Wisdom Tooth Removal in 2 Days — Connection to My New Morse Code Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kwoosh, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Kwoosh

Kwoosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Live musician (undiagnosed though)
      Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I know that there are a bunch of threads on this. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on my situation. I'm 37 years old and played live music for years (not too much recently). At some point 10-15 years ago that classic 'night after a rock concert high pitched ringing' just never went away. I was never diagnosed but that's what I assume is the cause. It's pretty much identical in both ears and I've habituated to it so it doesn't bother me really. However, a recent change in circumstances has lead me to feeling very anxious about things. I have 2 old upper wisdom teeth that came through in my teens pointing outwards towards my cheeks. They were always difficult to clean and over the last 3-4 months one of them started breaking off. I didn't notice at first which is why I now have a fairly large hole in it by the time I'm having it removed.

Anyway, about 10 days ago, for the first time ever I started getting a low pitched morse code-type tinnitus in the ear on the opposite side to my tooth and was wondering if there is any possible link as the timing seems pretty suspect? Luckily, it subsided after about 5 days but it was nasty enough for me to want to cover absolutely every base possible before I go for this tooth to be removed.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kwoosh

Kwoosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry to bump this but will be seeing the dentist tomorrow and obviously pretty concerned about it. I guess I have two main things I'd like to ask you guys.

Are there any drugs I need to avoid that they may give me afterwards? I am in the UK.

Are there any key things I MUST say before the dentist starts work?

Thanks for any thoughts

3. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I am no expert but I would bring high rated foam earplugs plus the 3M Peltor X5A ear muffs. The drill could be a problem. I don't thing any drugs they give are an issue.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kwoosh

Kwoosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok, I do have some ear plugs. Thanks for your thoughts!

5. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      DO NOT WEAR EAR PLUGS. If you wear ear plugs during a dental drilling it will cause the occlusion effect and make the sound a lot louder.

The only suggestion we have here regarding this is to keep your neck straight and have him drill 5 seconds on and 10 seconds off.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kwoosh

Kwoosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Okay, I've seen a few people saying different things on the ear plugs. I think i'll give them a miss. Have also seen the comments about short drilling time, assuming he will need to drill. I don't actually know yet for certain.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kwoosh

Kwoosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just wanted to provide an update for future people worrying about dental appointments. I had my upper wisdom tooth removed about 12 hours ago and have had no spikes or changes in my tinnitus so far (fingers crossed). Probably important to note that no drill was actually needed though.

• Like Like x 1
    8. CMIH

CMIH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm glad your dental procedure did not affect your ears. I wasn't so lucky though. I had extreme pain in my ears during a dental procedure (prep for a crown) which resulted in significant hearing loss and extreme tinnitus which is not going away. (The hearing loss and tinnitus are both caused by the same thing: damage to the hair cells in my cochlea.) I'm not trying hijack your post to tell my story. I just want to make the point that it is possible to have hearing loss from a dental procedure if it causes loud noise in your ears. It's probably an extremely rare occurrence, but I know for a fact that it really can happen because it happened to me. I have an uncle who's a retired dentist and he told me he's never heard of such a thing happening. It's so bizarrely unusual that I don't think the ENT doctors I've seen even believe me.

If you ever experience pain in your ears during a dental procedure, stop the dentist immediately and get out of there. That's what I wish I had done.

• Hug Hug x 1