William Shatner Talks About His Tinnitus on Morning Joe

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Agatha, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      This type of interview totallly disgusts me.
      They are talking about life, death and torture, and they act like the whole situation is something to laugh and joke about.
      Total Arse’oles !!!

• Agree Agree x 6
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. Most people do learn to habituate to tinnitus or if one prefers learn to cope with it. Sometimes this may require professional help with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist whose trained in tinnitus treatment and management. William Shatner is right, habitation is the key to successfully living with tinnitus for the moment. This doesn't mean one shouldn't give money towards research to finding a cure.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
    4. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise

It actually makes me wonder if being
      a total C - - T is a prerequisite of celebrity?

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Unfortunately all we have right now and for the foreseeable future is habituation.

6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Yes, that actual Shatner quote bothered me quite a bit. And suggesting that just before dying you will have silence. And they laugh it off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. GSC
      Owned

GSC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Down with William Shatner and his bible speech of habituation. I WANT A CURE. BE MY SPOKEPERSON/MOUTH PIECE. FIX MY EARS, YOU FILTHY SPACE MONGREL.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      “Habituation?....HABITUATION DID YOU SAY??
      You’ll get yourself lynched by the MPP possey,
      under the direction of their leader @threefirefour

(A little secret here - I get myself around this little hurdle by talking about ‘acclimatisation;’ and would you believe - they haven’t sussed it !!)
      (...tee..hee.)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Absolutely Star.
      This vile thing took a wrecking ball to our lives, all of us, who were all incredibly talented, creative, amazing people, and took us all to the very edge of total despair and self-willed annihilation.

And how do I know that we were amazingly talented people?
      You just have to look at the courage, the tenacity, the sheer heroism we display on a daily basis, in dealing with this ‘piece of shit!’

I can’t even bring myself to type his name.
      He is beneath contempt to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      5B870FC4-F2EB-4B6E-84C9-5E848445EDD4.gif

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. DirM
      Pensive

DirM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 11, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/TMD
      Hmm. I saw a discussion about tinnitus and lots of talk about Shatner wanting to commit suicide and how he had to talk others down. And the host also has it. I am not sure how this does not raise awareness or communicate how bad it is.

I doubt anyone watching the show would send a check in if he asked, but they will remember the talk about Kirk/TJ Hooker wanting to kill himself. As for having it until he dies, the guy is in his 80s and is being realistic. He hopes to hear silence the moment before he dies, which is actually a sad tale.

I think "raising awareness" and "raising money for a cure" are two different objectives with two different tactics. This was the former.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. GlennS

GlennS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Yep. Sometimes I think people here get off on bashing how celebrities talk about their T. I thnk it says more about the poster than the celebrity.

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The sufferer has severe Tinnitus,
      The celebrity has ‘hobbycraft’ Tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Many people do not understand that the way forward with tinnitus is learning to habituate to it as I've mentioned above. This can take time and professional treatment may be necessary in some circumstances. Constantly complaining that there is no cure or berating those that find a way to cope with it, instils negative thinking and is a sure way of convincing yourself, that you will never make any improvement.

Tinnitus can have a profound effect on a person's mental and emotional wellbeing. For this reason it is important to keep a positive outlook on life even in the downtimes. I am not saying never to be negative but everything has to be kept in balance.

Michael

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    15. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Here are a couple of examples of people who are “instilling negative thinking, a sure way of convincing themselves that they will never make any improvement.”
      8B8B162D-4B64-43E3-A2BE-E2BA77C9DD04.jpeg 31F08697-5F8B-46D4-A036-A74E6F5A0E95.jpeg

My own personal intuition is to recognise that they are suffering truly excruciating emotional, psychological and physical pain, relentless noise and totally debilitating fear.
      Perhaps we should just tell them that it is important to ‘keep a positive outlook on life, even in the down times. and keep everything in balance.’

Yup!
      That should fix them eh?
      So what’s all the fuss about?

Dave x
      Jazzer

• Winner Winner x 1
    16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      I counsel people with tinnitus and have done so for a considerable length of time. I don't need to post pictures to convey what this condition is capable of doing to a person's state of mind. My own anguish with tinnitus and path to habituation lasted two years the first time and four years the second. Veterans and those seasoned to this condition know, it is 90% mental in the way one is able to cope with it. Having a negative mindset and constantly complaining as some people do for a cure, is a sure way of preventing them making any progress and habituating. Willpower, positivity and determination is the way forward.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      I love ya Jazz, but can we really put our selves in other peoples shoes?

• Agree Agree x 5
    18. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      July/August 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      As long as this is not being used to say tinnitus can't be debilitating, I'd be inclined to agree. However, as you probably know, I find it quite problematic to say "tinnitus is 90% mental". But this might simply be a personal choice of words. A positive outlook helps me to keep going but so far it, unfortunately, hasn't allowed me to return to a normal life. CBT also hasn't reduced my tinnitus in any way.
      I'm not sure whether you're saying Jazzer is being negative or not. I personally don't see him as a negative person, quite the opposite. Yes, he had to give up his career but he's very clearly still fighting to have some sort of life. He still goes outside, he still goes on vacation, he spends time with his family but he's also honest about how brutal tinnitus can be.

For severe sufferers, it sometimes can be quite hard to come forward and speak about their experiences because any sign of anger, sadness or frustration can be used against them to say "See, they're just negative." There is a difference between indulging in catastrophic thinking and simply being honest about one's reality with tinnitus. Someone even told Jazzer under his video that it was basically a waste of time as it was "only negative" and couldn't potentially help someone.

