What Is This Lump in Front of My Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Am92, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Am92

Am92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assaulted
      Hi everyone,

Over 3 years ago I was assaulted by some thugs that resulted in me taking a heavy punch to the TMJ/ear area that gave me sudden tinnitus that I have 24/7 to this day.

I have a lump in front of my ear/directly on my TMJ on the affected side of tinnitus and I'm suspicious as to whether it can be related to my tinnitus.

I'd say it's about the size of a jelly bean and feels like a ligament. It seems to disappear when I open my mouth wide and reappears when it closes. This makes me believe it is a ligament of some sort. A doctor has said he can see inflammation inside my ear canal towards the side of this lump. It just feel different i.e. hot, pain in that area and of course tinnitus. I can also make my tinnitus considerably louder by moving my jaw and also my neck.

I supposedly have no hearing loss and instead super hearing according to my audiologist, yet I've had this 24/7 tinnitus for 3 years now.

Does anybody know what this lump could be and if it can be related to my tinnitus?

Thanks.

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Can you post a picture of it?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Am92

Am92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assaulted
      It's not visible to the eye, it's more something you have to feel. It's right next to my ear, probably the opposite end of the ear canal walls (if that's the correct way to describe it). It seems to be vertical in its positioning, along the back of the condyle in the TMJ area. It is as close to my ear without being in my ear. It's not on my opposite side which is symptom and tinnitus free.

It feels like it's at the back of the condyle but it could be above or on top of it.

Thanks.

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does it feel like a zit or a cyst? Can you move it around?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Am92

Am92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assaulted
      I wouldn't say so. It feels more like a ligament or a tendon to me. Yes it moves but not much, however when I open my jaw it disappears, only to reappear in exactly the same place. It never moves from its position nor does it get any bigger or smaller.

Thanks.

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Damn. That's MRI territory but those are very loud and dangerous. Please keep us updated.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Am92

Am92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assaulted
      I've been pushing for an MRI to get it investigated, however doctors keep dismissing it as having any sort of relevance to my tinnitus. Not sure how they can do that if they can't even explain what it is. I will do thanks.

8. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      @Am92 did you every find out what the lump was? I too have one right at the right condyle. Happens to also be the side of my TMJ and tinnitus. Only have had CBCT done which does not show soft tissue. No MRI yet.

Thanks,
      Ken