Why Does Tinnitus Get Worse at the End of Day?

Discussion in 'Support' started by John CC, Aug 20, 2018.

1. John CC
      Pensive

John CC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Phone ring tone directly in my ear/hearing loss 15% l, 25% r
      Hello everyone. Another in a series of questions as I continue to learn. I find that at the end of the day, my tinnitus tends to fire up and get louder.

I do not believe it is me becoming more aware of it before I go to bed, as it will start to get loud 1 to 2 hours before that time. Is it just a pattern unique to me?

Do others notice this as well? Is it the ears are fatigued after being exposed to any, though not loud, sounds over the day? Any thoughts??

2. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      There could be a multitude of answers to that question.

My take is this:

What does our brain do when we sleep at night. It clears itself of all the waste and reenergizes/repairs cells. At the end of the day we are tired and probably have a lot of "waste" in our brains and our cells are also tired and worn out and thus tinnitus gets louder.

3. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I feel it could be one of two things. Either your T slowly gets spiked with sounds throughout the day or your T gets spiked because you are tired. I say that because lack of sleep can spike T greatly.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    4. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      @John CC

My tinnitus reacts the same as yours, by the end of each and every day it is noticeably louder. I agree with @another sean, being tired and lack of sleep can cause tinnitus to spike.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John CC
      Pensive

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the information and thoughts. I am still finding this new world a map undiscovered.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I understand, completely.

I see that you are a teacher, how will this affect your tinnitus? School starts on the 4th and I am sure the classrooms will be "busy."

• Like Like x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My T is also somewhat louder in the evening compared to how it is in the morning. But I know that for some people the pattern is reversed.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @John CC
      I understand you wanting answers for I was the same many years ago when I first got tinnitus and hyperacusis. One reason for tinnitus becoming louder at the end of the day is because surroundings are usually more quiet. Therefore, the brain tends to focus on the tinnitus more. This is most apparent to people such as yourself that are in the very early stages of tinnitus. Give it time for your brain to start to get used to the tinnitus and not to see it as a threat. This is beyond your control as the tinnitus is linked/generated in the part of the brain known as the limbic system, which controls our emotions and cannot be separated from it.

Michael

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John CC
      Pensive

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fortunately I have talked to my doctor, and as I teach in a very active inner city school in Toronto, we talked about it and I will be taking the option of taking some time off to let my T. heal during these intial stages. I am hoping that at the very least it will help my better acclimatize to my T. I could feel the stress building up in anticipation for school. The thought of getting up in the morning when my T. is generally loud, and having to go to school was not something I was looking forward to. The doctor asked me how am I doing and that was pretty much all he had to do to find out. My T fluctuates from 0 (rarely, and as far as I can tell) or 1 to 8, and my response was proportional to the 8. I am very fortuante in that I have a good doctor, and I have accumulated my sick bank and I can use it. Unfortunately, I really enjoy what I do and I will miss the start up, but I would rather protect my hearing as much as I can for down the road.
      Thanks for your thoughts and observations. They are appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
    10. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      This sounds like a good plan. You surely are fortunate to have a good doctor, this can be instrumental when dealing with tinnitus.

We are close neighbors in that I am in the Niagara Region. Welcome to the forum. I am closing in on six months since the onset of my tinnitus. I have chosen to not have any therapy, medication or any other treatments, actually. @Michael Leigh had suggested that this was a good route to take when one is new to tinnitus. I have come to a place of acceptance and continue to do well. Yoga and meditation have helped tremendously.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @emmalee

It is good that you are coping with tinnitus well and you have chosen not to use medication or therapy. Please forgive me for clarifying a few things, as I don't want anyone that I have been corresponding with to misunderstand me. I am a believer in medication being used to treat a person that has tinnitus. Whether they are new to the condition or have had it for a while. The reason being, tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. When it is mild or moderate, a lot of people are able to cope with it. However, when it is severe it can be very debilitating and affect a person's emotions considerably. If this is not kept in check a person can become very depressed. Under these circumstances antidepressants and benzodiazepines can be very helpful in enabling a person to cope better with it. Similarly, counselling with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist trained in the treatment and management of tinnitus can also be of immense help.

