Who Still Goes to Pubs/Bars?

Discussion in 'Support' started by dv6880, Jul 30, 2016.

?

Now that you have tinnitus, do you still go to pubs/bars?

1. Yes, regularly

2. Yes, infrequently

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. dv6880

dv6880 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I'm a big bar guy and was wondering if some people here still go?

Obviously I wouldn't go to one that's really loud without earplugs. I did that a few weeks ago before I knew I definitely had tinnitus and obviously it's not s great idea.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I just went the other day, I wore ear plugs and had a couple drinks!

• Like Like x 2
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yes I still go to pubs and wine bars with friends and family and my hubs... Just protect your ears...

Lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    4. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Went to dinner with two other couples and sat at the bar and had three vodka and cranberry and had no spikes and woke up today feeling fine.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      I don't really like the noise, and I can't keep up with the conversations because of my hearing loss. It's not my favorite. If other people want me to go and are willing to help me, I do go. I can't deal with live music though....hurts too much.

6. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I used to go out to bars with my mates and drink 8 or 9 pints followed by whisky. Wouldn't dream of doing that now. 3 or 4 pints max and no spirits. This condition has isolated me a bit because I don't go out with some of my old friends anymore. They still want to continue as before and I would find it uncomfortable being out with them and not matching them pint for pint. We're not youngsters either. We are all in our fifties. With other friends I now go out for a meal and a few drinks before heading home. I've cut down on red wine too. No wonder I've lost 2 stone since March lol.

7. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      A lot of pubs in the UK don't have blaring music so I don't see why someone with tinnitus wouldn't go. So yes, I still do go :)

8. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I do. That bastard tinnitus won't take my social life and fun with friends.
      (Although I have not been anywhere out for last few weeks, just feels depressed, I would have no joy of it anyway. Hope it will be better some day again).

• Like Like x 1
    9. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      My bar is at home, it's quieter there. And I do enjoy a drink it brings my tinnitus down.

10. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I went a lot at onset, not fun at all, made my hyperacusis permanently worse.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I never stopped going out; I don't go to places where you actually have to scream to be heard, and I wear earplugs anywhere I have to speak loudly. If I drink, I tend to err on the side of putting plugs in because it's easy to get buzzed and stop caring as much.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not me! Way too loud even with earplugs. It would be okay with earmuffs but I'm not going to do that lol.

I do miss going out and shooting pool, haven't done that since getting tinnitus because they play loud music where I used to go. Tinnitus sucks; loud reactive tinnitus that you cannot mask and hyperacusis is life changing.

13. Honey_Bee
      Barefooter

Honey_Bee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection?
      Yup! I went to Nashville for my bachelorette party! So many bands and bars! My liver still hurts lol wore my ear plugs at all the bars, no issues. One of my favorite wine bars is right across from the railroad track, just plug my ears when it goes by and continue sipping

@linearb I do the same thing! At a bar with cocktails? Earplugs in!

14. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      My favorite bars around here have beer gardens, so no problems here. Of course with winter coming up that changes things, but I don't like going out for drinks during those months, anyway.

15. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Bars are usually okay for me unless there's live music. With live music even ear plugs are sometimes not enough.

16. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      Boy do I wish I could. Even if my ears became totally well, I would never go back to the bar knowing my susceptibility to future noise traumas.

Those were some fun times though when I lived in Philly (I always went to the gay bars so there were always drag shows and dance contests and all sorts of unique things). Back before my first noise trauma, actually even after that I still went. Then there just came a point when they raised the volume of the music way too much (and all the screaming drunk people). In addition, most of that music volume is BASS and that cuts through all hearing protection, so I would never feel safe again.
      Last I went was October 2015 and I could barely stand it with my earplugs fully in. That was no on the dance floor but the entrance to the bar below the dance floor. I left early, and have since never been in a bar.

If only there were noise regulations that would set the volume level of live or played to around 90-95 dB. Then the bar life would be excellent with proper hearing protection.

Plus what's the point I don't drink! I'd just go to meet some girls (and guys too).

• Like Like x 1