Why Does My Tinnitus Spike So Much?

Discussion in 'Support' started by sandra72, Feb 5, 2018.

1. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Why does my tinnitus spike so much?
      One day it is very low and only hear it in silent and the next day it is way louder.
      I can hear it over everything. It drives me nuts.

I don't have any control over it.
      I know I must stay positive and not think negative but it's hard to deal with it.

A year ago it was all fine, I could deal with it and it did not spike so much.
      But now for 4 months it all changes after a holiday and plane flight.

I am more stressed and not relax when it spikes like this.

Yesterday my tinnitus was so low, I wish it could be like this all the time.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What is the root cause for your T? That may give you some clues.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      3.5 years of started after to be in loud places to many but it setteld down after a soms time. Last oktober been to Spain. Lost of loud sound but most of the time i used earprotection. But i whas scared and had a lot of stress because of the noise.

I stille have days when of is low. But have a lot of spikes and it is really loud. Only can mask it with shower or running faucet.

Can it be stress or more damage?

Before stress whas never a problem.

4. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      So basically you're saying the cause is noise exposure. Perhaps you could update your profile with that information.

Keep your ears safe from loud noises.
      Did you do a hearing test? If so are you comfortable sharing your audiogram? (I don't remember if I already asked you)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Yes i did a couple of months ago. But there is no different between a couple of years ago. 200.jpg 201.jpg

But can stress and anxious cause more T?
      It also became more somatic.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Sorry for the big pictures. Did not know how to make it smal

7. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      @sandra72 - you do have a bit of a notch at 4 kHz in the left ear - it's a common signature for music/sound induced losses... it's not very pronounced though.

It doesn't look like they did bone conduction tests? It's not showing on your audiogram.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      no they did not. But can i ask what that is?

The sound i hear is way higher than the 4khz loss i have.

But what i dont understand is that why i have some days when the T is very low and the high hissing/beeping is almost gone. I can mask it with tv on but when it spikes the sounds is way louder en can not mask it with tv, it seems that the T wants to go over the sound of the tv.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      https://hearillinois.com/hearing-health-blog/what-is-a-bone-conduction-test-85521

That happens often.
      You may also have losses in the very high frequencies (ie above 8 kHz, which wasn't tested).

I don't think anyone on earth can give you an answer to that. We don't understand T well enough to provide you with an educated answer, unfortunately.
      Be happy that you have some days of relief. For some of us, relief never occurs.
      Maybe you'll be able to figure out a pattern that correlates with your low T.

10. BobK544

BobK544 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect sulfur medication
      Sandra, you might want to take a look at your diet and if you're consuming a alot of salicylate and salty foods, that might be a cause of the spikes, but i'm still in the test analysis phase and trying 1 food change everyday over what seems to be ok food and that way i can better determine if a particular food is the culprit. For example, i thought i would try to start eating healty, so i made a spinach salad and inlcuded raisons and turns out they are both high salicylate foods and sure enough i had a huge spike that night. But i also know i haven't been getting more than 4 hours of sound sleep a night and that doesn't help either.