What to Tell the Employer?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mettafort, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Mettafort
      Sunshine

Mettafort Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 8th, 2017 (a few days after)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vertigo->48 hours->Deaf in left Ear->Tinnitus
      Hi there-

Since my initial incident I have been off work and I am to return to work next week. Due to total hearing loss in left ear, I have a very loud T and H. Since T can have a major impact on peoples lives, I am wondering what/how much is to be divulged with the employer? I work in Chicago. I am unsure how it works here (originally from the UK). I fear if I say too much I will get blacklisted for career progression, but if I say too little, it is easier for them to discriminate me by saying they didnt know the extent of the issue show how could they be discriminating (if that makes sense).

I also get "frazzled" by the end of the day. I live out in the country outside of Chicago, and even now by the end of the day I am frazzled. I dont know the origination of the cause, but I find myself a little shaky by the end of the day - perhaps because my nervous system has been responding so much since I havent habituated yet. I was hoping to slowly get back into work, perhaps trying to work from home a bit more so I can slowly get back into the swing of things.

Anyway just looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance,

mf.

2. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      It you're new, I would only tell them if it impacts your work performance. Otherwise it's best to keep it to yourself.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mettafort
      Sunshine

Mettafort Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 8th, 2017 (a few days after)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vertigo->48 hours->Deaf in left Ear->Tinnitus
      Thanks racerfish. I am relatively new. My employer sent some FMLA documentation over I need my ENT to fill out, and it seems that requires quite a lot of description of the condition, which would thwart my ability to keep things under wraps? I see my ENT in an hour so will ask about it.

Thanks again,

mf.