What Sleeping Pills Do You Take?

Discussion in 'Support' started by dv6880, Jul 23, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. dv6880

dv6880 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've been having a hard time sleeping lately probably because I'm new to t and haven't fully adjusted. I took Xanax for a few weeks which worked but heard the horror stories of addiction and whitdrawl symptoms so I stopped.

I tried otc sleeping pills in the past and they made me feel all jumpy and even worse.

What do you guys take that isn't as addicting or have bad whitdrawl symptoms and helps you sleep but also doesn't make you groggy most of the next day?

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      pot works pretty well if it's legal / available, and if you can deal with the anxiety.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Karl28
      Wishful

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Temazepam

4. whiskeykonteq
      Balanced

whiskeykonteq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6th Feb 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      remeron 30mg

5. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise..no idea.. unicorns?
      Melontonin 10mg or Valerian root, Or Agar 35.

6. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      Remeron 30 mg

7. Zeneth
      Hurting

Zeneth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Unknown At This Point.... most likely loud sound?
      Melatonin 3mg

8. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Melatonin 6 mg

9. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mirtazapine/remeron at 15mg.

10. Gr8fulDude
      Balanced

Gr8fulDude Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      It's true that long term regular use of benzos like xanax, ativan (lorazepam) and temazepan can be addictive. Remeron/Mirtazapine at low doses can also nicely sedate but they can leave you groggy and require tapering from long term use. Imovane is another prescribed sleeping pill but it leaves a strange tinny taste for some. Naturals like melatonin, valarian and magnesium can help. I find that MJ, meditation and deep breathing exercises work best.

11. Dan-in-MD

Dan-in-MD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have Xanax to help me relax and deal with the stress. I take it spaced out evenly over the whole day. I'm in a car right now with the AC blowing and my high pitched tinnitus is louder than all of it. I try to ignore it, tune it out, but it's hard.

Other "substances" are not an option as I have a security clearance to maintain which I won't risk.

Longer term, Xanax is not a solution. I will have to taper myself off it slowly. I might switch to Klonopin to see if it helps.

For sleeping, I have 12.5mg controlled release Ambien. I wake up alert from that. Other medications like Unison leave me groggy for half a day.

BTW, I take two nasal sprays to keep my ears and sinuses clear. I haven't had a congestion or ear fullness since the onset of my tinnitus.

12. rzhang
      Transparent

rzhang Member

seroquel

13. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      In the beginning when I first got T I could not sleep for fear of this high pitched loud noise in my head. I took ambien and would go to sleep in 15 minutes but would only sleep 4 hours. So I cut them in half and would put a bottle of water by my bedside and took the other half and did quite well with that method. Eventually started falling asleep on my own and stopped the ambien...I still play nature sounds from utube at night with water noise and birds chirping for a nice calm night of sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Dan-in-MD

Dan-in-MD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have an app on my iPhone called "Sleep Sounds HQ" which has a variety of sounds. The one I like best is Cologne Thunderstorm. I have a fan next to my bed and I play this as well.

The only problem is getting the sound to my other ear laying on my pillow, so I contort my pillow to allow both ears to hear the sound.

At some point I may invest in an under pillow speaker.

tinnitus truly sucks

(Yes, ambien works, but it takes about 22mg to knock me out for 8 hours)

If I only take a 12.5, sometimes I use half a unisom, but only if 12 hours before I have to wake up.

15. wanda evans

wanda evans Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      age related hearing loss
      10 mg nortriptyline for the past 2 months. One night I forgot to take it and couldn't fall asleep. Got up, took it, and was out within 10 minutes.

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. william adams
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wanda does the nortriptyline have any positive effects on your T. In Kevin Hogans book he claimed he took 0.5 xanax three times a day and nortriptyline at night and his T backed off completely but could not stay on it for it made his blood pressure high....

17. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Mostly ototoxic. Not your fault there simply aren't meds for Tinnitus sufferers.

18. wanda evans

wanda evans Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      age related hearing loss
      Something is helping, not sure what, but I do know my T is milder now after a spike 3 months ago and it doesn't overwhelm me like it did then. I've wondered if the med's antidepressant effect lessens my perception of T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Dont know how severe your T is but i strongly suggest trying to do without...i am proof it can be done..i get REM sleep and sleep as long as i need to without any drugs...i play my white noise app and blend the sound of my T with the sound of my sink....its not so bad..sounds like the bathroom from hell lol the key is to trick your mind into thinking its a sound coming from outside..you will get used to it eventually

20. firealarm

firealarm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fire Alarm
      Ambien is quick to work and has a short life so there is no groggyness the next morning.

21. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      5 years of temazapam every few days and I'm not even slightly addicted.

I went through about 12 different sleeping drugs and many aggravated the tinnitus but temazapam works a treat. I take it reluctantly though.

22. jumping jack
      Probing

jumping jack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental work
      Valerian root -- the best placebo money can buy.

Nah, kidding. I think it really does have an ingredient that can be called active. In my limited experience (and possibly just in my imagination; see above), it has helped me calm down as my mind usually stays rather active into the wee hours.

At the end of the day (ooh, what a pun! and my first in years), whatever you find does the job and doesn't carry irreversible long term effects is good in my book. Sleep is as vital as water.

23. william adams
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Had 5 vodkas and cranberry toninght and one shot of Johnnie Walker black and my T I think is gone for the moment but will probably be back in the morning but dont really pay that much attention to it anymore for I cant do anything about it and really got to the point I dont care...

• Like Like x 1
    24. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      To those who take big doses of melatonin .. From what I've read, you really shouldn't. If you take more than your body needs, you risk disrubting your hormonal system and ven on this forum some people confirm that bigger doses work worse than smaller ones. I stopped taking melatonin cause I felt that my sleep is uneasy with that. After about a year of tinnitus, I could sleep witout any meds. Now I have a massive spike and depression coming from that o I take a tiny bit of melatonin ( must be 1mg ) and a med which consists of many herbs as well as l-theanine - 60 mg, l-tryptofan - 50 mg, GABA ( 25 mg - very tiny amount that can't really influence the brain functioning ) and some magnesium and B6. Otherwise, ATARAX, hydroxisin. Doesn't cause dependence like benzo and is by far the most efficient drug for me. Yet , I try not to take it unless I really can' t fall asleep.