Why My Volume Changes So Much and Why It's So Predictable?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CDNThailand, Nov 30, 2016.

1. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      I'm about 6 weeks into this, not sure how I got it, probably MP3 for years.

This is my daily schedule:

7-10:30 AM relatively quiet, on lucky days can't hear it for a few seconds, especially after swimming.

10:30 - 5 pm, louder, but somehow bearable, depending on my mood, I can kind of get things done, run errands etc...but still not enough power to work.

5 pm to 6 pm run on beach, loud simultaneously

7-9 pm loudest, nearly screaming, but relaxed and tired after running, so bearable.

9:30-10:30 pm, quiet, easy to fall asleep, have to control myself not to sleep too early...afraid to wake up too early also...

2 am to all night, screaming loud with small breaks where I fall asleep, then loud again wakes me up...

Will this be like this for 30 years?....

Can I habituate "at night"?

2. AuntSally

AuntSally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I think things do get easier in time, which brings improved sleep. although I'm not there myself. I've had tinnitus since june and still struggling with sleep. I find it helps to stay up later so I don't wake so early. I manage this by keeping a bit more active in the evenings. Also try relaxing stuff like soaking in a warm bath with epsom salts followed by a hot milky drink to promote more quality sleep. It's worth a try.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      The bath sounds like a plan, never tried that.

However for me, falling asleep is SUPER easy.

Staying asleep is thee problem....

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @AuntSally ,
      I was put on sleeping tablets then changed to nortryptaline 50mg for sleep, once I do get a sleep im sleeping better...the med has hardly no side effects and might help you too....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    5. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      @CDNThailand

What you're experiencing is remarkably similar to where I was at that time. I had very severe tinnitus that fluctuated all day, worst in the middle of the night (slept 2-3 hours a night for 4 months). I'm at 8 months and I'm doing tremendously better and sleep through the night every day.

At this point my tinnitus has faded 85%, however I still get the occasional 12 hour spike (every 2 weeks or so). I have a pretty steady hiss that doesn't really bother me too much the rest of the time. TBH, I think I had that for years and never noticed until it got really bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      First...fantastic news you are now getting some relief from what sounds like hell through the early months.
      Lastly, you bring up a question that I ask myself and I wonder about others as well. How long have each of our tinnitus been 'brewing' before our brain recognized it as a constant?...perhaps incrementally growing in volume unrecognized...until it was. Possible for me as well. Just like our tinnitus now recognized goes up and down like a yo yo...mine does...at some point our tinnitus reached a threshold and since there has been any going back.
      Mine is a hiss as well.
      Cheers Tom.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I used to have a hiss combined with a 13khz ring and a zappy, constantly changing electrical sound that could be heard over my TV, AC unit, washer, dryer, and dishwasher - all running simultaneously in my small 3 room NYC apt. My spikes I described are still a lot like this, but they seem to be getting less frequent. I had hyperacusis in my left ear at this time as well.

Now, the vast majority of the time that hiss is only really loud if I have my noise cancelling headphones over my ears, as I commonly have done at work for many years to block out everyone's conversations. I don't really play music through them. Occasionally I'll listen to stand up comedy or something. The other time I get this is when I lay down at night. Like I said - it doesnt really bother me too too bad. I used to not hear it at all during the day and use it as a drone to fall asleep to at night before realizing what it was.

That said - I am still left with intermittent ear pain. It's not hyperacusis as much as an "ache".

I'm hopeful it continues to improve.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Hi Tom,

I certainly hope my journey will be similar to yours...seems we share the same parameters:

- Years of loud music on MP3, used to play in a band also.

- My tone is also 13 000 megahertz...

- I have hypercacusis

- I also heard that exact tinnitus tone for years before it got worse (I suspect a run on the beach where I put it too loud, the straw that broke the camels back...)

So man...seems like we have it very near the same!

Do you really look like Mister T? ;)

Can I drink on this one day?

Join me for a beer in Thailand for a drink some day?

Cheers!

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Have you tried sr melatonin?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Can't get it in Thailand...do you have a link for it on Amazon?

Any evidence it really works?

11. jumping jack
      Probing

jumping jack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental work
      Holy smokes! That's high. How can you bear it? Even my computer only goes up to 3000 MHz.

• Funny Funny x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Look on YouTube , goes to 20 000, most people hear to over 8000

13. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm white with red hair and I'm about 25 lbs overweight. So... not so much resemblance with Clubber Lang.

As to alcohol? pshhhhhhhhhh. I took like 2 weeks off when tinnitus started and then I got back to enjoying the hooch. The only dietary thing that bothered me was caffeine. Honestly, it didn't make T worse, it just increased my anxiety. Now that the anxiety response is mostly gone for me, I'm back to 3-5 shots of espresso a day.

Enjoy your booze.

14. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hz.
      You're off by 6 orders of magnitude.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      This is great news. Thailand is infested with bars, literally thousands in my town alone...whole streets full of bars side by side, once I'm less anxious I'll have a few like I used to!