Would Hair Cell Regeneration Solve Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paulmanlike, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Okay so as most of you may know, most tinnitus is noise-induced and most of you have some degree of hearing loss whether it's detectable or not. Or you may have damaged your hair cells by medication.

My question to you is do you think hair cell regeneration will actually solve your tinnitus? I don't mean by an increasing hearing to detect external sounds but rather an actual reduction in volume or total alleviation?

I ask this because of my research there is a lot of talk on hair cell regeneration on the Internet and on YouTube but none really actually talk whether this may or may not solve tinnitus.

There is also the issue that tinnitus is 'ringing in the brain' led by Josef Rauschecker, implying that several areas of the brain are responsible for chronic tinnitus, which leads to the debate of actually would hair cell regeneration really reverse this tinnitus.

Open for debate here and I think I've asked a very good question.

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    2. UpDownAround
      Spaced

UpDownAround Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I had tinnitus while my hearing was still perfect. I have some loss in the upper registers, but that's only been in the last 10 or 15 years; I have had tinnitus over twice that long.

So, no, I don't think it would do anything for me. I don't think mine is physical; I think it is faulty wiring. I have H with a startle response; an "on the spectrum" kind of startle response.

I think a reasonably clean audio feed is making it to the conversion point where it becomes sensory input to the brain and something goes haywire at or after that point.

3. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      I don't think it will because as you mention it's more a brain problem. So I don't see how inner ear regeneration would eliminate tinnitus.. But I expect a reduction in tinnitus due to following reasons:

1/ More than 50% of the people that try a hearing aid notice a reduction in T as there's more input to the ear. Regeneration should have superior effects compared to hearing aids.
      2/ Residual inhibition => More input and lower tinnitus
      3/ Better hearing => Hear more environmental sounds => Better masking

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    4. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I'd love to think it would but I just can't see it fixing tinnitus. I'm also sad that hearing loss is being fixed before tinnitus, because once that happens people will stop caring. The normies think the worst part of hearing loss is hearing loss, and it will take so much longer to get anything that works with tinnitus.

This is assuming Frequency Therapeutics is going to succeed, which considering the history of tinnitus experiments, I highly doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Everything you mentioned will only work with bad hearing loss in the everyday hearing range. If you don't fall into that category then you're still screwed.

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have a "perfect" audiogram (up to 8 kHz) - I know I could have lost something above that but would opt for a cell regeneration only if it would fix my tinnitus. Hearing loss - if I have any is virtually unnoticeable.

7. UpDownAround
      Spaced

UpDownAround Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      So I went and looked for Josef Rauschecker, and watched his TED Talk. That is very interesting.

I have mentioned in other threads that my T & H get worse when I am depressed; that jives with his research. HE does say it is likely I had some hearing loss before tinnitus I guess it is possible; my presumption that it was perfect was because I did not have any trouble hearing anything. Now I do, and it started to be noticeable about 15 years ago.

Whether new hair cells would reverse the effect is difficult to say.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      My hearing isn't good at all so I fall in that category :)

We will see if it would work for people with good hearing as well, I don't think anyone knows yet, we will know a lot more in about 1-2 years when the first trial results on ear regeneration will be published.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      I think... we just don't know. It may or it may not. I think reduction is possible, a good point made by Rubenslash regarding hearing aids. A reduction may just be enough for some of us.

10. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      I have profound, sensorineural hearing loss so the damage could be to the eighth cranial (auditory) nerve, as well as my hair cells. I don't know that regenerating hairs would be enough to restore my hearing and I don't know if hearing restoration would ultimately reduce my T and H but I am glad they are trying new things.

• Hug Hug x 3
    11. ifilip

ifilip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound
      It will cure tinnitus if you tinnitus was caused by damaged hair cells. It other words due to load sound: constant (listening to load music for years) or sudden (shooting, explosion).

If the cause of tinnitus is something else, then it might not help.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      A lot of internet sources report decrease of tinnitus with hearing aids, e.g. here (in case of hearing loss tinnitus).

From the otherhand, I wonder to what extent they might be able to regenerate haircells due to scar tissue etc. And then we have the nerves, which allegedly, in some sources, are considered to be the source of tinnitus.

I truly hope that hair cell regeneration would lead to tinnitus reduction, but I think first resolution is coming from medication working on the brain. Hope this medication will be there quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Frequency Therapeutics Stage 2 trial should answer this question

(You)

14. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      God I wish I could like posts. Later today I get my spam privelage s back so that's good

• Like Like x 1
    15. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      The cause of mine is loud sound (concert) and I have absolutely no hear loss under 12khz. So... not necessarily true.

16. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      • Like Like x 1
    17. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Look up "hidden hearing loss".

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Will everyone who has T have some type of hearing loss or will that come the longer you have it?

19. Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hidden hearing loss is one of the dozens of unproven theories for the development of tinnitus. Due to a lack of input from intact hair cells, the bored brain would produce phantom sounds...
      The advocates of this theory usually sell hearing aids... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    20. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      [citation needed]
      So Charles Liberman's end goal is to sell hearing aids? Go figure.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Sadly because that is the only option available in our current period of time

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0162726

The theory is hidden hearing loss is fact

You understand how auditory nerve fibers connect have a synapse connection to hair cells?
      We'll they are more vulnerable to damage then the hair cells and this can also cause tinnitus and may be exclusive to the cause of hyperacusis.

Charles Liberman is a leading expert on hearing loss and tinnitus please read his work

Future treatments for hidden hearing loss
      --------------------------------------------------

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/otonomy-oto-413-—-treatment-of-hidden-hearing-loss.26091/

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hidden hearing loss may be one of the possible causes, and hearing aids are a potential help for some of this subgroup.
      But tinnitus is far more varied in its causes than this rush: Hearing loss -> Hearing aid

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Tinnitus is a brain problem

What is neuroplasticity?

upload_2018-5-31_15-28-31.png
      What causes tinnitus?
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4208401/
      Mechanisms of tinnitus -- a story of men,...

upload_2018-5-31_15-27-49.png

It is true that tinnitus starts out in the auditory brain then spreads to regions of the brain unrelated to hearing however unless there is direct evidence stating reversing hearing loss on a biological level does NOT reduce tinnitus then the former is more likely but it is still a burning quetion. I am waiting for Frequency Therapeutics stage 2 or the work of Otonomy and Decibel Therapeutics to answer this question.

I don't assume the brain is retarded, but if it is there will most likely never be a cure for tinnitus in our lifetimes.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1