I do not recommend a person new to tinnitus to start treatments such as TRT or CBT until they have had tinnitus for at least 6 months. These are long term treatments and my reasons are explained in my post: When should TRT be started which is available on my "started threads".

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John CC
      Pensive

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Emmalee Thanks for the support. I am happy that you, after 6 months, have begun to acclimatize. I am curious though, aside form meditation and yoga, was there anything else that you changed (ear plugs, avoiding lond places at the start)? I am getting better than I was origianlly in accepting this new world, but I know it is a path I am just beginning on, I feel like Dorothy on the Yellow Brick Road, and I am not yet out of Muchkin Land. I have been meditating for years now and it has given me an important base to build upon. It is my intention to use the time off to help acclimatize and accept it's impact. I do feel very lucky in that my T. is fluctuating, so from what I have learned, this could lead to it healing and fading, which gives one that important intangible known as hope. I am focusing on protecting my ears and that is why I am taking the time off.

14. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Hi, Michael.

No need for forgiveness at all. I always appreciate your advice and yes, I understand and agree with you that there are times when medication and counseling are much needed in order to cope with severe cases of tinnitus.

I hope you are keeping well.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      You are most welcome, John.

I do my very best to avoid loud places, but this is not always easy so I carry earplugs with me at all times. I find restaurants to be far too loud so I have been preparing all meals at home. The benefit to this is that I know what goes into each meal and I try to focus on eating as healthy as possible. I have not been to a movie theatre since the tinnitus struck and I will most likely avoid them for good. I have never been one to use headphones, I don't even own a pair. I have good quality speakers and I listen to movies and music using them exclusively.

When I vacuum or use loud appliances I wear my Peltor muffs, they are great and I would recommend that you get a pair.

Other than these changes I try to live my life as normally as possible. I am fortunate to be able to fall asleep and stay asleep most nights, so there is no need for masking. When I am home during the day I listen to soft music continuously.

My motto since the very beginning is "one day at a time."

You are doing very well, John. It sounds like you have a grip on things and I feel that you will continue to make progress. Never lose hope, your tinnitus could fade away completely. Read as many of the success stories that you have time for, they will help you to maintain a positive outlook.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. CricketEars

CricketEars Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      In my opinion no one knows, so take everyone's theories (including mine) with a grain of salt.

I think it's a lot of things. Diet (caffeine, allergens, etc), stress, tension (neck, TMJ), exposure to sounds/frequencies during the day, the fact that it's now quiet at night and your brain turns up the volume due to lack of audio input, more noticeable without distractions.

I've had days where my T is loudest at the end of the day, and other days where it's quietest at that time. Other times I wake up with roaring T (I grind my teeth and wake up with a stiff neck), and other days where I wake up and it's not bad. There are some common denominators with Tinnitus, but also a ton of variables, so it's hard to pinpoint. Not to mention everyone's T seems to be unique

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am doing just fine @emmalee Always good corresponding with you.
      Take care
      Michael

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Your post makes so much sense, CricketEars. We are all certainly unique when it comes to our tinnitus.

One point that you bring up reminded me that I did give up coffee when I got tinnitus. It was something that I had wanted to do long for a long time. I tried on more than one occasion and failed, but the tinnitus strengthened my resolve and I gave it up for good.

I still enjoy a glass of fine red wine on occasion and I like a frosty mug of cold beer on a hot day. One needs to enjoy their lives, lol!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John CC
      Pensive

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I for one think I may fall more into the footsteps of coffeegirl, with a difference. I have not had a coffee in over a month, and I do admit I enjoyed them, but to a point. I generally only had a small Tim's in the morning (and often times never finished it), and a small, or maybe a med. in the evening on the way home as I would sit at a coffee shop and do some school work. I have talked to my audiologist and Doctor, they felt that was not enough to affect my T. I guess I will find out. Good to hear about the wine and beer.

You said you live in the Niagara Escarpment. My grandmother lived in Grimsby, by St. Catherines. You live in a beautiful piece of land.

20. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @John CC ,
      I will be back at work in two weeks at a Primary school after the big summer break.
      A couple of years ago I had an extra 6 weeks off so 12 weeks including the holidays due to my ears being so severe and had it in my head also and could not walk by myself as my balance was bad.
      I spent a week in hospital under a Neurologist and underwent a lot of tests,scans and lumbar puncture.
      I went back work within the 12 weeks but only did half an hour and came home as was to soon .
      I hope your break from work helps and go back on a phased return when you feel ready.
      love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @John CC

You might find the post below helpful.
      All the best
      Michael

Food, drink and tinnitus

Many years ago when I first got tinnitus, I wanted to learn as much as possible about it. I believed acquiring the right knowledge and being proactive was the best way forward in finding a cure. Like many people new to the condition I was desperate and going through a very difficult time. My appointment to be seen at ENT for the first time was six months away and it couldn’t come soon enough. Whenever I could manage it, I read books on tinnitus and it wasn’t long before I learnt certain foods and drinks could make it worse.

The advice given was to keep a food diary and over a period of time, slowly omit certain foods and drink from one’s diet to see if there was a reduction of the tinnitus, and if there wasn’t reintroduce them. One of the main concerns was to avoid excessive salt and where possible reduce its intake. Cut down on red meat and avoid dairy products. Limit the use of sugar and refrain from drinking anything containing caffeine. It would mean missing my regular cup of coffee first thing in the morning but it would be worth it since I was on a mission and determined to succeed.

Alcohol was best avoided. I wasn’t a regular drinker but enjoyed a glass of wine or brandy occasionally. Surprisingly, with the onset of my tinnitus I found a glass of wine during the evening helped to relax me. Everywhere that I went I had my notebook and pen writing down everything I eat or drank. At first there was a lot of enthusiasm but as the days and weeks passed this began to wane.

Constantly reading the ingredients of every food item bought at the weekly shop can get tedious after a while, especially when there was no noticeable reduction in my tinnitus. I began to feel miserable and at times felt life wasn’t worth living. Having to cope with raging tinnitus and hyperacusis on one hand and monitoring every morsel of food and drink that passed my lips on the other. It just wasn’t a pleasant experience.

I missed my regular cup of coffee because the caffeine free substitutes weren’t doing it for me. After enduring this for five weeks I decided enough was enough. I put my notebook and pen away and returned to my normal eating and drinking. I now looked forward to having a sirloin or ribeye steak without thinking is this going to increase my tinnitus, or eating a sugar coated jam doughnut or having yoghurt. One can easily be drawn into a world of paranoia over such issues if they aren’t careful. I became less stressed and I was no longer plagued with headaches, which can be a symptom of caffeine withdrawal.

The result was no difference in my tinnitus or hyperacusis. Although they were still intrusive I felt life was more tolerable and I wasn’t constantly monitoring them to see if there was any reduction or increase as a result of what I eat or drank.

There are many books on food, drink and tinnitus and the Internet is awash with this information. My advice to anyone that is new to this condition and wants to pursue this route then please do so with caution. In the early stages tinnitus can be very stressful and emotionally draining. Do you really want to put more pressure on yourself considering what I’ve mentioned above?

It is true that some people are allergic to certain foods and drink and the contents within them. Therefore, it’s important they be aware of what they consume. I had taken no such precautions before the onset of my tinnitus other than to eat and drink in moderation.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Yes, the Niagara region is beautiful, I am very lucky to live here. I know Grimsby and the surrounding areas very well.

I will still go into Tim's for a steeped tea now and then. The smell of the coffee and donuts can be so tempting.:rolleyes: I am sure that the occasional cup of coffee will do you no harm. I drank far more coffee than I should have.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @CricketEars - Nicely worded.

@Michael Leigh - I read an impressive study where immune system foods help and not to eat wheat bread. After my first onset of tinnitus, I cut back on salt and tests should that my salt levels were dangerously low. I then started to increase salt use and I felt better with no increase to T.

@John CC As we discussed by PM, take the time off from work.

@emmalee Good to see you posting again. Niagara is beautiful.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?