Why Do They Always Say That There's a Big Chance for Tinnitus to Go Away in the First Months?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario martz, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      When somebody posts here for the first time about having tinnitus for at least 2 months...

Why do other posters say... "Your tinnitus is very new, the chances for it to go away are big"

????

Is it true that tinnitus can go away? No matter what (in the first months)
      Is it a theory?
      Or pure sugar coating?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I think many people have their tinnitus go away. Many people have it get better. And many people have it longer term. And more people with tinnitus than not, are NOT on this forum. They are just out there in the big world, having their tinnitus go away, get better, or stay longer term. I don't think it's sugar coating. I also think that that "first few months" figure is not the end-all for a cut-off. There are people who get this and then it goes away after more than a few months of having it. But there is no crystal ball way to know who is who in many cases.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I've met two people now, who said after a few years, their T disappeared. Not habituation, just vanished. One had double hearing aids and played in a band for many years and the other had acoustic trama from a loud siren.

Is it common for T to simply vanish? I suspect not, but clearly it can for some even after years, not months.

• Like Like x 5
    4. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I wish there was a "Yippee!! Jumping-up-and-down" emoticon for this! Minus that, let's just rip loose with a few hopeful-happies here :) :rockingbanana::puppykisses::popcorndrink::whistle::joyful::clown:

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you happen to know how loud it was for them and if it was constant or fluctuating?
      After T is chronic, it seems our brains need a reboot for any hopes to get rid of it. Good luck safely rebooting your brain.

6. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Alue , this is why I believe that various longterm strategies MAY help with that re-boot! Such as committed tai chi practice, meditation, etc. All are things that have been shown to effect neuronal circuitry, and who knows but that they develop connections that can influence the suppression of tinnitus perception, etc.

Even without a personally guaranteed, proven outcome, I am going to work with these to hopefully effect a change. And regardless, they are good for your life!

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      Cause its true for most people

• Like Like x 2
    8. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      I know a couple of people who had tinnitus but do not have it now. One had ringing for 5 months. He said it kept him awake and drove him crazy, then it was suddenly gone. Another friend is deaf in one ear, as I am. She lost her hearing because of a hereditary condition and it happened a long time ago. I asked her if she has a problem with tinnitus and she said that she has had tinnitus twice in her lifetime but does not have it now.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I do not know why but I do not believe hissing or sizzling T is gone for people. Tonal is my vanish but the electrical sensation T will never be gone IMO. As I said above this is just my opinion without any scientific background.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      There is a case, in the success stories
      this guy tom1989, he had tinnitus, high pitched and then hissing for 2 months
      and then it went away.

11. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Did he get his T for 2 months in total or he just got hissing T for 2 months? And do you know what was his case?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      he was not sure, he had to listen to audio as part of his work,
      he wore earphones for a few hours, the audio had a lot of spikes (volume) it was a bad recording.
      the day after he got tinnitus, he had 6 weeks of constant ringing and hissing, and some H
      at 8 week , it began to shift... and then he no longer had it. it was about 2 months since onset.
      thats the only story in the success stories that i truly consider legit.

13. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Yes. I see many success stories of noise induced T. Too bad for me that I got my tinnitus from drugs..

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      ive seen one or two related to drug induced... ill look it out for you.
      too bad mine is not related to anything :/
      as far as i know,... maybe it was noise induced, but since it didnt happen right away after i took my earphones...
      it happend the morning after, is that considered noise induced?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      I had my first T for about 1 week. First day so loud I couldnt understand what people were saying. I think it took 7 -10 days to get completely rid of it.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I Have never understand the difference of Noise Induced/ Acustic Trauma...
      and i dont know wich one applies to my case...
      i just remember that the day before i listen to loud music on my earphones for an hour...
      then the next morning i had T...
      is it noise induced still?

17. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Acoustic trauma implies some sort of trauma that is unmistakable, a loud concert that leaves your ears muted and ringing, a blast, a loud gunshot in an enclosed place. If you had an acoustic trauma you would know it. Noise induced can include acoustic trauma, but can also be the gradual decline of hearing over years of loud noises, once it reaches a certain threshold you get tinnitus.
      As far as I know neither have a good prognosis.

18. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I had a friend who had it for six month from stress after her divorce. Has never come back after 26 years

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    19. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Stress induced tinnitus is probably the likeliest of all causes to resolve... it's all in the "mind"

20. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      I'm currently 8 days away from the 3 month mark and I have had two full days (one was yesterday and the other was in the end of May) with no T and a few more with T partially during the day. It all started after a bout of ETD (which I still currently have) and taking ibuprofen for many days because the ETD was giving me daily headaches. I keep my fingers crossed that it's the ETD (and not the ibuprofen) that is causing the T. So yeah I think it's possible that some people's T goes away in a few months. For others it doesn't. But rest assured I think it'll be solved (or at least managed) within the next decade. I'll give it a "good enough to be called a cure" date of 2030 at the very latest.

21. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you have had full days with no T, then it very well might fade for you. Seems like if it's caused by stress, ETD, ear infection, or the like, it has a much higher chance of going away with time.

I haven't had a single minute with no T in five and a half months, always the same frequency, always there. Seems there is little hope.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      No Flucuations? No Spike?

23. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You're probably in good shape for remission. Lucky!
      I'd be surprised if Ibuprofen had something to do with it though, unless you took large amounts for quite a long time.

24. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not really, not like what some talk about here on the boards. I have worse days and 'less bad but still there' days. Loud noises will cause it to spike, but I have not really had any spontaneously low or no T days. I wish I did. For some people it seems to be a function of how much attention they pay to it and it completely goes away on some days, not me.
      Mine was caused by a short acoustic trauma, and I think there was some permanent (albeit hidden) nerve damage.

I wish I knew what 'normal' tinnitus was like. Went from complete silence to this shit overnight.

• Hug Hug x 2
    25. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      I have a friend that said he had tinnitus for 2 months and it went away lol. So I agree, it is a huge possibility!
      Ricardo

26. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Alue I'm wondering if there are any changes you can make to mitigate your tinnitus, even somewhat? I understand that it was acoustic trauma, so no getting around that. But is it possible that you can adjust some known dietary features to help lessen the blow? Like, if you drink diet sodas, cut them to cut out aspartame, etc.? And all the other dietary suggestions found here on the forum? To MAYbe help lessen the impact? Worth a try? I feel for you.

27. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have tried eating lower sodium. I don't drink much soda to begin with, no caffeine. I've been juicing fruits and vegetables off and on. Granted I cheat on eating healthy, and haven't been eating very healthy for the past few weeks, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. The only thing that does is stress and the amount of sleep I get. Even that it's a minimal amount of difference.

28. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Wish something could help you! I think the sleep and stress thing seems to affect most everyone.

29. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      To return to the original question, it is the application of general medical experience. At the start, there is simply no way of determining the outcome, but for a proportion of people, the natural healing and recovery of the body from some kind of insult, be it infection, loud noise, physical trauma, drug reactions, or anything else that can induce tinnitus, will result in the tinnitus resolving. As time passes, there is an assumption that the body has concluded its repair and therefore the likelihood of full recovery becomes reduced.

That is not to say that it can't go after a long time period, but statistically, the chances of it going fully reduce with time. Total physical healing can take a very long time in itself - far longer than a lot of doctors would appreciate - but there are far more complex processes that occur than just physical healing. The brain itself also has to adapt to the changes that it experiences within the auditory cortex.

If you need proof of this, think about the healing of a broken arm. In many cases, casts can often come off in under 2 months following the initial injury. However, this is not to say that all is fine, it is just that functionally, it is considered sufficiently repaired that the doctor can consider you fit to return to using your arm. When viewed in more detail though, full repair of the bone and transformation from woven, to lamellar bone does take many more months and full transition can take years.

• Like Like x 2
    30. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Only know the guy that had acoustic trama, with the siren, had tonal T. He told me it took years. Don't know if he had hearing loss?
      That's the killer with me. Severe, unilateral, hearing loss.