Wisdom Tooth Removal Advice

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tommi_boi, May 5, 2016.

1. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hey guys,

I am in need of dental advice - I have to get a wisdom tooth pulled out... Not only is it my first tooth to be pulled out (yikes!) , I am am quite nervous about Anything aggravating my tinnitus (noise induced).

I've recently been exposed to a little hyperacusis thanks to an ambulance siren.. While it's getting better I don't like the sound of dental drills: I know that in some cases a drill may be needed to cut out any difficult teeth that can't be pulled so my questions are :

1) Could the drill further damage hearing ? Do people wear earplugs for wisdom tooth extraction?
      2) Does any of the drugs they give you make it worse? I am aware that Ibruprofen can temporarily aggravate T when you leave the clinic , but I'm sure it's okay in small doses.

I'm pretty sure this is all in my head, but I would rather be safer than sorry, so any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You should be ok.
      The injection usually makes tinnitus go quieter till the wears off .
      If you get a spike it will soon settle down again.
      Good luck ...lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      How did it go? I have to have one done in about a week and I am so scared.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      I wear plugs when they run the drill or grinder. Helps a bit but the sound travels through bone though.
      I wouldn't worry an iota about a tooth extraction. I've got pretty bad, reactive T and it hasn't been a problem of any significance with every other month dental stuff I've been doing the past two years..
      Advil can give ya a temporary bump in T but it's not a big deal either.

• Like Like x 1
    5. John G

John G Member

I have always wondered if getting all my wisdom teeth pulled out all at once...caused my T haha. Probably not but who knows

• Like Like x 1
    6. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013

I would not worry. I have noise-induced T and have had a filling since - it was very small, but did require a drill and local anesthetic, but my T was not changed at all. The drill is a stressful sound, but I really, really doubt it's going to damage you in the amount of time they'll need it to do the procedure. I also took advil afterward - no trouble. I also wore some noise-cancelling headphones and listened to dumb music (weird al's ebay song is my go-to ha).

When I had my wisdom teeth out it was a bit of an ordeal and pre-T, but I was younger and went under general anesthetic. I've gone under (post-t) for a different reason - also no change in T. So if that's on any comfort, then there's my experience.

Just try to relax and know that you can tell your dentist that you get nervous and ask for "laughing gas" etc. if you want it - even if they don't bring it up. I'm not that nervous for this sort of thing, but my dentist told me she once had a woman who just panicked at the dentist and went under anesthesia for a filling - it happens, and evidently it's not that unusual.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Thanks to everyone that replied , really helps and calms you down.

My appointment is for next Wednesday, I'll have a full report for you then :)

Brilliant! I laughed out loud reading that

• Like Like x 1
    8. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Just had a wisdom tooth pulled in the hopes that it would take away the tinnitus... I also had a cavity filled in one of the upper teeth but the dentist didn't adjust my bite afterward... I have been clenching my teeth at night lately maybe due to stress. Hope it won't be louder in the morning.

Does anyone know if tinnitus can reduce a few days later from a wisdom tooth removal or is it one of those things that would happen right away?

9. Farkon
      Frustrated

Farkon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ??/19xx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics/possibly Jaw.
      The combination of your clenching AND wisdom teeth could be causing your tinnitus since your wisdom teeth may be putting pressure on your Tempomandibular joint (TMJ) when you clench unconsciously which can cause/increase tinnitus.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      If I had all the wisdom teeth removed, could it go away? Or would the teeth next to the wisdom teeth affect it? Also, what what doctor should I go to for TMJ?

11. Farkon
      Frustrated

Farkon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ??/19xx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics/possibly Jaw.
      I don't want to give you false hope, but only if your wisdom teeth are impacted in a way that's been pressuring your TMJ or ear canal would you see any change to your tinnitus.

My TMJ got better after I strengthened my neck and jaw, I had my wisom teeth examined and they aren't impacting enough to warrant release, but I'm relapsing right now since there's something wrong with my right ear and my tinnitus is super high pitched again.

• Helpful Helpful x 1