Why Did I Get Tinnitus and What Does the Future Hold?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BellV, Apr 18, 2016.

1. BellV

BellV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tomorrow will be two weeks that I have had Tinnitus. I am 56 yrs old, occasionally attend live music events, and have been exposed to loud things on occasion, the Tinnitus started in my left ear at 9pm sitting on my couch watching quiet television. A few days later I went to a doctor because I suspected a clogged eustacian tube, because that ear seems to clog up easier and I had swimmers ear about 18 months ago in it. My primary care physician thought that it looked a bit swollen and I was given a steroid shot, and an expensive prescription inhaler for allergies. 5 days later there was no improvement so I went to an ENT last week. The hearing test showed normal hearing in my right ear and only slight hearing loss in my left ear at one high frequency - my estimate is maybe at 8000-9000. They were unimpressed with the hearing loss. Because I mentioned a clogged feeling ear and because it is unilateral T they ordered an MRI with and without contrast which I will probably get this week to rule out "a benign tumor". (I freak out a bit with MRI's and will probably opt for a valium for this one.) The ENT also gave me a 5 day, 40 mg per day oral steroid. I took the last today and it hasn't seemed to do anything.
      When I was filling my prescription the owner of the pharmacy asked if I had any dizziness and I told him no - he then shared with me that he has had Menieres disease since 2001. So I am very concerned and worried as I know everyone was at this stage. Do I have a tumor? Am I developing Meneires? Will this T ever end? This morning I woke up and for about 15 minutes my ringing was down about 50%, but as the day progressed it got louder. It seems that it is loudest for me in the evenings. Tonight I am feeling a bit like it is spreading to my right ear too - but who knows?? Do my symptoms sound common for any of these diseases or does it sound like regular T? One thing is for sure - without experiencing this firsthand I don't think anyone could realize what it's like and I have a new respect and admiration for people that suffer from it.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      I have just read your story and glad to hear you have had a MRI done to rule out things and don't think you have Menieres as it comes with other symptoms that you would definatly know about.
      Two weeks is very early days for tinnitus and has a good chance in going the first 6 months.
      Sounds like mucous hanging around in your middle ear and steam inhalation will help that.
      Make sure you wear ear plugs if go to music events to protect your ears from any d amadge that can cause permanent problems.
      Sound therapy at night can help your tinnitus by playing natural sounds set below your tinnitus while asleep and this is where it works it's magic.
      Your brain will push hard to listen to your lower sound you have chosen and learn your brain to filter out the tinnitus sound and not focus on it.

Keep posting for support on the main forums.. lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BellV

BellV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had my MRI and it came back normal. I am beginning to cope with the continuing ringing in my left ear, but it seems that I have a light-headed feeling much of the day. Sorta like I am on a gently rocking boat. Not losing balance or anything, just a light-headed feeling. I have no hearing loss. Could this be a developing Meneires case or does light-headedness come from the Tinitus itself?

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Tinnitus and hearing loss can make you a little light headed and anxiety.

Menieres takes years to develop with lots of symptoms.

You could ask your doctor for Betahistine or Proclorperazine or Buccastem to help with the dizzy feeling that is probably due to the blocked feeling.
      Let ENT know about feeling light headed and they can monitor you if it goes or becomes a daily problem or comes and goes with loud tinnitus and blocked ear.....lots of love glynis