Ya KNOW What's WEIRD?!? Why Didn't the Dormitory Fire Alarm Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Path Maker, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I remember in college, the dormitory fire alarm erupted (with some frequency) at a soul-splitting volume that would literally galvanize a dead person into a standing posture and make smoke come out of their ears to boot.

I endured that with regularity. It would nearly make me SCREAM when it woke me.

How, oh how COME, did THAT not cause tinnitus? It took another 35 years of good clean living until this all began.

Mama mia.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Yes, wondering the same, my old house had a very sensitive alarm, that would ring once in a while, it was AWFUL, we would end up covering our ears and go to the backyard running from the noise lol.
      i think the so called "damage" may be cumulative
      i had my onset on february, i was under a lot of stress, and to be honest
      i spent all january at loud gigs, bars and clubbing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I guess not all T are caused by acoustic trauma. Hearing loss may occur naturally via aging. But the curious thing is not all people with hearing loss will have T. Only some people and no one seems to find out why.

There are many causes which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including drug reaction or side-effects, ear or Eustachian tube infection, ear drum injury, fluid build-up feeling pressured, TMJ, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma, neck muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's, barotrauma from flight, grief for the loss of love ones, untreated sleep apnea, elevated stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc. But then again, not all people with those conditions develop T. So we are back to square 1, that it is a complex thing inside our brain and so the trigger of T can vary between people to people. Perhaps that is why it is so hard to find a magic bullet which can fix all forms of T for all people.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      A good alarm usually changes frequency quickly. It could start high and go low each time it goes off. Which means a small part of the auditory path is only subjected to a loud noise very shortly, hence there's little excitation in total and there should be no damage.

5. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I only had 20 good years in my life before tinnitus came.

6. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Many reasons,
      but again, no 1 solution.

7. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Oh the misery of T...

I was blasting my ears with very loud noises but I had no ringing issue till benzo withdrawal.. If I had never touched a benzo, I would not have had tinnitus at all I guess..