A Cure for Hearing Loss and Tinnitus Is Possible in 10 Years

Discussion in 'Support' started by hoper, Oct 19, 2014.

1. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      • Like Like x 4
    2. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I'm really hoping that this happens. Of all the treatments in the pipeline, this is the one that I'm most excited about.

3. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      When I see all the cynics I can't help but think why?
      Scientist's have already proven that mammals are indeed able to regenerate hair cells, they are also in the progress of finding the exact balance of chemicals to trigger this, following these two facts I can't help but wonder why think a cure for Tinnitus in the very least in the hearing loss section as impossible when the truth is it is not only possible but very doable with enough research being put in, and it is being put in no matter how much some people will go and say hearing aid companies will blockade it.
      Humans advance it is what we do, yes we kill each other for stupid reasons but we do the progressing thing far more, who's to say that in 30 years we won't be able to simply reprogramme the brain into simply not having Tinnitus or any other such conditions.

4. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      10 years is a long time away!!! makes me even more depressed!

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      This is such a tricky thing to do.
      You must know a lot to put the genes it the state and evironment to regrow. And even if you do that how do you tell the brain to turn the ringing off cause new hair cells just appeared. This is a very complicated Stuff and I hardly believe it can be done that soon unless we crack the DNA.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. FuzzyFrey
      Dreaming

FuzzyFrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sustained loud noise through headphones
      I think neuroscience needs to play a big role in the search for curing T as well. Because it's not just the ear, but a lot to do with the brain too. Mind you, tinnitus and hearing loss are on opposite sides of the same coin, so maybe such as thing does indeed play a part. If the cells in the inner ear can be repaired, then it stands to reason that something can be done to fix defective nerves in the brain too. But it is horrendously complicated stuff to people like me. I am dubious as to whether we'll be lucky enough to get long lasting respite from our T in ten years... stranger things have happenend though!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well in theory the brain will turn off the Tinnitus.
      The reason some people with hearing loss have Tinnitus is because of the brain it amplifies the input from damaged cells making sounds where there are none, this is how Tinnitus comes to be.
      If said cells are regenerated the brain won't make them overwork because they will be working themselves.
      No damaged cells-no brain making them overwork-no false signals-no Tinnitus in hearing loss patients.
      Also it's not the genes as much as it is just finding what makes our hair cells not grow and changing it.
      I've read somewhere that it's due to a some chemical actually making them not grow back.
      If it's true and they find a chemical to make the later chemical (wow that's a lot of chemicals) not appear it would let the hair cells regenerate.
      It wouldn't cure Tinnitus in everyone but I'd be a hell of a start now wouldn't it?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      It's actually not that long, especially when you consider how many people have had tinnitus for decades. Plus, think of all the other ailments in life that we're not even close to having a cure for, let alone a prediction in the next decade.

9. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Time flies by for me.
      I just get lost in stuff I forget what time it is.
      During summer break when there's no school to remind me of the day and time don't bother asking me for the time nor what day it is xD
      During summer break the only time I know is my time.
      Anyway 10 years for a possible cure, keep in mind I say possible in a highly optimistic tone isn't really a long time.
      I guess I'm just a really patient person.

10. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I agree with you that time does fly by. I mean, when I look back at the last 10 years of my life, I wonder how in the world the time could have gone by so fast. I know it is only a possible cure. I'm being hopeful, but my hope isn't in the cure. I think I am pretty habituated now, and it doesn't feel like the worst possible thing in the world if a cure doesn't happen in my life time anymore.

But, the fact that a cure is possible in 10 years, is still pretty exciting. I mean, so many other conditions out there are decades, maybe even centuries from being cured, but the condition we have might be curable in our life time... perhaps as soon as 10 years. That's pretty exciting.

Are you a student or a teacher?

11. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Student, but I'm really advanced in English so I teach in a private school for English.
      It's mostly for kids like me, the look on their faces when I show up and tell them I'll be teaching them English :giggle:

12. Matthias

Matthias Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2006
      might... they sound like it's already there, but 10 years is still a long time

13. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure or an ear infection, or maybe a combination :(
      Yay! :)
      10 years is a long time, but I was expecting 20 years so that's better than I thought.
      Hopefully this happens :p
      Thanks for sharing this.

14. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      But I will be a 110

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      In 10 years
      Cure- most likely not
      Working treatments for all which would reduce the noise or speed up habituation-100% yes

We already have TRT and neuromonics working for most. We will have even better versions of it and many other treatments along with better understanding of this goddamn tinnitus .. Long live 21st century and modern medicine ! Lol

16. Giovanni
      Insomnious

Giovanni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Woke up one morning.
      It gives me hope knowing in ten years! That's all we need to do, survive for 10 more years and set up an appointment for this procedure, and after it's done cry tears of joy in pure silence :)

• Like Like x 3
    17. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I hope it happens, and I hope it works for EVERYONE.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      FYI: Inner-ear structure is very complex. There are different reasons for deafness and "T". Whether congenital, environmental or human-caused, and it's NOT just by dysfunctional "ear hairs" (Cilia hair-cells), as some believe. For instance, & not limited to...
      Drugs cannot modify or morph inner ear structures! (How we wish!)
      Hearsay cures for Tinnitus vs. Deafness is very BROAD and skeptical. Keep in mind...
      Regarding JUST -Deafness- a cure means either:

1. Regrowth of dysfunctional or absent auditory nerve (8th)
      2. Regrowth of whole new cochlea! (from anomalies: e.g. dysplasia or hypoplasia, cochlear impl.)
      3. Tweak and modify inner-ear complex anatomy structures (congenital perhaps)
      4. Regrowth of Cilia hairs, which they're experimenting (for specific hearing-loss)
      5. Classify the exact type of neurons misfiring (same concept for depression)
      6. Regrowth/fix damage caused by Drs./Surgeons/Researchers to patients, which made them DEAF. Such as- drilling out mastoid bones, artery injuries, neurological damage, stapedectomies, cochlear implants, drugs (e.g. gentamicin, NSAIDs etc.) Huge FACTOR.
      7. Age-related = $$$: a current study/Autifony, experimenting in the creation of another short-term "T" drug: Aut00063 for "conductive" hearing-loss, short-term "T", with NO other ear, mental health, or health physical issues. *Hmmm* (Long-term:May cause dementia / deafness).

19. kane

kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2013
      Hi guys do you think once a cure is available do you think the average person would be able to afford it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Maybe there will be a cure for some forms of tinnitus before the end of this century. By then most of us will be hearing no T anyways.

21. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yes, of course... in 60´s they said mankind will colonize the Mars by the end of a century.
      No way this could happen.

22. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      At the other hand, in the 60s no one would have thought we are now all walking around with more advanced devices in our hands than what was seen in Star Trek at the time. In the 60s no one could even dream about a computer as we know it now or what it would look like. Let alone that it would be common in every household in the 90s and practically phased out and replaced by tablets and smartphones at the dawn of the new century.

Ridiculous claims have been made, yet also things have been achieved no one could think of at the time. The science for inner-ear hair cell regeneration is already here, there are examples in birds and sea-anemones which provide already working models for researchers to work with. Audion Therapeutics will start human trials next year. Then there's Novartis/Genvec which are also making progress.

Yes, there is a lot of work to be done. But I believe we might just pull it off in 10 years time scientifically and technologically. The only thing fueling my skepticism is potential funding deficits hampering the progress.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Right, but reason is that computers and small personal devices are fun to use and so useful for most people and companies, so it is very commercially succesful. Such huge profit is basis for additional development.

Cure for T (and many other health issues) would be "only" pleasure for those who suffers by it. No big profit, nobody cares. Scientific research can only be donated.

24. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I really think there should be more government funding for medical research. The US could cut it's defense budget by 25% and put that money towards medical research.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      My god if that was done very rapid advancements would be made. Not just towards T but towards all sorts of other diseases.

26. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Healthcare has infinite demand at the point of use because people will pay a high price to have their pain go away. In business it's often said: you're either selling vitamin or aspirin. Selling a positive lifestyle or removing a pain point. People tend to pay more for the removal of pain than the positive lifestyle especially if it's urgent.

27. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      I believe there will be a huge profit for the first company that comes up with a serious relief for tinnitus and related inner ear issues.

28. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      10 years Ill be cinder. 10 years of this adversity forget it.

29. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Hm, tried to think more about it:

Can you imagine situation, when a patient with incurable disease live to see a new cure discovered? Did that ever happen? It is not so simple to answer, because "cure" is considered to be anything that ease pain and slow down symptoms, for example. So, yes, in that way this happened.
      And yes, it would be great to have such cure, which reduces intensity of T or block perception of T for at least short time. Maybe in 10 years there will be a new method found. But, sorry, I would not consider this as a cure... it is not enough to get rid of IT.

Also, maybe something like preventive vaccination will come (or genetic manipulation). Newborns and small children will have a chance to not get tinnitus from hearing damage, or have their´s inner ear cells self-repaired. It would be great for them, but not a chance for us - old, long term patients - I am afraid.