So if you see celebrities time and time again talk about how "annoying" tinnitus can be, it can remind you off all the times people didn't understand how tinnitus could be debilitating. And especially if these celebrities (seem to) live normal lives, which you might not be able to do due to tinnitus, that further isolates you and makes it more difficult for people to understand why you're struggling.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @Autumnly

I like you and know you have a difficult time with tinnitus so my words are not intended for you. I know what debilitating tinnitus is for I endured it for four long years. I believe my post: My experience with tinnitus in the link below conveys this. Especially when my Audiovestibular Consultant, told me in 2010 after I asked her to be candid about my condition and said: I was the second worst tinnitus patient she had met in all her years of practicing Audiovestibular medicine. She also said she'd never give up on treating me.

I wish you well.
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-experience-with-tinnitus.12076/

• Like Like x 1
    20. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise

I believe that those with severe debilitating Tinnitus would never joke about it.
      Hence my comment about celebrity and ‘hobbycraft.’
      It just ain’t funny is it - and William Shatner can go and ‘Shat himself!’

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Tinnitus can be a very debilitating condition and as I've mentioned above I endured four long years of it. I will go further and say: whilst this condition can be debilitating. The majority of people that "Post regularly" in tinnitus forums, other social media platforms or work full or part-time. At college, university etc - I believe they do not have debilitating tinnitus most of the time. This is not to say their tinnitus isn't problematic - on the contrary, I believe it can be. The point I'm making, if one is able to do any of the above that I have highlighted, then this is something positive and for them to believe in. With this mindset a person can gradually move forward and leave negative thinking behind them which can hinder progress and halt habituation.

Michael

22. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Autumnly

It was very nice of you to stand up for me and I really appreciate it.
      I watch your replies and your responses to posts, and I know that you are a genuine sufferer, and I also recognise that you asses things with a clear logical mind.
      When you think I am in the wrong you jolly well tell me so.
      No sycophancy - thank god.

Yes - people have levelled the ‘negativity’ thing at me endlessly, and they are quite simply wrong.
      As severe sufferers, as opposed to those with a mild syndrome, we have to tell the brutal ‘bloody’ truth.
      The severity issue will never get out there, will never even be recognised, much less addressed, if we do not speak up and say it like it is - and stop allowing people to get away with their puerile substitution of ‘pep talks’ instead of recognition.

This thing is ‘Hateful’ and “Bollox’ to comedians and celebrities who demean it into tv gags and sound bites for laughs.

If my honesty upsets people, then so it should, because they’ve got it all wrong.

Dave x
      Jazzer

PS - apologies to Brighton residents for the expletives.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Ed209

Ed209 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Anything can be joked about, but it depends on the context of the situation in my opinion. Some people cope with their disabilities and problems in life by using humour about it, and there’s nothing wrong with that if it helps them.

However, if the context is from a position of authority then it can easily be taken the wrong way, so it’s better to be serious. I wouldn’t joke about it if I was a Dr or an ambassador, for example, but other than that it’s at the discretion of the sufferer.

I’m all for free speech which is why I don’t have anyone on my ignore list. I will always be honest with people and say what I think and I believe people have the right to say what’s on their mind in return if they disagree with me. That’s what forums are all about. The moment we start censoring what we want people to think and say is when we lose that freedom. It’s fine to disagree about stuff, but I think the line gets drawn when people start unnecessarily dishing out abusive insults (to other members) and/or behave in a way that degrades the integrity of the forum.

None of us has complete ownership over this condition.

BTW, I don’t particularly like Bill Shatner and this is based on the way he is. I think he is primarily driven by money from what I’ve heard about him. If he really cared about tinnitus he should have made himself more readily available and utilised his ambassadorship a lot more. I think the only times he helped out was when money was involved or when there was an opportunity to further enhance his career. That’s my view on it at least.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Gman

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops
      Actually a treatment (coming soon, fingers crossed) and one day a cure is the way forward. Just accepting is not the way forward, it's maintaining how things have always been. Habituation is treading water. Maybe if people with HIV/AIDS had just shushed up and just used willpower and determination, they'd be better off, right? Oh no, raising awareness, gathering funds for research and making some noise about it has led to massive breakthroughs in that they have an effective treatment and heading towards a possible cure.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      I will not get into a debate with you about this because there is no point.

Michael

26. Gman

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops
      That's fine Michael. There's no debate.

• Like Like x 1
    27. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      I couldn't agree more, Ed. We are all here for the same purpose, to find support, comfort and understanding from one another. Disagreements will always occur, it is human nature. However, we should all take the time before posting a comment to at least read it back to ourselves. How would we feel if we were on the receiving end? I have read posts, not even meant for me, that have cut me to the core. Why must one feel compelled to speak to another in such a manner?

Integrity is the perfect word, so is respect.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I didn't say it was a good solution, I just said it was the only solution. I just don't see anything on the near horizon that is going to help us. I also wish he would do more and not everyone can habituate and for those of us that do it's a constant struggle to control it on a daily basis. I can imagine it's a lot easier to control it and habituate to when you are filthy rich and don't have most of life's worries though.

29. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      The ATA should be sent a message so they know to sever any remaining ties to him. It's simply unacceptable that they should ever again let W. Shatner be a mouthpiece for our shared condition.

30. GSC
      Owned

GSC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      From what I see, THE ATA, doesn't really do much of anything on social media or outreach either...

• Agree Agree x 1