Why Does Pink Noise Hurt So Much Compared to Any Other Noises After Listening for a Duration?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dja, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fridge, computer fans and lots of annoying sounds and stress
      Any other sound can be anoying but pink noise actually hurts my ears. It just hurts and this is odd when it is the noise that people mostly recommend for hyperacusis sufferers.

Who can relate?

2. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I assume this would apply to pink and any other colour noise too. Maybe do a search for the research that suggests this.

When I tried listening to pink and white noise over a year ago, it got on my nerves and made my T react, so I stopped listening to it quite quickly.
      I just listen to music that I like, at a safe level, via speakers (not headphones) and it has helped me a lot. Over time I've been able to increase the volume bit by bit. At my worst, I couldn't really stand to listen to sound via my phone or computer speaker. Was horrible.

You could also try a sound app that plays natural soothing sounds, like water, insects and so on.

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I'm trying stuff that works better. I don't know why pink noise is pushed so much but perhaps it's because the majority finds relief in pink noise and we're part of a minority. It's so bad for my ears, it's unbelievable.

4. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's too bad any sort of sound therapy cure is based on constant non changing/static noises.

I am someone whose hyperacusis may have been caused by static noises and it is my kryptonite basically, is what I found out some time ago so pink or white noise the exactly what I should be avoiding. I need changing soothing sounds but I haven't figured out yet what's best.

I guess that is why you can't find anything anywhere, because of the uncertainty.

It's really odd, sometimes I get into video games with lots of sound explosions and you name it, and I feel absolutely great after the sessions, like as if I'm being cured. Any static or non changing sound is like kryptonite for me.

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      ACRN, for example, is a pattern of 4 different frequencies. No static noises.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Any examples? Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: This has kind of worked so far.

BRAIN HEALING SOUNDS : HEALED MILLIONS ALREADY...

But I always get disappointed after some time so I'm going to wait till I can say if it really works in long term.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can't edit anymore, but the above sound didn't work.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The ACRN example I provided is an example of such non-static sound therapies.
      One implementation of it can be found here: https://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the suggestion. Tried to tickle with it and it's not really doing the trick. I still appreciate it a lot.
      I think everyday sounds may be able to do t he trick.

There had been a time where I thought ASMR videos would be absolutely rediculous to try out, but I realized that it's a good way to find specific everyday sounds that could sooth you(me). I just found one that's giving me quite the relief. What do you think?
      It's from 8:26
      ASMR Rolling you straight to sleep

It's sorta like white noise but without the constance/static of it. It keeps changing etc. It's giving me quite the relief right now actually

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right now pink noise is the best noise to listen to and it doesn't hurt me anymore.

Some extra information: I used to work a very loud job until January 2019.

I just want to ask, is this part of the habituation? Am I finally getting there? A lot of sounds don't sound as sharp as they used to and I feel like this may be a progress that I longed for what feels like eternity. Could this mean that I am actually being cured in the long run? Maybe in a year everything could sound normal again...

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If pink noise used to hurt and it doesn't hurt anymore, maybe fewer things will hurt as time goes on. I would love that. I still have a lot of kryptonites.

• Like Like x 1