't hurt my ears like a ton of people shouting would, don't know if that's a emotional reaction or has something to do with the actual signal.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Wear ear plugs at the club man! It's dangerous even without T!

9. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I think this is a question that many on this board struggle with, myself included. My primary care doc and ENT both told me that hearing protection was not needed in everyday situations, even bars/restaurants/movies, so I was surprised to read that so many on this site seem to wear them all the time. I don't know the answer, but "what is too loud" probably varies from person to person. If I had to guess, I would say that many people on here are overprotecting, which makes sense because the idea of worsening your T can be terrifying. But if you let that fear control you, it will just make it worse. Do whatever you did before T, but use common sense and have some plugs with you just in case you need them (like your friends drag you into a bar with a live band, or something).

I got some custom plugs for loud situations, but I'm trying not to wear them unless I really have to. Most cafes, restaurants, bars, movies etc are probably fine (sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't). But definitely use plugs if you're operating machinery or going to a concert... that's how my T started.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I had new smoke detectors put in around my home, these suckers are loud, I mean ridiculous loud (I'm sure 110-120db at least! I stood outside with ear plugs and still loud!! The guy stood there, one foot away testing them, man!! Tried to say something, he just gave me a weird look. He proceeded around the complex doing this all day!! I bet he does this all day everyday. Guess you don't know until it's too late. Everyone warns about hearing damage, why not talk about screaming T?? This is way the f--k more scary than reduced hearing.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I've read that if one has to raise one's voice to be heard during a normal conversation that it's time to leave wherever you are or use ear plugs. Is that erroneous? It's not very practical at family gatherings after everyone's had a few drinks. :)

I don't protect my ears unless riding or using a hair dryer.

• Genius Genius x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah was going to say just that, voices get loud even with no background noise.

13. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
    14. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I dont protect my ears everywhere, i dont want to over protect and get H. Hair dryer, vaccume, if someone is using a chainsaw next door and im workin in the yard, loudass bars, loud movies in the theatre which i rarely ever see movies, dont go to clubs or concerts like ever so dont gotta worry bout that. Did have a few fireworks and firefrackers go off infront of my like ten feet away that i wasnt wearin plugs for cause the neighbor unexpectly lit them off but was okay thankgod.