You Ever Get Tinnitus Spikes After Being Sick?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pali, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Pali
      Question it

Pali Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So, I've been sick this last week. On Thursday I got a loud low pitched tinnitus, but I could almost not hear the high pitched one at all. It was difficult to ignore but at the same time I felt less"sick", if that makes sense.

A couple of days ago, the high pitched came back with it, and it's been LOUD. So loud, that masking it doesn't really work anymore. I hear it still, the shrill, loud noise.

This won't be permanent right? I'm terrified of that idea, it's genuinely scary how loud it is in a quiet place, let alone a room full of people. I can't relax, I've been waking up 3-4 times a night, etc.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Unfortunately nobody can tell, but spikes tend to be temporary. But it can take weeks or even months to subside. :(

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pali
      Question it

Pali Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah...
      For me, some spikes come and go in like a minute, since I have them so often. Others can last an hour, 3... And this own has lasted a while.

I just don't want it to be permanent. I have no idea why this is happening to me anyways... My ears can hear perfectly, no damage. I just don't understand why my brain is doing this to me.

4. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Does the illness affect your ears or your brain? If not, then this is just a temporary disruption which will revert back to the mean once you've healed, because there was no permanent damage and the system will tend back to its equilibrium.

Spikes are horrible. I'm just coming out of a 2-week-long one. But in your case, there is a very easily identifiable cause, and an almost 100% chance that it will go away after its cause has resolved.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pali
      Question it

Pali Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

I really hope so, thank you a lot. It's been terrible living like this.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pali
      Question it

Pali Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      To update: The tinnitus is so loud I CANNOT drown it out. I cannot talk without hearing it. I cannot watch videos and watch them. I need several sound sources to lessen it. My head feels like it's on fire, and my sanity is crumbling. I honestly, truthfully, have to deal with the sound being loud 24/7 right now.

Please... Please don't be permanent. I'm tired of this, and it's hurting me.

• Hug Hug x 1