Announcement Work in Progress. What Do You Think About the Categories?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by Tinnitus Talk, Mar 5, 2011.

tinnitus forum
    1. Tinnitus Talk
      Balanced

Tinnitus Talk Knowledge Base

Even though Tinnitus Talk is pretty much up and rolling as it should be, I'd like to get your opinion on one thing.

That is the categories. Do you think the categories are sufficient on TT? Are there too few of them, or too many of them?

If you like the current categories and think they are simple and effective, then please tell that.

If you think I could do something to improve them, then especially tell that :)

All opinions are important!

Thanks.

2. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Hi markku, Thanks for setting up this forum. It looks great. I mentioned setting up a new forum a few months back over at dailystrength but it didn't get a lot of response. I think your forum is much more well organized an will provide a better resource of knowledge for people who need info or want to do research. Dailystrength is nice if you just want to talk but is very disorganized and repetitious. Congratulations I think this will be a big sucess. I will be back with some more postings. One thing that was really important for me getting a handle on tinnitus was SLEEP. I think you may want to have a category for people to post their sleep strategies. I spent a lot of energy on that one and I think it pretty much saved my life. thanks again, I'll be back. I have had T for years and have lots of info and experience.
      Jim

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Thanks Jim,

I really don't have any excuse for not having created a Sleep category in the first place.

One of the biggest problems for so many after getting T, that it really deserves its own section.

I also mention Relaxation, I think they go well together. Maybe even concentration could go into that category, let's see how things pan out.

Markku

4. lemmings

lemmings Member

looks good to me. can't really think of any other topics you could add.

5. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      After a few days of use and getting used to this site I have to say I really like it . It's a pleasure to use. One thing I have seen on another site that I use (unrelated to tinnitus) is a "sticky" feature. It's a feature where by the moderator can place a permanent "sticky note" at the top of a category for things that are deemed important, answers to faqs, how to's, explanations etc. Don't know if you have that ability but you might want to. It's a nice feature. Not something you would want to do often but a nice thing to have.
      Jim

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yeah I know that feature and it's available here too. Will become handy.

Which reminds me that we should probably try and find a moderator here. Would you be interested Jim? You are active and in my opinion seem to have all the qualities of a good and fair moderator.

Then again I know for a fact that not everybody would want to be one, so if you're not up for it, it's more than fine.

Maybe I should create a new thread for this discussion in the near future. I would like to keep things like this pretty public, no reason for any backroom secrecy.

Actually we don't have to have additional moderators just yet because the site is still small and the workload is minimal, but at this point I was mainly thinking of things like spam bot attacks. The forum shouldn't be prone to attacks, but better be sure... The CAPTCHA is for the time being text based, I can change it to image based later on when the forum grows and the chance of spam attacks increase.

It would be great if the first moderator was also from the US/Can/etc since their active time would be totally different from mine (thanks time zones!).

Something to think about.

7. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I'd be happy to be a moderator when and if you need one. Here are the caveats, I have never moderated and I'm not a techie so it would be on the job training. I am in the U.S. (GMT-7) and have lots of free time. Thanks for asking.
      Jim

8. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Really easy stuff. Intuitive and no need to know any programming languages.

I'll start a conversation with you about this in a couple of days. EDIT: it'll take me a while longer, I'm thinking about the best way to do this. Even though the stuff is quite easy and intuitive, maybe I should record a screencast or something showing that basic stuff. I will start a convo with you later but it might not be this week. I'll get back to you however and really appreciate the fact that you are willing to help. :)

Markku

9. Rozier

Rozier Member

Markku,

Tinnitus sufferers want a cure.

Personal introductions will not cure tinnitus. Neither will Support, Sleep and Relaxation, Treatments, Hearing Protection, Tinnitus Maskers and Hearing Aids or Success Stories.

Only Medical Research will lead to a cure, and soon I hope. Accordingly, I believe this category for discussion should be moved to the top of Tinnitus Talk's list of forums. After Medical Research, which I suggest you consider re-naming, Research News, I would place Treatments, then Support. Save Introduce Yourself for last.

I suggest you re-arrange the forum headings then as follows:

Research News
      Treatments
      Support
      Introduce Yourself

Sub-headings do the rest. Under Research News the category sub-headings would be as they currently appear, likewise with Treatments. However, under Treatments I suggest you include the TSMB's list of snake oil treatments or start your own. Then I would move Sleep and Relaxation, Hearing Protection, Tinnitus Maskers and Hearing Aids and Success Stories under Support.

General Chat runs the risk, as all open forums do, of becoming a platform upon which disputes and petty bickerings are carried on, rather than settled or ended. I would closely monitor member exchanges here with an eye towards eliminating the category.

Otherwise, there are some useful ideas contained in "The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing" that might be helpful in your thinking towards enhancing the focus of Tinnitus Talk and thereby it's appeal and general utility. Specifically in the area of condensation as a concept for the purposes of creating a powerful message. If you are not already familiar with it, the book has long been considered foundational in it's approach to the subject of marketing. Marketing as a means to brand and audience building. They are after all, one in the same.

Thank you for bringing Tinnitus Talk into being.

10. Rozier

Rozier Member

Would it be possible to add a chatroom to Tinnitus Talk ?

11. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yeah, a chatroom would be quite easy to add. This CometChat looks really awesome, but comes with a price tag of $49: http://www.cometchat.com/xenforo-chat
      It would integrate nicely within this site as we use xenForo. It also supports one-to-one conversations plus of course general chatrooms.

I will look into free alternatives also. Thanks for the suggestion (y)

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Thanks so much for the detailed post! I think your post was one of the better ones on the whole board since the beginning when it comes to feedback and suggestions.

I know we all want a cure, but for some reason I didn't think of that in the same way you did and therefore arranged the forums as they are now. Probably the reason behind the current arrangement was the lack of treatment options etc. I do see your point though and completely agree with it. Research News and Treatments should be given higher priority. While I think the Support and Introductions are quite important as well, I actually see no reason not to rearrange the forums as per your suggestion, and I will be doing that change today or tomorrow. Support and Introductions will be easily found below those others.

And hey, I'll order The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing the next time I order something from Amazon, marketing is an interesting subject, so the book will probably be a stimulating read regardless of Tinnitus Talk, and might very well help this site too.

Sorry for the crazily late reply, I have no real excuse for that, but I actually read your posts on this discussion only today.

May I ask how you found Tinnitus Talk? :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    13. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The forum is now a lot more condensed.

I'm not 100% sure if I changed everything how you imagined it Rozier, but personally I think this is the way to go. What do you think? What does everyone think? I'm not quite sure if Success Stories is best placed within Introduce Yourself as a sub forum.

Considering that Tinnitus Talk is still quite small a community, I think having less categories for discussions is beneficial at this stage.

When the influx of new messages raises noticeably, it's easy to create new categories/sub-forums once again.

14. Rozier

Rozier Member

Thank you. The forum looks wonderful. I found it while searching for a chatroom...I'm not feeling so good right now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Looks good.