What Kind of Jobs Can You Do When You Can't Use Your Hands or Talk for More Than an Hour or So a Day

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Sen, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      What kind of jobs can you do when you can't use your hands or talk for more than an hour or so a day?

2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Can you specify what you mean when you say not use your hands? No lifting or fine motorskills? Or no hands at all ever?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I have some kind of undiagnosed RSI that causes pain and weakness in my hands if I use them for just about anything. Typing and gaming are the biggest offenders. I can type for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time before the pain sets in, and then I have to rest for like half an hour to an hour before I type more.

Anything involving repetitive fine motorskills affects it similarly to typing. Heavy lifting or anything requiring a strong grip is even worse.

I can do light day to day tasks around the house for longer, like laundry, some cleaning and simple meal prep, because they are intermittent and mostly non-repetitive. But if I overdo those things they will also cause pain.

At its worst the pain is like a 7-8/10, and my hand will literally seize and my tendons will start twitching and claw up. When it gets really bad I have to spend weeks without using a PC at all and have to save all my hand strength for daily living. Episodes like that have happened at least 5 times over the past 4 years.

4. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is very unfortunate and sounds like a pain in the a** to deal with. But I'm a little surprised that you say it's undiagnosed since it has such impact on your life. Someone in the medical field must have some knowlegde about this and offer something that can improve it, at least a little bit.

So, a job where you don't have to do repetitive tasks and avoid frequently using your hands. Most jobs like this would of course include talking, but if I remember correctly you have a bothersome hyperacusis. Only a few things comes to mind. I guess being a secretary or cashier at some place that has very few visitors/customers can fit. I recall some days when I was secretary at the hospital. Nothing really happened, maybe 5 patients checked in. I was literally paid to sit and drink coffee and stare out the window. A place where things are slow like this everyday, perhaps?

I don't know if it can count as a real job. Reviewing movies/texts or something similar at home then writing short articles/reviews for web-magazines or something.

Other than that maybe shorter hours?

These aren't really good suggestions and finding someone who's hiring for a suitable job is probably the hardest part.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      My speech isn't limited because of hyperacusis, but rather because of a violent spasm of muscles in my left ear that occurs primarily when I speak. It hurts and makes me dizzy, and after enough talking (10-20 mins?) I subconsciously begin to slur my speech.

This also prevents me from using text to speech software to avoid having to type.

If I didn't have this spasm I would be able to manage speech irrespective of my H.

I wish it were so simple. I am very limited in my options for doctors I can see about it due to how the health care system works in my area and my very limited financial situation.

I had nerve tests a few years ago when it wasn't quite as bad, and everything checked out ok. I personally believe it is tendon related.

I do routine stretching and mild strengthening exercises, and they help keep me out of pain at rest, but they don't restore normal function.

6. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I am trying to get a job shelving books at a library. I'm not sure if that would be ok with your hands, but for the ears and not talking, it is ideal, I want to so bad.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am very sorry to hear about this @Sen and hope you will be able to get medical help that will make your life easier.
      Michael

8. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ugh, it is so frustrating to see how different health care systems are in each country/place and how they sometimes works against people instead of helping them.

9. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm sorry to hear about all your challenges.

There is a guy at the company I work for that has severe disabilities. I don't know him very well because he works at a different location, but he drives around in a motorized wheelchair and the use of his arms seems limited. He wears a helmet, he can't speak (I've said hello to him and he understands and kind of grunts/mumbles back a response). He can get out words, but it's very labored. As far as I can tell he has all of his mental faculties which makes it even more sad. I'm fairly certain he works in product inspection.