What Is Your Favorite Hobby?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Taylorslay, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      Ever since I was small I enjoyed handy crafts. I always loved the idea of taking something and making something out of it. Currently, I'm really into crocheting. Its kinda like knitting but not the same. I've made stuffed animals, scarves, blankets etc from crocheting.

Something else I always loved was taking a walk. It clears my mind. I am a person who tends to zone out, nearly all the time. I can go through my day mindlessly. But I particularly zone out when I go on walks. Whenever I gt worked up, it calms me right down. I always loved taking walks in nature. Like on a trail. Sadly, I live in the city. Where there aren't exactly any woodlands near by.

What do you enjoy doing nowadays?

• Like Like x 3
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I like to go on road trips.

• Like Like x 4
    3. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I mostly pursue things with varying degrees of intensity: computing science, music, photography, traveling, reading (novels, politics). I take these too seriously to be filed under 'hobby', so I'll go with cooking and learning foreign languages on this one :)

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What about road trips is your favorite? Is it exploration? Company with other people?

Tell me about your favorite road trip.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

That's a lot of hobbies :0 But of course its great to branch out into other aspects of life! I also love cooking too. Whats your favorite dish? How many languages do you know and or are trying to learn?

6. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know! I'm becoming a jack of all trades - master of none, but there are just so many interesting fields.

I don't really have a favorite dish, anything that's vegan will do, and I like making anything from gallo pinto to curries to Asian food to sandwiches to muffins. Well, anything but traditional Dutch food. One kind of vegetable in a single dish is not enough variation for me :) To me, it's another way of expressing creativity. It's the fun of making something that didn't exist before, whether it's a song, a stuffed animal or food.

Growing up in The Netherlands, Dutch, English, German and French are taught in school. Sometimes also Latin, Greek and Spanish, but I ended up not taking these classes. I've tried to learn some Korean as I have a friend who's Korean, but it's incredibly hard. I'm always trying to improve my English, but I'd almost have to move to an English-speaking country to make a significant leap of progress at this point.
      Currently, I mostly study Swedish as it's a very nice sounding language and I'd like to travel to, and possibly move to, Sweden sometime.

What do you like to cook?

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      For me, life is about getting new impressions and memories. The best way to get new impressions is to travel. You can walk, ride a bike, or drive a car. When you walk or ride a bike, the rate at which you get new impressions is too slow (although the memories might be more intense or more meaningful). When you drive, the rate at which new memories are made is just right.

I prefer to be alone (on those trips and everywhere else). I never have any reservations. This way, if the weather changes I can drive to where the weather is still good. It is good to feel free and to be able to be flexible about how much time I spend at each attraction.

My favorite destination is Iceland. It is as scenic and interesting as it gets. You would enjoy hiking in Iceland. I mostly sit on or in my parked car, and admire the views and enjoy the solitude. I remember spending over an hour watching the wind swaying (in intricate patterns) wild flowers filling a meadow.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I love to baking. I love baking a variety of goods such as pie and little dessert bars. I also love cooking up omelets and cooking up curry.

Your written English is pretty good.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I love all places mountains. Ironically I live in Florida. The most flat landed state in the United States. We have beaches, we have reefs, we have swamps. But no mountains. Argh! I also loved it when I traveled up north and went hiking up in the mountains. There is something about the raised elevation that just makes me so darn happy.

10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I'm really good at origami.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Rainbowsheep
      Cheerful

Rainbowsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, I suppose
      I have been riding since I was 8, so obviously that is a favourite hobby of mine. Unfortunately I haven't got the energy to take care of my lovely pony, so right now he is stabled at my father's until I beat my depression and get my energy back!
      Also I love writing and spoken word poems. I always get a kick from performing on stage and competing in poetry slam competitions.

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I moved to the West Coast over a decade ago, and I still can't get enough of the mountains. The most spectacular views in North America are at Glacier National Park in Montana.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Riding sound wonderful. I hear its a lot of work though and getting close and building trust with your horse. I don't know much about it but, I have friends who do haha.

