What Is Your Philosophy re: Dealing with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bobbie7, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      My philosophy in dealing with my tinnitus is simply... I acknowledge that I HATE having this, accept that there is a new interloper in my Life, I must do all I can to learn about this malady, search and read about all the different self-treatment options which may to some degree ameliorate my discomfort and then, ultimately.... become so absorbed in whatever I am doing that it retreats into the background as much as possible. Of course when I actively listen to it, it can drive me crazy since it has gotten worse (louder than in the beginning) but it does take some self-discipline to become - so to speak - master over T and re-direct my attention away from it. After all, I realize it is here to stay, unfortunately, so if I want to have any measure of quality of Life, I just have to deal with it. I do have to say though... that it has taken me much practice to accomplish this but thankfully, I have. Can I say that I do not miss the quietude which I had always relished and relied on when I've wanted to be alone? No... I can not. Of course I miss the absolute stillness of sound but it is what it is --- I don't have that any more and ruminating on what was... serves no constructive purpose for me.

Oh.. I know... I know... it is far easier said than done but when you read those countless past success stories and hear from the many active members here who have habituated, you really do become heartened and see that people can lead to a rich and fulfilling Life despite T. I am fully aware there are many here who have had to give up their chosen professions and I can empathize although I can not fully imagine their pain. Life will always throw in front of us many obstacles along the way, that's one thing we can count on and we have no other choice but to knock them down, one by one so we can triumph.

There is a particular phase I like which strikes a chord:

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

This is a Chinese proverb meaning better to do something about a problem than just complain about it. Further, a candle is a small answer to a large problem, but it is still a worthy step in the right direction, rather than just bemoaning the problem (of darkness) (tinnitus)

I've explained what my personal philosophy is and each person his his/her own approach.... what is yours?

Sending my best wishes.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Actually fight it and not give up. Best option there is.

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      In all honesty, we cannot fully control our fate, when it comes to tinnitus. It can either get lower/better or stay the same or just increase in volume and intensity. The one thing we can control is how we react to the tinnitus, this is very crucial. Negativity and anger can raise the tinnitus levels and make it even more horrible.

Having a calm manner, is the way to go when dealing with it. I have been at this almost 30 years and i feel fantastic, even with the loud tea kettle from hell, that lives in my head 24-7.

Your mentality about life and tinnitus, makes all the difference. The mind is a powerful thing and will react and pay lots of attention, to something IF we let it....Be well and good luck in your journey :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. canuhearmenow
      Musical

canuhearmenow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drug Induced
      Things could be worse.

5. UpDownAround
      Spaced

UpDownAround Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Some chronology in the post and responses. The poster who has had it about a year says fight it, the OP who has had it about two years is turning the corner on acceptance and an old timers who have had it about as long as I have are deep into acceptance/habituation and looking at the bright side. I agree with fishbone about what we can and cannot control.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perhaps I am "lucky" as you said but consider this: An "older" person who has perhaps far more to deal with than you who are younger... PLUS tinnitus may not, in fact, be so lucky after all. Be young or older, each of us will have our crosses to bear and they will not stand up well to measurement/comparison. Shall I say, compare the cancer which I had with your tinnitus? No, surely I will not for each malady and it's magnitude is different and the sufferer's mental health must also be considered. Many here suffer from co-morbidity; they not only suffer with tinnitus but mental illness as well which greatly lowers the threshold of tolerance and may make habituation far more difficult to achieve.

There are many factors to be considered before you can make such a statement. I caution you to never envy others unless you know exactly what the circumstances in their lives are.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      My philosophy is that if there is a problem, the only satisfactory outcome is to fix the problem. I will not accept it or try to contort my thinking to make it okay somehow, but rather try to cure it, and remain angry until and unless that happens. Basically I'm 0% "accept the things I cannot change" and 100% "change the things I can". Maybe that makes me unwise :p

No ENT supported my wish to look for a solution or would help me at all. After 4 years of experimenting I found what was causing it and now it's been gone for 2+ years. Now every time some lesser problem bothers me I remind myself "I thought I'd never hear silence again" and poof, I get perspective. The experience has made me a happier, calmer person.

There is no substitute for a solution.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Salih

Salih Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Care to elaborate what the problem and the solution was?

9. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
    10. UpDownAround
      Spaced

UpDownAround Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That's an answer, but not the only answer for everybody. The flip side of what you say is that I have never spent anywhere close to 4 years angry about something and I hope I never do; it doesn't sound very healthy. I don't think there is an answer for every one. I looked at your old thread and there were some clean sleepers who didn't experience remission.
      I am glad you were able to get relief, especially since you would have been so unhappy if you didn't.

11. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Bobbie7.....this is a truly wonderful piece of writing, of thinking, of conceptualising.
      This is the first time I have come across you on here - I’m not that great at navigating this site yet, but I’m so glad that I found you, courtesy of Kolisar’s recommendation.
      Thankfully, I have many more posts to read from you,
      Very best wishes
      Jazzer x

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for your kind words which are appreciated.

Sending my best wishes,
      Barbara