What's Your Recipe for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hartje5, Oct 24, 2016.

1. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      Here's how you cook tinnitus:

- work in a call centre and have a beep in your ears every night when you're in bed;
      - wait a couple of years;
      - get a heart condition, preferably a rhythm problem;
      - have mild tinnitus and forget to mention you have it to anyone;
      - have an MRI have tinnitus for four days, forget about it;
      - be an a waiting list for a experimental operation;
      - get the operation, make it go wrong;
      - have a big cocktail of anesthetics and other drugs for the heart;
      - have a conflict with your cardiologist;
      - have a conflict with your employer
      - try to please everybody;
      - make excuses for everybody;
      - don't stand up for yourself;
      - swallow al critical questions and let your doctor boss you around;
      - don't notice you're completely stressed out and have to step back but fight!

And then, one morning, you have cooked yourself horrible tinnitus.

What's your recipe?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. linda moore

linda moore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Sex drugs and rock and roll from aged 18 to about 40 more the rock and roll loud music than the latter in later years!
      Now t total from all ! Debilitating tinnitus for three years now aged 62 x

3. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      step 1 - start playing guitar at 12. buy a 100 watt 2x12 tube amp for your bedroom at 14. blast it 2 hours a day until your parents come home jamming with megadeth albums. jam in rehearsal rooms 2x a week for a few years. discover raves. become a gigging DJ at warehouse parties.

step 2 - ???????

step 3 - profit?

• Like Like x 2
    4. DefNFlaky
      Inspired

DefNFlaky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      1) Wear HA safely for 36 years.
      2) become a social pariah for it
      3) extensive movie watchingbgame playing since no one invites you anywhere
      4) one moment a malfunctioning headphone blasts a loud unheard pitchinto right ear.
      5) moderate T and distortion.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Buy a pair of headphones and connect them to a portable music player, and turn up the volume to full. You will soon experience tinnitus in all its glory. The only problem, the ringing might not stop!

6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      1. Play drums for years
      2. Get divorced
      3. Get Pneumonia
      4. Go clubbing occasionally, spend a little it to long one evening in a club.
      5. Get Tinnitus.. Yay..

7. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      - Have shitty ears from birth. Distortion, saturation, but no pain
      - Ride motocross and pilot small aircrafts when you're a teenager
      - Be a fan of Mitch Mitchell. Learn how to play drums when you're a bit older (3-4 lessons to understand it's going wrong, you're bad anyway. You stop but it's too late)
      - Sometimes forget about your mild T and H, make some regular mistakes (15 people parties in your flat, movies, living in a big city with loud trafic noise every day, etc)
      - Live 12 years like that, never test your hearing. Your T never changes, it's all right. Think, every day : "Fingers crossed, I'm almost normal. I just avoid very loud stuff"
      - A balloon pops next to your head in a closed car
      - Panic, see bad doctors, take bad drugs, have huge dental work you can't avoid the same year and finally get a monstrous T, monstrous H, and monstrous hearing loss
      - create an account on TinnitusTalk and read about future cures

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      -Move out at 17
      -Play music at a ridiculous level in your car for years
      -Watch your brother die and your mother become an alcoholic and your girlfriend of 4 years leave you
      -Give in to the insurmountable stress and start taking xanax and other drugs to cope
      -Embrace full blown psychotic break panic attacks that last weeks, never leaving the house out of terror
      -Years later, finally get the courage to leave the house to go to a concert and try to be normal
      -Discover the joys of tinnitus and H (why oh why did you try to live your life normally again you moron?)
      -Accept that your 20's have been the worst time of your life with not much light at the end of the tunnel
      -Embrace your new residency at tinnitus talk :D

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      At least you guys seem to have narrowed down some cause...

My recipe is:
      - Go to sleep one night.
      - Bad karma decides to punish me. I was mean to a cat once, I suppose that could be it (that's honestly my best guess).
      - Wake up with tinnitus.

10. PatrickG

PatrickG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch/kick to the right ear
      Get a couple of hard punches and kicks directly on one of the ears. Rinse and repeat. Boom you got permanent crazy T.

11. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Yup. That will do it. But what a ride it was. Why didn't mom and dad warn us about tinnitus if we carried on too much? :)

• Like Like x 1
    12. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Eat right, exercise, never swear, get enough sleep and die anyway...as the bumper sticker reads.

But more fun to follow. We get to do it again. More compelling proof of reincarnation.
      This just happened. No other explanation. Maybe no T next time around.
      http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1143020/pg1

• Like Like x 1
    13. Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      1. Have anxiety problem and OCD since childhood
      2. Play drum without protection
      3. Mess up ur grades at school
      4. Rely on drugs to feel numb and escape reality
      5. Work at a place where loud noise can occur
      : Boom, T and severe depression with obsessive thinking about human race and suicidal tendencies

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Climb ladder towards 109db/120db twin pezio burgler alarm external sounder, have sounder go off about 1 meter from face, continue to work on alarm too shut sounder off for several minutes with sounder blasting away and destroying your ears. One month later take 14 hour flight to Thailand and blast about on speed boats and jet skis for 2 weeks, take 14 hour flight home. Wrecked ears, reactive t, balance issues, hyperacusis and destroyed life.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      - Be a homely person who likes solitude and reading/doing other activities in silence.
      - Experience T for three months the first time at age 25 when someone else throws a firecracker in a tunnel you are walking in. That went away completely though.
      - Visit a single concert 6 years later when you decide to live a little (none visited in between) and get long term Tinnitus and balance issues.
      - Indulge in your accomplishments and sign on to TinnitusTalk.

