What Visual Snow May Tell Us About Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Mettafort, May 2, 2017.

1. Mettafort
      Sunshine

Mettafort Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 8th, 2017 (a few days after)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vertigo->48 hours->Deaf in left Ear->Tinnitus
      • Like Like x 2
    2. Henkrik92
      Bored

Henkrik92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Always?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I can relate, I don't have a big amount of visual snow. Often more in the morning. Same as my tinnitus.

3. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe to much noise
      I would say when I wake up and open my eyes as the first thing my VS is also pretty bad but it goes down a bit 10 min later.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Another condition that might be related is the phantom pain felt by amputees. Perhaps treatments for phantom pain might be effective for T too...

• Genius Genius x 1
    5. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe to much noise
      Can I ask what you mean by this :)?

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/guide/phantom-limb-pain
      "Phantom limb pain refers to mild to extreme pain felt in the area where a limb has been amputated."

We hear the sounds that are not there. Those unfortunate amputees who experience phantom limb pain, feel the pain that is not there, because the limb is not there. In both cases, the sound and the pain are created by our brains.

Research on cures of phantom limb pain is ongoing. It might be a good idea to keep an eye on it (and on the existing treatments), as these treatments Might work to alleviate T as well as phantom limb pain.

• Like Like x 5
    7. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Mine too, pretty bad in the morning

8. Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prolonged use of in ear headphones during sleep
      I used to have visual snow after a very bad experience with marijuana. I could see it when I closed my eyes and what not. Couldn't sleep for days. It went away after a couple of weeks once I got my grip back with reality and had to get back to life. As did the derealisation and anxiety. Don't do pot kids, especially with T and anxiety.

I also feel like this is why my T has ramped up constantly over the past 3 weeks. Have nothing to force my distraction since it's my uni break at the moment.

9. layzell

layzell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      inner ear infection
      I agree that T of the sort that's generated in the brain is like phantom limb pain in one way, ie it's generated in the brain. At the current level of knowledge there's no easy way for anyone else to experience someone's pain. But I suppose that since nerve signals can be detected with modern equipment in a clinical or research environment it would be possible to see them on a screen.

The problem about T is that due to the long chain of information going from the outer ear all the way to the brain via various transducers no one seems to know whereabouts in the chain the T signals begin. It's gonna take a great deal of research to find out.

And if they ever do find out it could be at a different place for each person, necessitating another expensive set of measurements for each person ie doing the same work all over again, every time.

Then I think everyone is hoping for the magic bullet, a simple cure that will work for everyone.

I'm a sufferer myself and I'm not depressed so I hope for a cure just like everyone else. But you've got to be realistic.

10. Amiel

Amiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Has anyone's visual snow gone away after several years?