Wisdom Tooth Extraction: Will It Make My Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by truesilence, Mar 14, 2016.

1. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Next week I have to get one of my wisdom teeth taken out. Got to be done as its moving. I'm very apprehensive as I've heard that many people have gotten T after an extraction. I really don't want things getting any worse!

2. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      Use the search. There were several threads on this topic.

Dental surgeon + general anesthesia if you want to be on the safe side.

Depends, if it is an "easy" pull or the tooth is buried.

If it is a complex pull and hard to reach I wouldn't go for a normal dentist + local A.
      Speaking from experience, you want to avoid stress, pain and strain on your jaw.

Talk to your doctor and ask if you need to be refered to a dental surgeon because of one tooth.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      It's not buried. Maybe I could wiggle it about lol! Or should I wait till it really loose? I'm concerned it might get infected.

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      It didn't mine.
      BUT I had a 'dog eared' root stuck in my jawbone and when he got the drill out - WOW.
      I quickly plugged my ear and my arm seemed to be in the way of the dentist's leg. He said, Oh bad ears, it's OK, it'll only take a minute.
      WRONG.

5. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      My T was somewhat increased from baseline but I had two tooth extractions (upper wisdom and molar) in the same day. What I caution you with is taking strong pain killers. I started taking 800mg ibuprofen and around the 5th day I noticed an increasingly high pitched tone in my "better" ear. Immediately stopped taking pain killers and around 2 or 3 days later the new tone had subsided to a point it was unnoticeable. If you take pain killers just take low doses at a time. Try to minimize it. Some people's T will react to them, some won't, mine did. Goodluck!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Thanks Enrique. I will bear that in mind.

7. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Rina, it was fine! I absolutely hate Dentists, but the extraction was relatively quick and not as painful as expected. I was more worried about getting a dry socket which is seriously painful. My T did get a bit louder for a few days but no big shakes. However, another wisdom is playing up now.........

9. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      @truesilence .. That's good news!!! I'm getting all my 4 teeth pull next month .. Not looking forward to it but they do need to come out .. Thanks for replying!!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      You're welcome, Rina.

11. Hockeybik

Hockeybik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all, I've had a low level tinnitus in both ears for many years. Slightly annoying but I'm used to it and deal with it. I had a tooth pulled about a month ago. A routine easy extraction of the last molar on the bottom right side with local anesthesia. About as soon as the local wore off, bam... my right ear was screaming with a high pitched whine. It's been pretty steady since. ENT guy and an internist say it's not related to the tooth but I'm not buying it. I took a course of steroid and some supplements recommended by the docs but so far about the same. Not sure whether it's gotten worse or just more annoying. Maybe over time it will improve but for now it's not so good.