Woke Up to a New Morse Code Tinnitus Sound — Can It Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ToriaM34, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ToriaM34

ToriaM34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - maybe frequent ear infections
      I woke up to a new morse code sound in my right ear on Saturday and it hasn’t gotten any better unfortunately. I was just wondering if anyone else has a morse code sound and could recommend a good masking video on YouTube because the most popular ones seem to be aimed towards the classic high pitched ringing noise and I can still hear the morse code noise over it. When I use a frequency generator it seems like I can’t hear the tinnitus over 800-900 Hz even at a low volume but all other frequencies at the same volume I can still hear the tinnitus.

Also has anyone else ever woke up to a random new noise (with no sound trauma/infection/ obvious trigger) and it’s eventually gone away? Starting to worry that this is going to be a permanent addition as the sound is significantly louder than my existing sounds so am really struggling to ignore it, but I guess it is only day 3 so there’s still hope.

Thanks

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I have sounds that come and go constantly. It seems to be completely random sometimes.

I would give it some time. I have had sounds / tones stick around for days - weeks - months before disappearing or changing into something else.

Seeing that you didn’t have any events that would trigger this I assume that it will disappear again.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ToriaM34

ToriaM34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for replying, this does give me some hope. I think when I originally got tinnitus I did have some sounds come and go but I haven’t had a new one for a few years so it’s had me quite panicked.

It’s so frustrating as I was doing a lot better over the past couple of weeks but it seems that whenever I’m starting to feel better something always happens to make things worse again. Such is life

• Like Like x 1
    4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Haha yes life does like to keep us on our toes unfortunately. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, it may just be one of those things that comes and goes.

Stay strong!

5. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      This!

• Like Like x 2
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      can it go away? yes. will it? you get to find that one out.

best of luck to you!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Oh yes. In the beginning I would get this LOUD tone that would literally knock me out of bed. It was a sharp and loud single tone. That tone went away and on occasion would come back.

8. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      There's a type of tinnitus known as Typewriter Tinnitus you may want to look into. It's pretty rare - one or two people around here have had it. As for it changing? All the time. Loud days, quiet days, sometimes pure tone, sometimes really static-y, sometimes a dental drill in my head - my pitch is really high, like dog whistle high. And pulsatile at times - I have a dehiscence in my left ear - aka SSCD. On louder more annoying days I describe it more as a babbling brook/static where it's just fluctuating all over. And good days it's just pure tone - which is good because I can usually just tune it out at least for long periods here and there.

The beginning is the worst. Dangerously so for a lot of people - around here at any rate. I was completely suicidal because mine came on so loud and strong initially. Took about 3 months for the first major drop - from an 8 - 10 to a 3-5. Now it can be anywhere from a 1-8 on any given day though it's generally more in the 2-5 range with a 3 being the average. Annoying but not suicidally so. My advice is don't try to tough it out. Get some 1mg Lorazepam and dose as needed and getting on a tricyclic anti-depressant - Nortriptyline is the drug of choice for most - can really help - I take 20mg a day and it definitely helps. Stress and anxiety cause cortisol reactions which makes the tinnitus worse so it become s a self-reinforced negative feedback loop. The AD helps keep you level and calmer preventing that.

It's always best to do this ASAP as it will increase your chances of the tinnitus ending early. There's a lot of solid conjecture that tinnitus creates neural pathways that will continue the tinnitus even though the conditions that caused it to arise have been resolved and than it takes time for your brain enough to relax and let those pathways decay - and end the tinnitus. And don't forget, for the majority of people it ends sooner rather than later - anywhere from 3 to 18 months.

9. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Yes. Several times, I had brand new noises that went away in a few days. Interestingly, they do come back once in a while (a few times a month), but they cease being constant.

If your ears didn't sustain fresh damage (no acoustic trauma, infection, ototoxic meds etc), I think you can consider such things to be temporary deviations which will eventually regress back to the mean. It has always worked out that way for me.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ToriaM34

ToriaM34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for replying. I did see type writer tinnitus come up when I googled but I don’t think that’s what I have as I don’t have any jaw problems and it doesn’t sound like ‘clicking’ to me, but thanks for letting me know.

It’s interesting to hear how your tinnitus changes constantly as I’ve had mine for about 10 years now and for maybe the last 5 it’s stayed about the same, whenever I’ve had a spike it’s just been an increase in volume of my existing noises rather than a whole new noise entirely so that’s what’s got me worried.

I’m actually waiting in a&e right now as Ive been feeling very suicidal today and I think I’m at the end of my tether so I’m hoping they’ll give me some sort of sedative and start me on an anti depressant (won’t be an ssri as I’ve reacted badly to sertaline in the past). Just want to go back to how I felt before this happened.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Hang in there kiddo. You know it waxes and wanes. Personally I'm really excited about Neuromod. I think this is a good way forward that's going to help a lot of people. Neuroplasticity repair will aid in all manner of cognitive disorders.

Do you work out regularly? I do and find it really helps overall. It's also a good distraction.

12. Whatissilence

Whatissilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This exact thing happened to me last night. I’ve had tinnitus since I was a young child, always the same tone (for 30 years) and suddenly woke last night to a much louder Morse code noise. I’m trying to stay calm but it’s really upsetting. I sleep with a fan on to mask my usual tinnitus but this sound was louder than the fan, I actually thought it was an external noise first & was shocked to realise it was coming from my ear.

I have tinnitus in both ears but just this new sound in one. I’ve had a throat infection & my ear & glands still hurt on that side so I’m praying it’s related & will go away. I’m also pregnant so not sure if that plays a part, although I didn’t have it during my previous pregnancy.

I just feel lost today, I’m so used to the “old” noise & I don’t know how I’ll cope if this is my new normal.
      I read some people think magnesium tablets help, has anyone had experience of this?

13. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Like you said, you’re so used to the old noise. IF it stays, maybe you can find peace in that somehow you got used to it..

Its not uncommon for pregnancy to play a part from what I’ve read, maybe it’ll go away