What Kind of Noise Caused a Permanent Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gosia, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I'd like to sum up a few things. Being quite paranoid about experiencing any slightest further damage from everyday , but not natural sounds, I'd like to ask you about your experience : Have you experienced a permanent spike from any outside noise ? ( a car horn , train horn , ambulance siren ?) Or maybe your spike appeared but was only temporary ? I'd like you to write also about the sounds that are often suspected to cause damage but haven't caused any spike when you were exposed : f.ex. : a door slammed very close to your ear or a car honked right next to you etc. Listing this can help people gain awareness about what might be harmful and what is just paranoia, cause measuring decibels on every step is not possible and we just can't know how loud what is.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. engapol

engapol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      I made the mistake of going to a night club after I got T (for no apparent reason), the music was absolutely deafening and I got a spike in both ears that lasted a few hours before I went to sleep. When I woke up the next morning however, it was back to its normal level. Having said that, I'm pretty sure most people in the same room without T would've got some temporary ringing as well.

However other than that I've had no problems with other sources of loud noise. I go to the city most days of the week and there's constantly construction noises/sirens/large vehicles, but short periods of exposure to them hasn't made the T any worse. Personally, I just take the same precautions that someone without T would take, i.e loud noises are OK just don't stay near them for prolonged periods.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Thank you :) I should have started with myself maybe : I experienced so many sounds that a lot gave me heart attack but I seem to still have the same, crappy T, changing a lot, but globally the same :
      1 ) very loud music in town ( mapping projection ) - I had earplugs, but at the time I didn't know we cannot really protect ourselves from bass noise that is perceived trough bone conduction only. The noise was just unbelievable for 10 mins. After that my T got...calmer ! Can't tell for how long. Today , knowing what I know, I'd never do it again.
      2) train horn a few meters away from me
      3) ambulance siren went off 2, 5 m away from me
      4) huge, metal window slammed 1 m away from me - twice .
      5) countless heavy doors slamming around 1 m away
      6) car horns..I'm pretty paranoid about those ones so I never really got one very close to me , even in Palermo - the loudest city in the world.
      7) Kettle 'explosion' , I was in the kitchen
      8) metal lid of the kitcheneete falling - metal on metal - trust me. You'd jump too.
      I don't remember other noises for now, but the number of times I got a panick attack because sth loud going off next to me made me start this thread. Even if I'm told that this kind of things can't damage hearing, I'm still all worried that they do ! Only in time it's a little easier cause with the experience gained I can tell myself ' come on. You've been there before, nothing happened '. That's why I'm asking you now..to learn from your experience too.

• Genius Genius x 1
    4. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I've gotta spike just this weekend when. I was going down the elevator , as I was near the buttons there is a speaker that makes noise if something happens , my ear was just next to it , then someone stepped in and the elevator exceeded the weight limit and made the loudest / most annoying sound I ever heard and my t spiked from that night but I still went to wedding :)
      I always get exposed to car horns , people dropping stuff , door slamming etc ... But I can't really protect from these as I live in a very busy city noisy as well @Gosia

• Like Like x 1
    5. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      We can never know if a spike is permanent until we die, because any day it could change.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      That's not the point of the topic, thanks;) You've got nothing to add from your experience ?

• Like Like x 1
    7. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have but the word permanent is not good, it means forever, but T changes constantly. Who knows what is permanent. How about saying long term, long lasting ?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Well, sure,it's hard to define .. but what we seem to consider permanent here would be sth that has appeared for a reason the description of which I'm asking and hasn't calmed down since..would say at least a few months..Or if a person describes the situation we will be able to judge by ourselves cause 'long - lastinng ' is as well semantically unclear. For sure I'm mostly addressing the T veterans..Sb who has just got it can't tell which way things will develop, sure.

• Like Like x 1
    9. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe I'm not a T veteran, sorry only 3.5 years. Right now I'm in a setback/spike, God help me if its permanent, goes back to April so 6 months. That was medication based, not noise. I've gone from total habituation, near daily silence to right back at the beginning 2012 style.

10. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    11. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      A screeching, high pitched speaker noise in a ghetto pos grocery store. I think my tinnitus worsened after that.

I also have numerous ambulance sirens around me and various traffic. But, I think the loud noise in the store did something.

Just before that, I often wore foam ear plugs in stores. But, I seemed to be getting severe ear pain after wearing them. Also, my hyperacusis was much worse back then. I am not sure if wearing ear plugs a lot played a part in that or not.

But, the screeching sound in the store was very loud and I believe my tinnitus didn't have drastic fluctuations after that and worsened in general.