Would You Worry About Howling Wind?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Elfin, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hey gang,

So today, we have had some pretty rough weather - I'm talking high winds that destroyed some trees in the night and took out some power lines.

Today, the sun came out but the wind has still been high. Anyhow, I decided to take my dogs out for a walk.

On getting to some large open clearings the wind really picked up and began to howl. I pulled my phone out and measured 116db! Is this possible, as that is louder than nightclubs and concerts!

I had some earmuffs on so that the wind wouldn't blow directly into my ears and a hood up, but worried now that I may have caused some serious permanent damage by being exposed to this 'noise'.

My ear does seem to have a new tone going on now, but who knows if this is the wind exposure of the noise or anxiety!

Any help and advice and support would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks team!

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No way a wind gust is 116db; also no way that phone apps are accurate or reliable for noises that loud.

Crazy weather, by itself, is usually enough to set my tinnitus off. Pressure changes and all.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi @linearb, what sort of weather sets yours off?

Windy conditions nothing to worry about?

• Creative Creative x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anything with rapidly plummeting or rising barometric pressures, so usually storm systems entering and leaving the area.

When I ski or ride bicycles I tend to use cloth wraps over my ears under my helmet to provide some degree of aerodynamic protection from the wind, but if I'm just out walking around the woods or whatever, or even skiing diamond glades, I don't bother.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      impossible for 2 reasons.

1) cellphone mics typically has upper cutoff range of 90dB. Phone apps cannot reliable measure above 100dB.

2) ever try blowing into a mic? It comes out super loud over the speakers. same thing with wind. The air movement just move the mic diaphram and mimics a super loud sound

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Not only are the mics not suitable, but there is also no windshield.