What Is Normal Tinnitus Like?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jkph75, May 15, 2016.

1. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I am trying to figure out if my experience is normal compared to the rest others with tinnitus. I can hear it anywhere without background noise. I can hear it in a quiet room with just a TV on, in a doctor's office, etc. I can't hear it in a grocery store, on the street, etc. When it's quiet it's loud, like an alarm going off. The longer I hear it the louder it gets, yet it seems to take less sound to cover it up than the amount of sound it produces when it's quiet.

2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      That is exactly how my tinnitus is, on a good day, when I do not have a spike. When I have a spike or during the time when my T worsens, I can hear it over EVERYTHING.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is it normal to not be able to hear it outside, while driving etc.? I thought I had moderate T volume (although extremely bothersome for me) but it seems like most people can mask it to some degree. Only rushing water like the shower really masks mine. It hardly ever fluctuates either.

Maybe that has more to do with pitch than just volume?

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I think the frequency..not just the volume has something to do with how maskable t is. Also related to perception..though i know some wpuld disagree

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @Alue
      I think that the rushing water of the shower works for you not because it masks/covers/matches your frequency (the frequencies of rushing water are not high, they are pleasant, otherwise they wouldn't be used as sound therapy, they are under your regular pitch), but you do not hear your frequency because showering, with its plethora of sensorial perceptions (the water sounds, the heat of the water, the tactile sensations in almost all the sensors that are in the skin) steals your whole attention.
      In order to hear a sound we have to also have part of our attention available for it to get into our consciousness. That is why in a room with a tic tac wall clock we hear it "on and off". When we are focused on something else, we cease to be aware of it, we do not hear it, and when our mind is freed enough again we rediscover the sound of the wall clock.
      If you are an experienced driver, the act of driving takes too little of your attention (driving becomes almost a reflex, performed subconsciously) to not leave plenty of mind space for the perception of your permanent T sound).
      While driving I have plenty of attention for my thoughts, while showering it's like I have a break from my life, that is all I do, I just "shower", hard for me to think about anything (else).
      But that may happen just in my case so those are just my two cents.

6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      There is no such thing, s normal. All of us hear different things at different levels, some have soft, some have harsh (like mine)...

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I believe that by "normal tinnitus" that author meant most commonly encountered among T sufferers.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes that is what I meant. Does anyone know what most people with tinnitus experience?

9. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think normal T is like the T that you sometimes hear after a loud night out, a bit of background ringing that you notice when you go bed for the most part.

I I often wonder this as well as mine was not noise induced.

10. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      BTW, Telis, in what circumstances you got your horrendous T?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Wow. That sounds really nice. I am jealous. I wish mine was like that. I could just mask it and fall asleep.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @Jkph75
      There is no such thing as "normal tinnitus", actually.
      You invented this notion and now you are asking us what it sounds like. Not fair.
      There is "fleeting T" which lasts only a few seconds, for no apparent reason, and alomost everybody experienced it at some point in his life, and the T after a loud night out, or a concert, that goes away until next morning or at the most in a few days, which is called "disco T". The term is obsolete now because the times and the music genres changed, but "disco T" was the term for ringing after loud music back in the old days.
      I do not know how is called the T after a loud concert nowadays, but not certainly not "normal T".
      Is not "normal" to have T even for only hours after loud noise, that means that damage was done to the auditory system. That damage is cumulative, and after many evenings of "disco T" (I do not know if the term was replaced with a newer one, like "rock T", never heard of that one) one day the person will wake up with permanent T.
      There are also unlucky people who remained with bad permanent T after a single night out in a noisy bar.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      @Dana

Point taken. I am just trying to figure out how bad mine is in relation to everyone else's. I woke up with this gift 2.5 months ago, so I guess I am a relatively new member of this distinguished club.

14. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      2.5 months of T only are very far from being declared chronical T sufferer, so you are not yet a member of our "distinguished" club.
      Try to run away from this club, focus all the time on something else in order to forget about your T, and you will increase greatly the odds for your T to NOT become permanent.
      "Health clubs" are way more distinguished, take measures to join one of those. One measure is to not pay attention to your T, which is what you are doing now.
      Run away while you can!

