What Should My Next Move Be (Use a Night Guard, Dentist, ENT, or Just Wait)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bunny_Lover1230, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Bunny_Lover1230

Bunny_Lover1230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj/chewing gum everyday for 3 months
      I knew I had TMJ for 2 years. I never thought anything of it. I thought it just was that my jaw cracked. And while in school I had this habit of chewing gum everyday, I did that 6 hours a day for 3 months.

Last June I got a really bad cold, and then an ear infection. The day after the ear infection I had the ringing started in my ear, like an old TV type of buzz/ringing sound.

So I went to the ENT. She tested everything, no nerve damage, hearing loss, etc, and I am really young

I doubt it’s noise induced. I don’t work in a noisy environment and I don’t use headphones. She did say it might be from TMJ and from my nerves being irritated.

So I went to the dentist who found out I do in fact have TMJ. Got a custom fitted mouth guard to only be used at night.

It’s been 3 months with no improvement on anything. My jaw locked the first week, then went back to just clicking. Nothing has changed. I can make the ringing worse by clenching my teeth down, moving my nose down, opening my mouth wide, and moving my neck muscles.

So should I continue with the night guard, go back to the dentist, go back to the ENT, or just wait??

2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Ongoing TMJ issue- have your wisdom teeth removed, and see an orthodontist for a potential bite issue. This is what made my TMJ issue better (although not tinnitus related), which took me years to figure out. There are also oral surgeons who specialize in TMJ so you may need to seek one out.