Will It Heal On Its Own?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ScottM23, Jan 7, 2016.

1. ScottM23
      Alone

ScottM23 Member

Hi I'm 17, after doing research, I think I have this T condition. It all started on January 1st 2016 late night. I am not sure what caused this however, its only in my left ear luckily. I thought the headphones might of caused it but I don't think it caused it because it could of affected both ears however its only in my left ear. The sound is a hissing noise. It has been a bit annoying at night whenever I go to sleep however I do end up going to sleep right away. Throughout school its always on my mind and has made me sad. I feel if this continues on through the end of the month, when my school exams begin, I will fail completely because of this annoying hissing in my left ear. Whenever I talk with friends and keeps myself occupied i forget about it, however whenever I'm studying, reading, or alone in my room it bothers me. I really hope it wont affect my entire life. Also by the way I've had problems in my left ear in the past from excessive wax however I did end up getting my ears cleaned, more from the left side but the hissing still continues. From the first time I got the hissing noise to right now the noise did reduce a little bit but its still there. Can anyone help me here? Thanks.

2. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      Hi Scott,

To me it sounds like you have a mild case of tinnitus. and I expect you to start noticing it less and less. My tinnitus was also mild, but I think it was more noticeable than yours. It was after about 3 weeks for me that I started noticing it less. Sounds like yours is going away by itself, so it's possible it will go away completely for you. Even if it doesn't, it will get to a point where it doesn't bother you any more and you only notice it rarely.

If it doesn't improve you can go to see a doctor, but it is rare that they can actually tell you why it happened.

I wouldn't worry about it, that actually makes it worse and the tinnitus more noticeable.

Try not to analyse the sound and volume of it, keep your mind distracted and stay positive, I'm sure you will recover well.

Regards,
      Daniel

3. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      My advice is lay off the headphones.

• Like Like x 1
    4. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Also might be best to not have ear irrigation/syringing again as that can cause tinnitus for some people. If you have earwax issues then sticking a couple of drops of olive oil in your ear and letting it soak in every week or three will keep the wax moving so it doesn't clog up.

Try not to stress about your current tinnitus. It might well go away soon or fade gradually over time. If it stays but is mild you will probably not be too bothered by it soon anyway. But maybe think of it like a warning to look after your ears for the long term. You are young and want to enjoy them a long time yet. That means treating them gently.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ScottM23
      Alone

ScottM23 Member

Hey thanks for the replies everyone, the hissing in my left ear is starting to decrease more. I guess it will go away on its own, it will just take time. I'll lay off the headphones as well for now.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      Glad its getting better, but don't just forget that this happened and go back to headphones so quickly.

Invest in an SPL meter to get a rough reading for how loud your music is. If you are listening to it too loud and for too long like most people nowdays, you will cause further damage and risk worse cases of tinnitus
      Take it seriously.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ScottM23
      Alone

ScottM23 Member

Thanks for the advice and I'll not go back to the headphones quickly. I'll wait it out at least a month on how my left ear is doing.

8. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      How is your tinnitus, any updates?

9. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I got Tinnitus from listening to ipod and concert only left ear. I dont have a hissing sound but a high pitched dentist drill.