Poetry Slam :0 I've never heard of anything like that. Tell me about it.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whats the most intricate origami you have made?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Oh my... I checked google images and that places looks beautiful. I'll defiantly need to take a trip there once I graduate. My favorite state park here in Florida is O'leno State Park. I use to be a part of FFA (Future Farmers of America) and before I got T I went to their annual Forestry Camp because I was planning to compete in the State Forestry contest for my school. I absolutely loved it.

I think one of the most nasty and fun things about Florida is swimming in lakes. Most lakes either smell bad, look brutishly brown or copper colored or are infested with alligators. Usually all 3 of those. It more or less makes me uncomfortable swimming in those lakes because of the alligators but, like all animals they would rather not mess with you. That doesn't negate the fact they're quite deadly. However, there are some beautiful spring streams all through out the state, filed with manatees and all sorts of crabs and fish. I always wanted to scooba dive. My mom was a scooba diver when she was young, my dad was a competitive swimmer. He even won best in the state for back stroking one year. My grandfather was a free diver. I don't know, there's always been something about swimming and being in water that I've always loved.

But of course when I went up north I fell in love with the mountainous landscape.

So much to choose!

• Like Like x 1
    16. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I made one of these once.
      maxresdefault.jpg

• Like Like x 5
      • Creative Creative x 2
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What are some of the places where one is likely to encounter a manatee?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Weeki Wachee Springs River is my favorite place for Manatees. They live in fresh water. They also don't like murky water like Alligators.

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you! It looks amazing. It also happens to be located in the part of Florida that I liked the most.

• Winner Winner x 1
    20. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      I enjoy playing chess, creating note cards and laminated bookmarks, reading technical books on forensic science, composing prose and creating pique assiette.

• Winner Winner x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Tell me about your favorite book and why it is your favorite.

I had to look up what pique assiette is. That is pretty awesome. Upload a picture of one of your works in a post? Please.

22. Artur
      Wishful

Artur Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2017 or 30/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      My favourite hobby is probably doing mathematics and wasting time on youtube.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Me too but with linguistics and languages.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. Artur
      Wishful

Artur Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2017 or 30/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I'm very interested in linguistics but am very lazy towards learning more on that topic.

• Like Like x 3
    25. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Yeah it's pretty complicated. I try to learn about everything. The more complicated the better. That's how I grew up anyways.

• Winner Winner x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Haha I know the feeling when it comes to YT. I love watching Youtube videos.

27. Rainbowsheep
      Cheerful

Rainbowsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, I suppose
      It is and I miss it awfully! But I guess I'll just have to be patient and take my time to get back on track.

Haha, not many have, but well. It is basically a competition in Spoken Word performance. There's usually 10 performers in the first round off the competition, who perform some sort of spoken word act. Usually it is some sort of poem but it doesn't have to be. It can be anything from stand up to a story, but you aren't allowed to use props Or instruments and you only have 3:10 minutes to perform. If you use more time you'll get penalty points depending on how much more time you use. Anyhow, when you're done performing you'll get points from five randomly chosen jugdes among the crowd. The 6 performers who got the best points will go on to round two. They then perform a new spoken word act and get points again. The points from the first round are then added to the points from round to and the three performers with the best points go on to the final, where yet a new act is performed and new points are given. The performer who gets the most points in the final is the winner of the competition. Poetry slam is sometimes described af the martial art of spoken word :D
      If you want examples of what spoken word could be, you can search for spoken word on YouTube. A favorite spoken word performer of mine is Sarah Kay :D

• Winner Winner x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

That sounds super intense :woot:. That probably takes a lot of time and dedication to be very good at. I applaud that.:)

29. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Mathematics, Economics, Linguistics, learning Foreign Languages (speak 3 already), reading travel books, listening to Greek and other Balkan music, reading History books, walking, exercising, hiking, traveling, etc

• Winner Winner x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're life seems very well rounded. I'm kinda jelly :p. I think reading is a perfect think for you right now. Let's the mind come at easy and bring imagination. Imagination of what life was like from the Mongols to a dancing banana:rockingbanana:.