When I Press TV Remote Control My Ear Beeps!

Discussion in 'Support' started by truesilence, Oct 11, 2015.

1. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      So now when I press my TV remote control my left ear beeps! What the hell is going on with my hearing? Why is it it getting worse? Does anyone else experience this kind of weird crap?

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Try changing the channel with your mind...

3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      No that's realy weird? Are you picking up some external sound. And its transmitting to your ear?

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If this is really true it means that you've developed some kind of superhuman EM hearing (impossible), or that your remote emits some kind of extremely high frequency sound (improbable, but certainly possible).

I would recommend getting a friend to placebo test this, have them hold the remote behind your ear, and then you have to tell them whether or not they are pushing the button.

If you're truly able to tell when the button is down, then you want to get a high quality audio spectrometer, and press the remote button when it's turned on. You'll probably record some kind of sound in the 14-20 kHZ band, and then that just means you're able to hear very high frequency, low-volume sounds.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      God, I really don't know. This happened shortly after I got T and then kinda stopped. Is this H or reactive T? Also, my brain repeats the same sound after I've stopped pressing the controls. But, I'm defiantly getting a beeping when use the remote. HELP!

6. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Wouldnt the remote likely be infrared ?

7. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Try not to get stressed. I'm sure there's some explanation for this.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Well, before I got T I never heard this! Or maybe I did and didn't realise. It is certainly freaking me out!!!

9. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      I also experience this! I thought it was normal with reactive T. Honestly, I try not to think of it any more. I figure if I tell myself it is "normal" then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      My beeping is a completely different sound to what I normally hear? Is yours?

11. Quite frankly I don't understand how this could happen. You would have to see infrared, or feel EM. Another possibility is that there's a visible LED on the remote that blinks too when you press a button. If you see that, you might hear the blinking. If you dont see it would get quiet. If that's case you might be experiencing sinestesia (sp?). I do with bright white light. I hear a rushing sound. There's a even more plausible explanation that you are pulling our legs.

• Like Like x 1
    12. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      I told myself all sorts of crazy things were going on early in my adapting to T. That my head was actually physically shaking on the pillow was one of the weirdest. (It wasn't actually. But no one could tell me that early on). My guess is that you are imagining this, and at some point it won't 'happen' anymore.

13. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Try pushing the "pause" button , if it stops , then we are closer to understanding this :)

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Lol I most certainly NOT imagining it!!! I know it sounds mad, but it's the truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      No, mine just increases in volume for a quick half second. What does your normal T sound like and what do you hear when you press the button on the remote?

16. PhilB

PhilB Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      My cat often pricks up its ears when I use the TV remote. Not being technical, I had assumed that the remote control technology made use of high-pitch sound frequencies which were imperceptible to the human ear but audible to cats. Having just googled remote control technology, I now realise that TV remotes use pulses of infrared light which are invisible to the human eye. Even so, I sometimes think that I hear a very high pitched noise when I press the TV remote and my cat obviously thinks so too.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      My regular is hissing/ tinkling but when I press the remote it's more of a high pitched eeeee sound .

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      That's interesting info, thank you! So does that mean I can hear very high frequencies????

19. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you still hear the remote-control-button-push when the tv is turned off?

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      No, I tried that.

21. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Isn't the sound in the tv, then? What happens if you manually (without the RC) change the channel on the tv?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I'll try doing that, but I'm absolutely certain it's the remote.

23. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      try doing my experiment with someone else pressing or not pressing the button, to see if you really and truly can hear it.

If so, then it's almost certain that the remote makes a high-pitched sound which you've just never noticed before. I am the same way; T has made me much more aware of various high-pitched electronic sounds.

24. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      I was able to use a charger for my phone, but I recently had to switch to a different one. Either it just started emitting a very high pitch that only I can hear, or my hearing has become more sensitive(the latter i think).

25. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      All your senses can become more or less acute based on psychological and environmental factors, and in a fairly shockingly short amount of time. When I was really in a distress state, I could barely tolerate the sound of overhead CCTVs in department stores; now I am largely unaware of them.

26. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This exact thing happened to me, just like you say with the remote control. Thing was my girlfriend didn't believe me so she tested me, pressing the buttons on the remote and I had to guess when it happened. I didn't get any right at all.

I think it's our mind playing tricks on us, we merely believe it's happening. It just shows how weird and subjective this condition is. It's almost like we make up the sound in our head because we know we pressed the button but there is certainly no sound being picked up.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      No, it's not my imagination. My auditory system is screwed up. I'm hearing all sort of things that I've never heard before.

28. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Have you tried letting someone else press whilst your back is turned?

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      The first time I heard it was when someone else was doing the pressing!

30. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      I'm sorry,,, but you have to be kidding right ? "beeping when the remote is pressed ?"

Now that's interesting...

I hope you figure it out

Good Luck

Louie
      Quietatnight