Wisdom Tooth Extraction: Will It Make My Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by truesilence, Mar 14, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Next week I have to get one of my wisdom teeth taken out. Got to be done as its moving. I'm very apprehensive as I've heard that many people have gotten T after an extraction. I really don't want things getting any worse!

2. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      Use the search. There were several threads on this topic.

Dental surgeon + general anesthesia if you want to be on the safe side.

Depends, if it is an "easy" pull or the tooth is buried.

If it is a complex pull and hard to reach I wouldn't go for a normal dentist + local A.
      Speaking from experience, you want to avoid stress, pain and strain on your jaw.

Talk to your doctor and ask if you need to be refered to a dental surgeon because of one tooth.

3. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      It's not buried. Maybe I could wiggle it about lol! Or should I wait till it really loose? I'm concerned it might get infected.

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      It didn't mine.
      BUT I had a 'dog eared' root stuck in my jawbone and when he got the drill out - WOW.
      I quickly plugged my ear and my arm seemed to be in the way of the dentist's leg. He said, Oh bad ears, it's OK, it'll only take a minute.
      WRONG.

5. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      My T was somewhat increased from baseline but I had two tooth extractions (upper wisdom and molar) in the same day. What I caution you with is taking strong pain killers. I started taking 800mg ibuprofen and around the 5th day I noticed an increasingly high pitched tone in my "better" ear. Immediately stopped taking pain killers and around 2 or 3 days later the new tone had subsided to a point it was unnoticeable. If you take pain killers just take low doses at a time. Try to minimize it. Some people's T will react to them, some won't, mine did. Goodluck!

6. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Thanks Enrique. I will bear that in mind.

7. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
    8. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Rina, it was fine! I absolutely hate Dentists, but the extraction was relatively quick and not as painful as expected. I was more worried about getting a dry socket which is seriously painful. My T did get a bit louder for a few days but no big shakes. However, another wisdom is playing up now.........

9. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      @truesilence .. That's good news!!! I'm getting all my 4 teeth pull next month .. Not looking forward to it but they do need to come out .. Thanks for replying!!

10. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      You're welcome, Rina.