When One Sound Disappears, the Other Appears, and So On

Discussion in 'Support' started by Smartone202, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Very low since2004/Went haywire in 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise in 04/Wedding dance floor and flying(?) in 18
      Most of the time I deal with my head buzz "Brain Tinnitus", however in between bouts of that comes my Pulsating Tinnitus. This of course has been going on for well over a month now ever since the night after a 6 hour flight. The day it started however also happened to be one of the most stressful days of my life, with a lot of that stress focused on my initial spike I was dealing with since July.

Does anyone have any insight to what this could be? Why the second one sounds fades the other reappears? This morning I was dealing with some bad pulsatile tinnitus from the second I woke up and literally the second it went away in the early afternoon, the static/head buzz returned. I should also note that sleeping is often an on/off switch for these two sounds. I have sometimes woken up in the middle of the night and not heard either, not to mention there have been a good few times in the last month where the extra noise (head buzz or pulsatile tinnitus) were absent for a good 30-60 minutes after waking up.

Should I finally get an MRI? And as far as doctors go, would a Neurologist be a better option over an ENT?

Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. The Jordan
      Sad

The Jordan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/06/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Cinema)
      I also recently has this buzzing brain tinnitus (with pain in the head in the first week) and I also have changes of tones and switching between ears, for example 5 days ago I develop a new tone in my right ear for no apparent reason and since yesterday is practically gone but another one has replace it.

Mine also is often way better or even almost non-existing after a good night of rest for some minutes or hours.

I dont sure if this condition is normal or what could it mean (is a better sign than people whose tinnitus never have changes of tones/ears/loudness?)

Lastly, I would avoid MRI if possible since I have read here that it can cause tinnitus spikes.

3. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Curious as well. My Head T sometimes turns into a solid tone which is great and easier to ignore.
      I'm hoping my brain is trying to recalibrate. The fluctuations are absolutely killing me. It makes me feel there is much more involved. Be head/neck or what ever

4. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Mine does that too lately, was having a pretty good run the last months, today it‘s a bad day, my left ear flared up with an annoying sound like a fridge with vibrating glass inside. Not totally new but mostly when i noticed it i forgot about it immediately. My head buzz on the other hand has vanished completely since the last time i posted.

When i woke up today i got greeted by a nice fleeting tinnitus in the left ear that stayed there for a full 5-10 minutes. During that bothe my sounds vanished also. So yea, i had better days....

But like @PDodge i feel there must be something else why this is changing so much, neck, ETD or whatever else there is...

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First of all I don't know why this had to be moved into the dead section of these forums that is Pulsatile Tinnitus. Most of my post was about regular Tinnitus in general. Why Pulsatile Tinnitus even has its own separate section is up for debate.

Eh, I'll take a few minutes of fleeting Tinnitus any day over being woken up to piercing pulsatile T like I did this morning. Getting only 5.5 hours of sleep for me isn't fun. My Saturday has been ruined.

In all seriousness, now that it has been well over a month, I'm starting to get concerned this all might be permanent. I sit here typing this and I swear any regular person would rush me to the ER if they heard what was happening inside my head right now.

6. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      @Smartone202 sry i didn‘t mean to complain, i know how much you suffer with this shit:( i still hope that in a month when we talk again you‘ll tell me that you are better....

7. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea

Yep, I think Pulsate T means mostly hearing the swooshing sound of blood vessels in or near the ear. My saturday has also been ruined. I didn't fall asleep until 7am this morning. Is yours in-sync with your heart?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes absolutely 100% in sync with the heartbeat. But there is no swooshing here at all though. All sounds I hear are the high frequency ring type sounds. When my PT hits, its basically a ring/beeping in and out out my ear. In and out, in and out. Did I mention in and out?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wasn't upset with you at all man. Just venting and trying to get my point across.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Yea I get that too, although mine seems more random. It's fucking hard to get used too.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well yeah for me random is my new favorite word to associate my T with. For example I thought my PT was completely gone. Didn't deal with it for over a week. Then yesterday I started hearing a few quick bouts of it returning. Still didn't think much of it. Then this morning, bam. Back full force. It eventually went away around noon and re-entered Mr. Electrical Buzz.

Why were you unable to fall asleep until 7am?

12. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      The only good thing is that with all these fluctuations and shit at least there is the possibillity that it also goes back down.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I mean I guess. I want to think that. I want to believe that. I haven't done enough research or reading about fluctuating T on these forums to really know what the odds are. But when it's been 90% there for me these last 35 days it's hard to be too optimistic. Thank you for your words though.

14. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Well if you take it like a new T onset so just think like it takes a lot of time to sort itself out...you already did this once, so with time you will overcome also this:)

15. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Anxiety. Will this get worse? I hate watching people enjoy themselves while I have this fucking buzz. No escape. T has brought a whole parade of problems along with it that make me believe I wont make it to 30 years old

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      From what I've seen in your posts, your T started over two years ago now and it has fluctuated. Is it possible you are just going through a very bad phase right now? Certainly you must have had some good phases in the last 2+ years, right?

17. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Ya I have some weeks where it's actually gone. It kind of makes it more frustrating because I know I can have 0 T so why is it here at all?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gone as in COMPLETELY 100% gone? And your T is the head buzz type? You’ve done an MRI? Are you on any medications?

19. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I too have experienced this.

20. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Did you have brain tinnitus when you had Very Mild T?

21. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      No meds. I do like nicotine and yes the head buzz. Yes it has gone completely before

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Are you talking about my 14 years of near non existent T? No. The Brain T began 7-8 hours after a flight on September 8th 2018. This was my first flight after my July 15th 2018 spike. The spike that brought me back into the world of Tinnitus. I thought things were rough then, but they were only just beginning as you can see.

23. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Holy shit! I never had brain T either until January. I have ear T and brain T together.
      I feel like Brain T is bad and it cant fade, thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      In my experience brain T can fade. Mine is NOT here today

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      THANK YOU SO MUCH.

26. Leoglobe
      Tolerant

Leoglobe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @dpdx you need to be patient. Honestly it took me two years to be better. I had a trauma in 2012 after a concert I got slightly better in 2013 but the improvement was much more significant in 2014. In your case I think you will get better by mid 2019 I know it is crazy slow but the cochlea is the slowest part of the body to heal. That s what I experimented and quite a lot of people with big trauma are in the same case. I am now back to the forums because I want to follow more the research, I still have a noise sensitivity but no hyperacusy

• Like Like x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      At some point over the weekend my head buzz went away and was obviously replaced by my Pulsating Tinnitus which is what this thread is all about. As someone who has done a TONE of research on T in these last 2 months even I have to say I feel my situation is bizarre. However this particular time with the “switchover”, something interesting was happening, and the Pulsating Tinnitus was VERY low and not that bothersome. The Head buzz/Brain T is downright awful and interferes with my life significantly. I cannot even comfortably hear my television anymore when it is present. So these last few days with the LOW PT, it was almost as if I felt I was close to healed. On the road to complete recovery. It was a beautiful thing. Last night I was out with friends and not I didn’t even come CLOSE to thinking about my T once. When I got home I was in the bathroom and my T was the lowest it had been in months. In my mind I felt the head buzz might never return, but of course as many know in the world of T, its never say never.

I kid you not last night I woke up in the middle of the night at 3am. A bit unusual for me in the last couple of weeks. Any sign of my Pulsating Tinnitus was gone, and yup, you guessed it, my head buzz was back. Feeling broken again, feeling hopeless again, I drifted back off to sleep but not before being kept away for a solid hour with anxiety. I swear yesterday I felt like I not only was close to getting my life back but that I HAD my life back. Had serious visions of writing a success story one day soon. Now I’m back in head buzz hell.

@Deamon22 , looks like I was close but certainly no cigar.

• Hug Hug x 2
    28. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      @Smartone202 Well, i told you i want to hear good news from you in a month. This aren't maybe the perfect news BUT they certainly are good. Say what you will, since you are now starting to have more and more good days and see some improvement i hope so much this trend will continue for you. You'll see in a month from now you will have even more good news. :)

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Things have been good the last week or so. The sounds were a lot lower. Then today while on my lunch break I was in my car, turned it on, and for some reason the volume was on full blast. BOOM. May as well have been a volcano going off in my ears.

Long story short... Spike city ever since then.

I'd read people's weird stories about how their T got spiked with whatever noise it may have been. Well I experienced mine today. Why is it that whenever I've been taking 2 steps forward in all this I somehow always end up taking 2 steps back? Feeling sad tonight, with extreme head buzz returned.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I am sorry buddy, it's always sad to read when someone is improving and then this crap returns. However the progress you are making is fantastic, so i am sure you will improve much more over time. And i don't believe that a car radio did anything serious except maybe a temporary spike. However, have you considered wearing earplugs more often to prevent these things?:)