Wisdom Teeth Extraction — Experiences?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinizzy, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello there,

Monday I have an appointment to get my wisdom teeth extracted (side of my afflicted ear) because first I hoped that would make my tinnitus disappear.

Now I am worried it might worsen the tinnitus. Would like to hear some experiences. XO

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Molto7

Molto7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      birth, became disturbing in 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My wisdom teeth are all coming through and they are going to need to be removed... soon. I am so terrified that the surgery is going to make my tinnitus worse. I haven't even been to the dentist yet because I am just not ready to do this. If it gets worse I don't know what I will do.

Has anyone else had their wisdom teeth removed? Did it cause your tinnitus to be worse? Are there certain medications I need to avoid? What about anesthesia? Can that cause a spike?

I am literally in tears about this I don't know what to do.

3. CHLOE_EE

CHLOE_EE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/16/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anemia, cervical spine issues..high frequency loss?
      I had my wisdom teeth removed 20 years ago, before tinnitus. I doubt it can make it worse.

I have had many dental procedures since I developed tinnitus September 2019; 2 root canals and a crown and my tinnitus goes silent for 24-36 hours after every dental procedure and Novocaine. I relish the silence, I wish I could bottle it... it has not caused a spike but the opposite...

Hopefully removing the winsome teeth cures your tinnitus. You never know...

4. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I got my tinnitus in 2001.
      Had my wisdom teeth out in 2005.

Strangely the days after the operation were the most quiet my tinnitus has ever been. Like 0.5/10 but it didn’t last and went back to normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. CHLOE_EE

CHLOE_EE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/16/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anemia, cervical spine issues..high frequency loss?
      @Karl28 I have the same experience after dental appointments, my T goes quiet, would also say 0 - 0.5/10.

Maybe it was the novocaine..who knows..mine also comes back as well..but it was nice while it lasted..

6. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      My boyfriend (though admittedly doesn’t have tinnitus) got his out yesterday. He said there was about 5 seconds of drilling in total which shouldn’t affect tinnitus badly- generally the rule with drills is to try and do 5 seconds drilling, 10 seconds off.

7. Jr_time

Jr_time Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had both top wisdom teeth removed yesterday. Was worrying about my tinnitus getting louder, thank god it didn’t! I have another appointment to get one of the bottom wisdom teeth extracted that’s coming out of the gums, but they will need to drill. Hopefully it goes well.