What to Do When Masking Doesn't Work?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amy, Jul 31, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Amy
      Tired

Amy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      What do you guys do when masking doesn't help your T? Mine is so loud and high-pitched in one ear that I can't cover it with white-noise when I try to sleep. I'm using a fan, a window A/C unit, and a white noise app on my phone. It does the job ok enough when I'm awake, but as soon as I try to sleep the T is out of control and can't be covered.

This is a recent development so hoping it'll level off soon... Thanks in advance.

2. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I was never able to mask my T with white noise.
      It sounds like a dog whistle, ultra high-pitched and I hear it everywhere.
      Only sound that interferes with it are high-pitched cricket sounds.
      The past days, I got a little bit pi.... of masking. So I am now listening to my T the whole time trying to stand the noise and not freaking out.

3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Crickets, water... simplyrain iOS app works for me, especially when you set the water sound intensity to 70+

4. Hattukoira
      Tired

Hattukoira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
      If whitnoise doesn't work try blue noise (or pink, brown, violet & gray noise).

5. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      I agree about crickets noises. I sleep with them almost every night. I can sleep without them now, but they're kind of natural and comforting anyway.

White/brown/pink/violet/gray - whatever color noise we're talking about - they never worked for me. They were 1. almost more ugly and annoying than my T to me and 2. made my T seem louder since those frequencies were below the T and so artificial sounding. It was doubly distressing. I think the natural noises are emotionally calming and take your memory to a good place along with mixing the T with something familiar and around the same kind of sound as high-pitched T. Even if the crickets don't completely mask it, they blend a little better.

Give it a shot, I hope it helps!

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. cocobean

cocobean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2013
      I have an app called Deep Sleep which I downloaded from Play Store. It has all sorts of masking sounds from rain water to crickets to wind and fire.

Hope this might help.

7. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      If you listen to your t, which is annoying, but if you do so u will get used to it faster then any other sound will help, force yourself to hear it, its a good therepy but hard to do, it works though! I did it and im now totally habituated!

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I am glad for you you habituated. Well done.
      I don't have to force myself to hear it. Because I hear it anyway over all other sounds. But I can mix it with cricket sounds.
      Ultra high-pitched like a dog whistle. Difficult for me listening to this the whole day.
      How is your T?

9. I prefer my T in front of crickets, since my T gone up in frequenzy (used to mask it ok with heavy rain) i tried to sleep with the sounds of cricket but that was pretty hard i must admit.

10. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi Nick. Did your T change to higher frequency?
      How are you at the moment? I read it goes better for you.
      During the night, I do not use any sounds.
      When I am tired, I go to bed (usually always at the same time), listen to my T for two minutes and then have 8-9 hours sleep. The struggle starts then in the morning again.

11. Hello Martin, Mornings are rough sometimes. I am doing so so to be honest. The sounds is higher in frequenzy than Before, don´t know if it´s my jaw doing tricks on me. Slept without mouth guard for 3 nights when i was away fishing, paying for that atm. Pretty bad pain in the jaw and pressure around the ears, need to see a doctor for some strong painkillers on monday. How are you?

12. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi Nick. Yes, mornings are bad. I wake up and my stomache directly hurts. This is because of having another long day with T in front of me. Nevertheless, I do what I would have done without T. I am on vacation in Bavaria. Going swimming with my kids, riding bikes. Today we rented a boat and shipped on the Chiemsee here. Going out for dinner every day. I was even jogging with my wife yesterday. Nevertheless, my T is screaming as shrill as always. Awful. Nevertheless will go swimming again tomorrow or go to the driving range or whatever the day will bring.

13. Amy
      Tired

Amy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      The higher frequency is hard. That's what I'm going through right now. I'm trying my best to ignore it, mask as best as possible (rain/ocean noise helps me the most, I've found), and not give up hope that I'll habituate. Good luck to everyone else on here, it's really rotten sometimes.

14. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Another here Amy ,loud all day,tried hair dryer ,to see if to drop it,no such luck ,trouble with mine when high or low it goes inwards over the head,so both been like this all blinking day,the pits of a day it's been all round.Then got earache at tea time 5 pm in left ear,my worst T one,still there even took a paracetamol no joy.Hope were lot happier come Sunday.Yes it's truly rotten when that bad day jumps in,but we survive them hey.

15. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      hi, pink noise and white noise also did not work for me. what did work was music therapy. see my thread in alternative treatment, and you can download the music tracks my daughter prepared for me using audacity, and they are waiting in dropbox just for you to down load, and after just a week of music, my tinnitus was getting a lot better. now i have been able to discontinue having to use imovane, and my other drug use is way down as well. i am looking into whether cannabis might help music work better, i am not sure and i wouldn't mind giving it a trial, as a guinea pig.

16. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

I haven't heard of music therapy but I'm definitely going to try this.

Can I ask what kind of tinnitus you have? As in what tone? Does music therapy work for tinnitus across all ranges, or people with multiple tones?

As far as the cannabis, I am pretty sure that it makes tinnitus worse for the vast majority of people. You could be the exception though and perhaps the relaxation would help. If it does spike it will at least return to normal within a few hours.

17. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Is high pitch as well, it was loud at first and it is still loud but when you habituate it seems to have gone low but its just the brain that got used to it, if something it has gotten a little louder comparing to sounds I used to hear to mask it, lime fans and airconds, but it just seems low because the brain learns to avoid it and forget about it at times, it does it by itself, you will habituate because your brain realizes its got no choice, I used to think I had H as well but it was all part of my psychological effect, now I can go to movies and it doesnt bother me, but at first it would drive me crazy, it will get better for all of you, it just takes a couple of months or maybe a little longer....

• Like Like x 1
    18. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Thanks Raymundo.
      That is really encouraging.

19. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I know the feeling, I used to think I was never gonna be able to enjoy my family again and gatherings becuse of the noise,i would get anxyety attacks,paranoia, and very depressed, but that little surviving instinct os what save us all, youe mind,body and soul get together and beat anything,just have faith and be patient, God has given us this gift to survive and be happy, I know! I lived and suffered it, but I will tell you all, no doctor or ENT is gonna make it better but yourself, in time you will find out im telling the truth, all of you that are reading my words, mark my words, YOU WILL SURVIVE AND HABITUATE, I promise you!

20. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Do not pison yourself with antidepressants or sleeping pills, use all that hate and love against it, your will can not be broken by anything, listen to it, force urself against it, it will help to habituate, if you keep masking it and fighting it, it will just get harder to habituate, accept it and beat it, itd worth it, I did it and you all need no doctor to tell ypj what your heart,body and soul already knows, you all just need a little push fron people like us in this blog to prevail, get it in your head, there is no treatment better than your survivor instinct within you!

• Like Like x 1
    21. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      You dont do anything, you listen to it til your brain gets tired of it, let your heart body and soul heal itself, accept it and adapt to it, thats what we all have done, this blog is a blessing for all of us that need help, I have already habituated, it took me a couple of months maybe three, your brain has a great power to adapt to anything,look at people with one leg, one eye, one arm, they all adapt, we just got this little annoying noise, that will be ok in time!QUOTE="Martin69, post: 58470, member: 3384"]I was never able to mask my T with white noise.
      It sounds like a dog whistle, ultra high-pitched and I hear it everywhere.
      Only sound that interferes with it are high-pitched cricket sounds.
      The past days, I got a little bit pi.... of masking. So I am now listening to my T the whole time trying to stand the noise and not freaking out.[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1
    22. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      There is no real treatment,no doctor can help, only your brain,your mind, your surviving instinct will take care of it, I had a so called treatment that didnt work at all and if something was affecting my heart beat faster and made me feel worse, get In a quiet area or room and force yourself to listen to it and try going to sleep with it, accept it, dont fight it or mask it, it will only get harder to habituate, it will get better within 3 months, it seems to have gone lower but its just your brain getting used to it, you will not need masking nor any treatments anymore, I know is scary at first,but you have to do it, you will get better!

• Like Like x 1
    23. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      my tinnitus is a high pitch around 4000. in the past, there was also a shshsh type sound, and another chirping sound, and a harsh screaming type sound which was lower than 4000. gradually, the music treatment has kicked in, and mainly there is still a high pitch at 4000, and the tinnitus is a lot easier to take. a lot of time i don't really notice it that much, and for sure my sleep is much much better.

the music therapy study, was for people with just one pitch. but i had multiple pitches, and music is working for me.

24. Benjamin Greenberg

Benjamin Greenberg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Ear Trauma
      I'm a little late in this thread, but I could really use some help -

I have tried and used every sound imaginable, and even though things have worked for up to several years, I am in a place now where new frequencies have developed in my ears that override all the sounds I have available - have even mixed in a wide band of frequencies and crickets, grasshoppers, frogs, etc. using garage band, and I still find that as I start to fall asleep my ears begin screaming over it all. It is torture.

Have had tinnitus for 16 years, severe tinnitus for 10 years.