Why does this (spikes) happen?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Freddie, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Freddie
      Worried

Freddie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27/11/2013
      Hello all. I am now into my ninth month now with the T and have from about six weeks ago started on the TRT direction, I have a little in canal hearing aid that has been set to pick up the slight hearing loss I have in the high frequency area, whole idea here is of course eventual habituation as the idea works that the brain should be picking up noise to listen to in the area where it wasn't before.

What I cannot understand is that totally out of the blue and when you know that you are NOT thinking too much about the noise and carrying on as normal a life as possible why after 2 /3 quietish days does it suddenly become louder which in itself makes it harder to distract yourself, its really hard, I know the whole TRT concept can take time and not to expect anything to happen too soon but is there anyone else out there trying TRT at the moment who might be able to give some tips and help and might be struggling the odd days like me.
      What else can I do.

Thank you

2. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Yesterday I was feeling 100% relax...and I got 3 spikes of 30 seconds in a row in my left ear..and yes I was in panic for a moment. Last week my T was realy low...this week its a bit louder.... you just cannot put you finger on it. It can be the weather (airpressure) or it can be something else. Don't let it get to you ...turn on the radio , listen to a song. Go outside...mask it a little so you hear it less until you feel ok again. Believe me we all have this different moments when T is louder and sometimes lower.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Totally agree with RicoS.
      We should know the drill by now. There are going to be bad days and good days... life goes on.

4. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Ricos yes air pressure does make heck of a difference to some with T,can make or break my day. Even changes when I sit in my car,after it been locked up overnight.Weird ! Or what.Take notice of the weather conditions how it can fluctuate,see how in turn it will affect your T.Ive noticed this ever since my T began.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freddie
      Worried

Freddie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27/11/2013
      Thank you guys for the reply it's just so frustrating when you think you are doing well and feel you can eventually beat this then to be bowled over for no apparent reason ???

Thanks for the support

6. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I hear ya man. I can go from not a care in the world to full freak out mode in no time. T does that. When the brain locks into the noise, it's tough to refocus on other things.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freddie
      Worried

Freddie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27/11/2013
      Is anybody else here trying TRT and if you are is there anything else that you are doing to help yourself ?

8. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Freddie,my friend in Essex just on phone she said its thunder and lightning at Southend,maybe why your off today,she said it's heading my way.My ears are really high today,sinuses painful as well.
      Have sister in law in Penge,husband Dulwich chap and a Palace fan.No jokes .
      Hope better day tomorrow Freddie,we're survive today as we do.

9. washashore
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I haven't done TRT. Im trying the "do nothing" treatment plan right, meaning I'm trying to ignore it/accept it/move on with my life. At times it has worked pretty well. Other times, not so much. If I don't make progress in a few months, then I would consider something like TRT.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freddie
      Worried

Freddie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27/11/2013
      Hi Washashore to be honest I am not sure now whether there is a lot of difference with what you are doing and what I am doing apart from having something in the ear to help, the whole theory of TRT is based on not having any negative emotions about the T and trying to accept and live with it carrying on life as normal, again there are still good days and bad days. I must admit that I have my head in a slightly better place than I did when it first started as I think I have grown more to accept it and just tried to carry on and not let it get me down, even sites like this and similar with various success stories etc are helpful as it does make you realise how many people it effects, I just really hope it gets quieter as time goes on please god.

Take care

11. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Well yesterday I got my new hearing aids with the Zin features and I plan on spending a little time each day with this site to let anyone interested in knowing how these devices work.

They have five choices of sounds to be heard and my audiologist worked with me yesterday to select the two of the five sounds. The sounds are like chimes and are fairly pleasant. My doctor spent about an hour choosing the right sounds and at the right levels. They are not distracting to me at all and at the moment seem to be doing what there suppose to do and that is to distract the brain from the high pitch sounds of the tinnitus. I can still hear the tinnitus but at the same time the zen sounds are modifying the pitch. This is going to be a slow process and I know it and so with my doctors help and my patients I should be able to put the noise from the ringing on the back burner in two to six months. The devices cost over 4500 dollars kind of expensive but when my changed in the noise levels changes it will be money well worth spent. Jon

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Regarding airpressure.... it's cloudy , thunderstorm and raining here in the Netherlands also and my T is louder than usual. So perhaps it's in the weather

Besides that are you all masking your T when you are sitting in a room or you just go along with it. I always keep my mobilephone on with birdsounds. The thing with my T is that it's pretty loud when it is silent. but a little bit of sound masks it pretty good

13. washashore
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      It depends on how much it's bothering me. I often try not to mask it, because I don't want to become over-dependent on always masking it. I want to teach my brain to be able to ignore it, even in a quiet room. When it's really bothering me though, I put on a fan or play background music.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hey i know exactly what your talking about. My T seems to cyclical from quiet days to really loud. The quiet sounds is loud as well. But i just treated the t on loud days the same as i do on quieter ones. And now the loud days dont bother me much either. The best way i can describe it is that i try not to tune in to my t, because once i do i get latched on to it. In the beginning i would use more xanax on those days. So thats something you might look into. Other then that i would try to apply the same things you do to your lower days to the loud ones, and eventually that to will become less of a problem.

I dont know why it gets louder on those days but its no longer a big deal and youll get there as well.