Who Still Goes to Pubs/Bars?

Discussion in 'Support' started by dv6880, Jul 30, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. dv6880

dv6880 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I'm a big bar guy and was wondering if some people here still go?

Obviously I wouldn't go to one that's really loud without earplugs. I did that a few weeks ago before I knew I definitely had tinnitus and obviously it's not s great idea.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I just went the other day, I wore ear plugs and had a couple drinks! Just be safe but I could still here people Just fine!!

• Like Like x 1
    3. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yes I still go pubs and wine bars with friends and family and my hubs.....just protect your ears..
      Lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    4. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Glynis i was wondering, since i have read in others post that you have a glass of wine once in a while...
      does it spike your t?
      and what kind of wine do you have?
      i wanna give it a try and get a little tipsy but i dont wanna deal with spikes haha
      so im avoiding alcohol and go for wine.
      what do you recommend?

5. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would try a medium or dry white wine.
      I have spoken to a few people who get spiked from red wine so I don't drink it.
      The last few days I have drank Gin and Tonic and been fine with that too .
      Try stay to a medium strength wine and keep off Thunderbird that's about 40% .....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Went to dinner with two other couples and sat at the bar and had three vodka and cranberry and had no spikes and woke up today feeling fine.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      I don't really like the noise, and I can't keep up with the conversations because of my hearing loss. It's not my favorite. If other people want me to go and are willing to help me, I do go. I can't deal with live music though....hurts too much.

8. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Avoid tonic water. Quinine is quite bad for your ears.

9. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Thanks for calling this out. I had no idea tonic water contained quinine (not that I drink tonic water regularly) but good to know.

10. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I used to go out to bars with my mates and drink 8 or 9 pints followed by whisky. Wouldn't dream of doing that now. 3 or 4 pints max and no spirits. This condition has isolated me a bit because I don't go out with some of my old friends anymore. They still want to continue as before and I would find it uncomfortable being out with them and not matching them pint for pint. We're not youngsters either. We are all in our fifties. With other friends I now go out for a meal and a few drinks before heading home. I've cut down on red wine too. No wonder I've lost 2 stone since March lol.

11. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Alot of pubs in the UK don't have blaring music so i don't see why someone with tinnitus wouldn't go. So yes, i still do go :)

12. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I do. That bastard Tinnitus won't take my social life and fun with friends.
      (Althoug I have not been anywhere out for last few weeks, just feels depressed, I would have no joy of it anyway. Hope it will be better some day again).

• Like Like x 1
    13. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      My bar Is at home it's quiter there. And I do enjoy a drink it brings my tinnitus down.

14. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I went a lot at onset, not fun at all, made my H permantly worse.

15. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I never stopped going out; I don't go to places where you actually have to scream to be heard, and I wear earplugs anywhere I have to speak loudly. If I drink, I tend to err on the side of putting plugs in because it's easy to get buzzed and stop caring as much.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not me! Way too loud even with earplugs. It would be okay with earmuffs but I'm not going to do that lol.

I do miss going out and shooting pool, haven't done that since getting T because they play loud music where I used to go. T sucks; loud reactive T that you cannot mask and hyperacusis is life changing.

17. Honey_Bee
      Barefooter

Honey_Bee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Yup! I went to Nashville for my bachelorette party! So many bands and bars! My liver still hurts lol wore my ear plugs at all the bars, no issues. One of my favorite wine bars is right across from the railroad track, just plug my ears when it goes by and continue sipping

@linearb i do the same thing! At a bar with cocktails? Earplugs in!

18. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Earplugs dont protect, plain and simple. If they did i would not be here in this forum with T and H. I wore earplugs before i got my T and still go it.

And without a reliable sound meter no not your mobile app a proper sound meter.....you dont know how loud it is.

For people who said they are fine after a pub just read my pevious post below.....tell me after a number of such outing what happaned to you T.....if you keep going one day T is going to get you.
      Humans are never built to take contant loud sounds...it never happens in nature.....please dont encouage others in this forum to 'live' their life by going to clubs......just like we dont say like by take drugs and live your life........it would be live today suffer tommorrow!!!

19. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Hopeful1 you lose hair cells by going to quiet pubs? Best ban them for everyone then!

20. Foncky
      Doubtful

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An explosion, music, and fate.
      What is a quiet pub ? What is "going", how long, how often ? What is loosing hair cells ?

Things are never black and white, that's the point I guess.

21. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      You're going to lose inner ear hair cells every day no matter what you do.

The kind of bars/pubs/etc that I go to, do not seem likely to me to be damaging my body in a way that's statistically significant compared to the general background of living in an urban area (which I'm moving out of...)

@Hopeful1 it's all well and good for you to come to different conclusions and do different things, but that doesn't mean your paranoia is any more enlightened than someone else's overconfidence.

22. Foncky
      Doubtful

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not every day I hope ! We only have 15 000 hair cells per ear at birth. If you lost only 41 cells per day, you'd be deaf in one year !

23. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      If we lost ten every day we would be deaf by our mid 40s.

24. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      If we lost ten every day we would be deaf by our mid 40s.

25. Foncky
      Doubtful

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No. 10 per day = 3650 per year. Deaf at 4.

26. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Woops, please excuse my maths ite been a long day!

27. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Its different to urban background as music will constantly bombard ears at same frequncies....

I am giving reasonable explanation...you are free to make whatever of it......thanks for the compliment anyway.

28. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Urban noise clusters in the low frequencies, because that's what industry and vehicles produce (and also travels much further than high frequency). Sleeping in a room next to a freeway tends to amp up my tinnitus; spending days in quiet country settings calms things down (and is where I'm headed permanently at the end of next month).

Loud high frequencies are more damaging overall because of how sound waves work, but they're also much easier to block effectively with earplugs.

29. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      hmm, thinking about this -- for one thing, ~50% or more of people with notable hearing loss, do not have any significant tinnitus -- and there are also plenty of stories I've read from people whose longstanding tinnitus wasn't progressive and didn't get worse as they lost additional hearing. For another, if you've lost ~3000 out of 12000, that's 25% of your hearing, so if this were the case you'd expect everyone with tinnitus to have notably damaged hearing. That doesn't seem to be true; in my case, I've got a mild high-frequency deficit on the left (but can still hear those frequencies clearly, just not as well as I do on the right side). In fact after the (high frequency, all the way up to 16-17khz) test, the clinician said my hearing was "pretty good for an 18 year old" (and I'm in my 30s).

Certainly, anyone with tinnitus probably wants to do whatever they can to protect their hearing, and being overly cautious is a lot less likely to cause problems than being too cavalier. But, it's all very complex and not that well understood, so when audiologists start to make claims about the number of hair cells or whatever, my eyes glaze over a bit.

That last paper you posted is excellent, seems to be a very up-to-date rundown of the present clinical understanding of tinnitus. It's noteworthy that most of those ideas and research efforts didn't exist 15 years ago.

30. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I think a lot of it is personal, it depends on how much damage has already occurred. I had no idea that loud noise existed (prior to T) unless you were at say a night club standing in front of a speaker all night. Not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined living inner city and going out to pubs could somehow be hazardous to your health, I'm still not convinced it is. However, having lost hearing due to drugs and barotrauma I am now well aware that my ears are susceptible to additional damage, and I know this through trial and error. My ears are definitely not like they were a couple of years ago which was basically bullet proof. They are now in a weakened state and will damage easily. I can not verify/prove any of this to myself, or to others for that matter, but I choose to go with what my ears feel like after noise exposure. I think if you are experiencing elevated ringing, fatigued sore ears, increased sensitivity, lowered hearing, it may be best to lay off whatever you are doing. If not, well, to be honest I would giver hell. Listening to the body and what it is telling you (in my opinion) is the most important thing. Your body can tell you many things if you listen, if you ignore it and run against it, you will probably be sorry. I don't go out a lot anymore becasue my body is flashing a neon sign with bright red letters 'stop it you idiot'. As I say, if my body had nothing to say then I would go about my business. Who wants to be a weirdo sitting at home, not I, way to many cool things going on in this world.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1