William Shatner Talks About His Tinnitus on Morning Joe

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Agatha, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Agatha

Agatha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Another chance to promote tinnitus awareness ruined.

“Why should I give money to tinnitus research? William Shatner said you just gotta try harder to habituate.”

• Agree Agree x 7
    3. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yep, this is ridiculous. I wish someone would put me on tv to talk about getting used to tinnitus. At least he mentioned that suicide is a risk. Missed opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Shitner strikes again. He constantly shills habituation and encourages further funding for habituation research. He shills it on Twitter and asked for people to donate more to the ATA (a compromised organization). He also complimented the habituation edition of the ATA magazine. Not to mention how open he is in supporting Jastreboff.

Proving once again Picard was the better captain.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Funny Funny x 2
    5. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      “It goes from being 90 percent of your life to one percent”.

If my ringing went away today that still wouldn’t be true. I’d still spend 90 percent of my life scared it was going to come back.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    7. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I think this was fine. I think this brings awareness. The words "death" and "suicide" were used multiple times.

He is not a medical expert either nor a spokesman. He is just talking about his first hand experiences. I don't see the issue.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      He said he acted as the spokesman for the ATA. And instead of bending the knee to research he’s stuck in his extremely antiquated ways. It brings the wrong kind of awareness. Not once was tinnitus research seriously mentioned.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I don't see this as an issue. He talked about the seriousness of the condition with talking suicide.

10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Also spreading nonsense about how it becomes much less debilitating. It’s good he acknowledges that tinnitus is awful but hes also pretending that it will become less awful.

1) It’s true to some degree but for serious sufferers it’s simply not. It will always suck.

2) It’s no longer the time to focus on this. We moved on now we’re talking about Neuromod, Susan Shore, etc. I think the fact the ATA is even bothering with this, and by extension Shatner, shows how out of touch the tinnitus association bigwigs are with the actual community.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I don't agree at all but that's the beauty of discussion. :)

12. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      I've said it before and I'll say it again.

William Shatner is a great actor (of course that's completely subjective ;)). But he doesn't do anything ever unless it A) makes him look good or B) gets him more money.

• Agree Agree x 6
    13. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      William Shatner will be 88 years old on March 22.

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Years ago I remember a guy saying he approached Shatner at some type of gathering, I think for a movie, he said that he mentioned tinnitus to Shatner and Shatner sat him down to talk for about a half hour listening to the guy's suffering from tinnitus.

I don't remember much detail.

But, when I tried to contact him for help with an ATA grant program back in 2004, I never heard a word from him or his representatives.

Celebrities move on.

16. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Great message to send to all of us...

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      People with obvious mild or even moderate tinnitus should be ignored, especially celebrities.

18. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      How do you know the level of someone’s tinnitus, especially if you don't even know them personally?

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Depends since it’s subjective but yeah I get you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Just responding to your question, and not in regards to William Shatner; Those who has felt the true wrath of ear problems have a greater reverence for it, and that degree of reverence manifest through their opinions.

• Winner Winner x 1
    21. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The problem I have with this is that people still argue about it. There are numerous examples of famous people who have explicitly stated that their tinnitus is severe or catastrophic, but there are some on here who still choose to ignore this fact and have the opinion that their tinnitus must be “mild.”

This is just one thread of many; have a read through it:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ise-awareness”-of-tinnitus.37181/#post-484552

I think there is a certain arrogance to this way of thinking. It's almost as if the ones who state these opinions are the only ones who are allowed to suffer, like it's a competition or something. It really annoys me.

This is partly why the tinnitus community is so broken and apathetic towards the cause, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      This. Some people have the ability to handle almost anything, it’s crazy. Like that guy on here (@GeorgeLG) with stage 4 cancer and severe tinnitus.

• Like Like x 3
    23. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      What about those who appear to handle everything but then they suddenly commit suicide?

24. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Sounds too familiar.

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I'm serious. I am planning on collecting suicide reports of tinnitus sufferers.

There's several people here who preach habituation, mock people who are suffering with severe tinnitus and bash people who make a distinction between mild/moderate and severe tinnitus.

But, those people don't seem to have ANY empathy for those who think about suicide to end their tinnitus condition. So, that's my answer to their ridiculous questions.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      What does that achieve though, Pete? We are all acutely aware of all the suicides in this community, but making new sufferers aware of it doesn't help anybody.
      I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I promise, but there's a clear divide in the tinnitus community at large. When I first started posting that I could see a light at the end of the tunnel, I was ganged up upon and abused online for it. Many others have also been through this. They post a success story and then people take it upon themselves to take a huge shit all over it. Why this happens, I don't know, but it does. I used to regularly support people on here via email and PM, but in recent times I’ve had to cut back on getting actively involved in this way for my own health and sanity.

I believe we all want the same things; we all want to see successful treatments or a cure, but the vast majority of the community don’t want to do anything to help make that happen. It seems that people would rather use all their energy arguing about who suffers more on here instead. There have been many campaigns that have been ignored. Not too long ago there was a chance for this community to raise a substantial amount of money, and all people had to do was use a different web browser for 30 days. I know I’ve harked on about this before, but if I’m being honest, it really annoyed me. If just 5000 people had done it, we could have raised around $150,000. Yep, $150k for just using a different web browser for 30 days, but that’s too difficult of a task, unfortunately. Tinnitus Talk would have received a mean of $5 per person for all those that participated, and in return, they would have received BAT which was 15p at the time. BAT went over £1 in value and is currently at 90p, so that’s a minimum of a 6x increase. Tinnitus Talk could also receive tips on top of this if people used the browser whilst viewing this site. That would have raised even more money. I think the participation rate, in the end, was 5 people. How many listen to the Tinnitus Talk Podcast or view the site every month?

I think there should be a supportive atmosphere on all health-related forums first and foremost. We should all show empathy and compassion.

• Agree Agree x 3