Why Restaurants Became So Loud...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GregCA, Jul 28, 2018.

1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Ridiculous.

3. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      All restaurants around here are the "trendy" loud places. We avoid all of them. Everyone complains - meaning most people dining there without tinnitus - but the owners simply don't care.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      Great article. And, so true.

We have resorted to dining early, advising the managers/owners. I even show them the dB levels off my phone, unfortunately, most just don’t care. Some do, though.

I bring my Bose NC headphones and when the levels start reaching 80-85, I put them on with pink noise. It’s perfect to finish out the evening in relative peace. I can still hear with pink noise on.

I highly encourage those to help « us » go out to dinner, without high anxiety of the noise.

5. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Seems like small restaurants around here hire the worst musicians in the world to play very loudly on Friday and Saturday nights. And they seem to think that louder makes them sound better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I recently went to a korean restaurant where they played hip hop so loud that i couldn't hear my parents screaming over at me from the other end of the table. I was furious too because I thought i didnt have my ear plugs with me, I always carry a spare just in case...but i bought a new purse so it was bad circumstances. Luckily I managed to grab a pair of ear plugs from the Target across the street, there was no way in hell i was going to eat there without plugs...i really feel like loud music in public establishment should bbe banned or outlawed or something.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Great read.
      Haven't been dining out a lot since tinnitus so would be very happy to find some new places.
      It's an informative article but at the same time, very helpful.
      I don't really care about decibel apps but I'm definitely checking out Sound Print.

There was also this:

• Go early: This one isn’t very fun. Who wants to eat at 5 pm? But if noise really bothers you, restaurants tend to be less heavily trafficked — and therefore quieter — before 7 o’clock.
      • Request a quiet table: Not all tables are equal. If you’re seated in what you think is a particularly loud spot, ask to move. You can also request a quiet table in advance.
      • Ask for the music to be turned down: If you feel the music is blaring in your ears, there’s a good chance others do too. Ask for it to be turned down.
      • Complain: If restaurant managers field enough complaints about the noise, they may understand that they’re doing something wrong. Consider registering a complaint with management before you leave.
      • Find your noise nirvana: If you know of a restaurant with decibel levels that please your ears, keep going. If you’re having trouble finding your noise nirvana, try SoundPrint to search restaurant venues by sound level.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I just went to a restaurant with work colleagues and it was way too loud. When I first walked in, it was a bit noisy, but I thought it would be okay with earplugs. Then they turned up the music as it got more crowded. I asked for the music to be turned down, and I think they did turn it down but I couldn't tell because everyone was talking so loud and the acoustics were horrible. I don't know if they actually turned the music down or the croud just got that much louder than the music. I think acoustics and people talking louder to be heard are a big contributor to restaurant noise. It's called the Lombard effect, and it just compounds when everyone is talking over the crowd to the point where everyone is shouting.

Now I'm just hoping this spike it caused is temporary and goes away soon. :(

9. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      From Twitter - please respond.

0914D192-FEED-485E-A002-1850CEB3CC30.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      On the other hand, if restaurants keep being so loud it is because people still go there.

I never go to loud restaurants, and I come back to places that are quieter and can provide a quiet table for me.

11. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I saw the responses to this - the author came across as v arrogant and narrow-minded. There needs to be more awareness of not just the dangerous effects of loud noise exposure on our ears but also the myriad adverse health effects noise pollution can lead to e.g. stress, poor concentration, fatigue, and even cardiovascular issues.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Shaz1
      Gloomy

Shaz1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin / Noise Exposure
    13. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016