BTW, We accept new members only after 18 months of T.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Barotrauma, ruptured ear drums and then ototoxic drugs inc antibiotic ear drops. I was olso hit in the head and had concussion shortly after as shown on a brain scan, I'm still dealing with post concussion symptoms as well, I think? It's been so long and not a lot has improved so not sure. I guess mine was made worse with noise but not until after the damage. I don't know if it's the T that bothers me or a combo of constant ear pain, dizziness, and H. It is however the T that seems to get me the most but the combo is bad. I just can't get my head off My ears and head in general, my ear pain gets worse with any noise and so does the T, impossible to mask or find any relief. If it was just T, maybe I could get busy and ignore it (not sure) but as I stated, I can't get my mind off my ears and have a lot of other ear/brain symptoms besides ringing. Maybe noise trauma is different, I don't know, I never really had a issue with a lot of noise until this so at times I wonder what those people with noise trauma experience. The first thing that comes to mind is minor ear ringing after a club, but who knows. I guess it's all different and no can really say. All just speculation I guess.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Only 3 months since onset... not part of the club? heheeh

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Haha. I think I deserve to be let in the club now. Here's my reasoning.

1. I have at least 3 different sounds.
      2. I have something more than just tinnitus b/c things get worse if I don't take Prednisone. Drs don't know what is wrong with me yet.
      3. Not to show off but I am already deaf in one ear.

I think this is worthy of early admittance.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Some truth here. I believe something like >half of new onset cases resolve with a year.

@Jkph75 Your current situation "sounds" like mine. I've had T for close to 25 years. I only hear it in quiet rooms, seldom in my quiet office, and never in stores or on the street. I believe our perceived loudness, if you will, is not common. I rate mine a 3 (varies from 2-4) on 1-10 scale.

You should mask it as needed, and think of anything but T. You'll likely habituate fairly easily if it's not too bad.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      It's hard to mask tinnitus when there is hearing loss, I have a masker but can't completely mask because I have hearing loss, anyone else with same problem?

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      How much hearing did you lose?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      BTW if you just lost your hearing the sound might go away entirely. There are people who lost all of their hearing in one ear and the noises went away after a while.

22. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      I lost it 4 months ago lt hear severe to moderate loss

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      In one ear or both?

24. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Unilateral left

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I would think that if you are in enough noise you would be able to mask it. You just wouldn't get much benefit from wearing a masker. Although, I really have no clue what it is like to hear out of 2 ears. Thankfully, my deaf ear is quiet.

And 4 months is very recent for such a loss. They think I had labyrintitis and lost a small amount of hearing. My Neurologist said that it would take a year or more for my ear to heal.

26. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Your T is in the good ear? And the deaf one is silent?

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yep. Never had tinnitus until recently. Sometimes I think I hear/feel a high pitched tinnitus in my deaf ear but I think that is some sort of nerve overstimulation. I never had it before

28. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Weird, I got SSHL on 4/2 and immediately had loud intrusive T , for first 6 weeks I was anxious and suicidal now I am just annoyed. Noise will not allow me to enjoy life! I hope I can habituate, I had one or two days in last 2 weeks were my
      T was a low hiss and the high pitch eeee was not Audible I could live with that !
      Last few days I have high pitched loud eeeeee and a lower tone hissssssssss
      How long have u had the T

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      5 months. I got it a month after I had my daughter. I was also dizzy and had a clogged feeling in my ear. At least that has resolved for the most part. Now I am left with this tremendous noise. It still makes me anxious b/c I am afraid that I will lose the rest of my hearing which doesn't scare me as much as this noise getting louder. Mine is pretty much the same every day even though the sounds change. Recently, I had a few very low days. Then yesterday was out of control. Today back to"normal". Very strange. They are still telling me that it might go away or at least become a lot quieter. Idk what I think about that. What are they telling you?

30. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      I had steroid injection normal MRI and hearing loss and T continue, I also feel blocked it's 4 months now, at John Hopkins university a otoneurologist told that there is nothing to do he told in 6 months it will be 'less' intrusive ?
      I had 2 hrs of severe vertigo about 3 months ago, now I just feel unbalanced
      Dom