Will Metoprolol Help Reduce Tinnitus or Make It Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AUdude, Dec 23, 2021.

1. AUdude

AUdude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine?
      Hi. New to the forum.

Shortly after getting the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, my very mild tinnitus got very intrusive. Coinciding with the onset of increased volume was hyperacusis and hypertension. I’m 37 years old and a endurance runner. Never ever came close to high blood pressure in my life but now however around 140/90 with higher spikes at times after vaccine.

Couple months later my doctor convinced me to try 5 mg Lisinopril. First day on it was best day I had in months. Barely noticed tinnitus all day. Was excited I found a possible fix. Day 3, I had a meeting in a loud room at work and immediately tinnitus turned into jet engine noises. Stayed that way until getting off Lisinopril on day 17 but the tinnitus never got back to pre-Lisinopril levels.

Worried more of the same with Metoprolol but think my elevated blood pressure is part of my issues right now considering how awesome the day 1 on Lisinopril was.

Anyone have any experience with Metoprolol helping or worsening existing tinnitus?

Appreciate the help.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have no experience with Metoprolol. If your doctor prescribed it for your blood pressure, it is important that BP is kept under control. Some medications can affect tinnitus. However, the most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise, including listening to audio through any type of headphones at too high a volume. If you were a regular user of headphones, headsets, AirPods then it's likely any one of these devices or exposure to other types of loud noise originally caused your tinnitus.

If you still use headphones or earbuds my advice is to stop using them even at low volume.

Michael

3. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Metoprolol along with other beta blockers are ototoxic. Do your research before you take any meds. I am sure there are good meds without ototoxic side effects.

4. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      The vaccine causes the high BP. I had low blood pressure for 38 years, then high right after Pfizer vaccine. Don’t take any drugs for it. It will go down hopefully.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AUdude

AUdude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine?
      Yeah the BP thing is not normal for me. It’s been 8 months and still elevated. It seems like I am now getting every symptom in the book that can cause tinnitus. My jaw is now misaligned and tender, progressively bad ETD, and when I stand up rapidly from bed or chair I get pulsating tinnitus for 5-10 seconds. Not to mention throbbing pain in both ears randomly. I think patience is probably the right advice but the anxiety is what if I miss my window to do something. This thing is not fun.