That's all it took for me really... No "years of exposure" or anything. Glass ears I guess. Of course there might have been some loud daily noise exposures along the way during normal life, but we all get that.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      That's pretty good that you had t for 3 months and it went away the first time. Was it loud T? Any other symptoms with it like hearing loss etc??

Sucks you got it after a concert though. I only attended one concert in 2010. Hearing was a bit dull for a week after but no ringing and was perfect after that. Then several minutes of alarm exposure and obvious serious damage now :(

17. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hello @Jason C

It was mild T during the first time. It was some kind of hissing noise I heard throughout day and night. Sometime after 3 months it was completely gone. Not a trace of it, even when plugging ears.

I have a 20dB dip at 2kHz on the right ear, but it has been there for quite some time, so might be unrelated. Noise is also known to damage the 4kHz frequency first, while mine is fine in both ears.

Other than that dip it looks fine up to 8kHz. Higher frequencies have never been tested so far. Tinnitus was on the left ear the first time and currently it is as well. Current tinnitus gets worse when sitting down (making it hard to relax) and has as bonus feature equilibrium disturbances. It was a collector's edition. Seems I struck a good deal there.

I feel bad to hear about your alarm exposure. Sometimes one or two exposures appears enough to cause long term Tinnitus and/or hearing loss. For how long have you had it now? Did you notice any improvements or change whatsoever during that time? I recently read about someone on this forum who recovered from noise-induced T after 12-14 months, so nothing is impossible. Don't lose hope, it might still improve and I do hope it will for you.

18. Kane Moffat
      Badass

Kane Moffat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Go to university, try to make freinds by clubbing and partying. Develop a sleep disorder, start failing in class, take a drug to help you stay awake, have an adverse reaction. Get T. Become suicidal and depressed. Try and get your life back. Slowly get your life back, T gets worse. Get stem cells... Die.

19. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      -Be introverted and enjoy silence.
      -Be sensitive to loud noises, always need silence to be able to fall asleep.
      -Work many hazardous jobs but always be very careful with safety. Never have any injuries.
      -Take a lower paying job in a relatively safe work environment because you just moved, need a job, and a family member pressures you into taking it.
      -Have dumb coworker blast your ears and give you permanent T and H while they were supposedly 'training' you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Hyperacusis has improved over time but T has not improved at all. I have a small dip at 4K.
      I have distortion when listening too music which
      Make everything sound crap. Balance issues, reactive T, zapping noise in left ear and both ears have this kicked in feeling.
      Not a surprise really, these alarms are crazy loud with an alternating 109/120db siren.
      Even hearing them going off now sends me into panic and a chill runs threw me. It's the sound of death.

• Winner Winner x 1
    21. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Go to loud bar one night to please friend whose brother had just died. Get stuck chatting to some other person who splutters saliva as he speaks into your left earhole all night. Contract bad ear infection. Burst eardrum, repeat again a few months later. Contract pulsatile tinnitus. Clears up after 8 months, bliss, then contract ordinary tinnitus, then get PT back again periodically. And so it goes...

22. Emarie
      Batty

Emarie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      be born with hearing loss, finally get a cool job at an audiology office that lets you be way more knowledgeable in the doctor's side of the thing you've dealt with your whole life, try on and review various hearing aids bc you work at an audiology office, continue your quiet life of drawing and minding your own business, out of no where get very loud T for no apparent reason!

At least I had quick access to tinnitus masking HAs? Hasn't helped much yet but testing that out was quickly available to me at no cost so I can't complain too much

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I was doing the same thing, slept and woke up with crazy high pitch T. But wait. I wasn't mean to a cat at all. In fact I had 2 wonderful and well cared for Persians once and I still had the bad karma of T years later. So unfair. Lol.

24. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Had a VERY mild cold....not sure that was the cause....but tinnitus/ETD/deafness appeared and never left.

25. RandomAccess10
      Torn

RandomAccess10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Carbon Monoxide poisoning
      -have partner/gf involved in your music businesses leave after 4 years as your about to buy a house and have kids with her, have an alcoholic narcissistic mother as your only family 'support', stress, bullying and depressing environment at work, have someone car crash by hit and run, negative friends, have a million dream job offers all requiring huge life changes and living far away ALONE while trying to cope with separation...have agencies rush you on them
      -go to doctor for depression.
      -Give in and take sertraline after previously taking St Johns wort a week before thinking this is safe
      -Have a fit off that and develop strange catastrophic neurological problems
      -Go to the doctor for help with the now out of control severe depression
      -Voluntarily go to a psych ward thinking they'll help you
      -Be forced to take drugs that caused the fit in the first place and be threatened with ECT
      -Smoke a lot due to the stress and fear
      -Develop hearing loss, eyesight problems and weakness due to the constant fits from the drugs, collaspe several times and be ignored
      -get out of hospital and ask a doctor what to do to resolve these now serious health issues
      -Do one session of HBOT and develop T and H for life
      -try to adapt to losing 35 year career in high end audio electronics design, research and university lecturer in music without committing suicide (current)

26. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      1. Enjoy quiet places
      2. Go to a club a few times for an hour or two.
      3. Profit

My tinnitus came in a bundle with moderate H.

Wow. Much fun. Many noises. Wow. So hipster.

• Funny Funny x 2