Anyone Have Experience With Amitriptyline for Sleep?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Douglas C, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Douglas C

Douglas C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I've had tinnitus over a month now. I'm over the "it's probably best to just kill myself" mentality and I'm starting the road to habituation.

Right now I'm most concerned about my cocktail of drugs for sleep and anxiety. First I got ativan (worked ok for a week or so) but it started to have no effect. The next drug my doctor prescribed is amitriptyline, I've only been taking it for 3 days now. The first night I took 3 (30mg) and it did a great job of making me drowsy and getting sleep. I've tried taking 20mg the next 2 nights and it isn't affecting me too much now. I read online that a side effect of amitriptyline is tinnitus(!) and since I read that, I feel like I cannot mask my tinnitus at night no matter what sound vortex I get myself into.

I'm pretty sure it's just me being paranoid, if you look up any drug they all have a long list of crazy side effects. I'm just wondering if anyone has had personal experience with amitriptyline, and what's the best sleeping drug you have found for yourself?

Before I got drugs prescribed I drank a lot of nyquil and neo-citran, but those don't last very long, I usually wake up after 2 hours or so.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I don't have much to say about sleeping aids, I was very fortunate in that regard that I only had to use Temazepam for a while, and then got off of them. Melatonin did wonders too; it really helped me get some more natural sleep.

No experience on Amitriptyline, but this was "funny" (did a quick googling) about it: "Interestingly one of the common side effects IS insomnia, along with dry mouth, weight gain, dizziness, and confusion".

But at this point (you're a recent case) I suppose your biggest problem is anxiety when trying to fall asleep? Or? I did read your other thread regarding your beginning of TRT, and from there I picked you are trying sound enrichment during the night also, but I guess that alone doesn't help you getting sleep, instead you also need to use drugs to help you get some sleep.

It is an unbelievably sucky situation you are in. I feel you. Thinking back and remembering how I felt when my tinnitus started... I've come a long way. I felt so alone, lost and hopeless. And angry at myself since my tinnitus likely could have been avoided. But time heals.

Never ever give up.

May I ask how your tinnitus started...?

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Douglas C

Douglas C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      It came on pretty recently, about 1 month ago.

My wife was on the phone, talking and laughing loudly. I reached over her desk to grab something, and at the exact same time, she turned her head and laughed directly into my ear very loudly. I heard a static-like noise in my ear, like when you turn a speaker up too high and it crackles a bit. That night the tinnitus started. When I got examined I had plugged sinus AND totally plugged earwax in that ear (I don't get checkups often :p ) I still feel like I have "something" rattling and vibrating in that ear, when I blow my nose or when I breathe through it I can feel and hear the clogged congestion.

My story reads like a textbook case from what I can tell. I have always been a very cool, even-temepered, basically emotionless person. I looked down on people who claimed to "suffer from depression." I thought of them as just weak minded people. About a week into the tinnitus, I experienced genuine madness, and suicidal thoughts which seemed very rational at the time. My mind was cracking, and I felt sure it was just a matter of time before the tinnitus would chip away at my sanity.

I went to the emergency room 3 times and to the clinic 3 or 4 times urging different doctors to look in my ear, surely the last 5 doctors had missed something. I was in full fight/flight mode.

The low-point was the famous first meeting with an ENT. I called every day to see if there were any cancellations and got in early. He spent literally 5 minutes on me. Looked in my ear briefly, said everything looked fine, I had tinnitus, there is no cure, sorry about that... go get a hearing test and come back.

He gave me a little slip of paper of a reference to an audiologist for a hearing test, and it had 'tinnitus re-training therapy' written on it somewhere. This gave me some hope and I googled it and learned everything I could about it. I had to decided to sign up and buy the sound generators before I even walked through the audiologist's door.

I have such a different perspective on people that suffer from depression and anxiety now. It's like someone took a syringe and filled it with liquid fear and doubt, and shot it into my system. Even though logically and rationally I understood my condition, I still would get mild panic attacks and have knots in my stomach all day for "no reason." This is slowly getting better. I have defiantly stopped taking my clonzapan this week, we'll see how that goes.

Speaking of drugs, I took that amitryptaline for 4 days, it makes me dizzy, and sleeping seems harder than on the other drugs, I am stopping it and going back to my old stuff (weak ativan knockoff called loranzepan or something like that) and hopefully my doctor will prescribe me something new. I have a VERY anti-drug doctor. I practically begged him for sleeping pills at one point but all he would do was tell me to try clonzapan for a week. Right about now I wish I had a drug-pushing doctor, I suppose I will eventually thank him but right now it's frustrating, I would kill for some sleep. I don't have very many shady acquaintances but someone I worked with managed to score me 2 precious "zopiclone" pills. I took one and got 5 hours sleep on it, and I'm saving the second one for a special occasion. I kind of like the fact that it's there just in case, I may never use it.

Since I'm writing a novel here I want to add that I am extremely grateful to you Markuu, for starting this great little forum. Your and Jim's posts have been invaluable to me, in fact I have Jim's 6 hour water mp3 in on my night time ipod right now!

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Douglas, I hate to be drug pusher but have you tried ambient? I've been taking it every night for several years. I've been able to reduce it down to about 1/4 tablet now. No side affects that I can detect. Gets me to sleep and most nights I can get through about 6-7 hrs. Getting quality sleep is the crucial in my opinion.

5. Jon Wayne

Jon Wayne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      phytocalm is nice, helps instantly when i cant sleep

6. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      I have just one word to say: "Remeron", also known by the name Mirtazapine. It's a good anti-depressant that will put you to sleep. I am having no side effects.

Some anti-anxiety drugs, such as Xanax and Klonopin are great - at first - for putting you to sleep. However, they can lead to causing depression. Anyone taking these needs to be careful about long term use, in my opinion.

When I got Tinnitus, I became desperate - especially for sleep. I took Melatonin, which seems pretty good. I was having major anxiety and panic attacks. I went to a psychiatrist. She prescribed Zoloft. But then I read the label that Zoloft can cause ringing in the ears! So, I asked for something different.

I am happy to say Remeron is easy. If you use it, make sure not to drive, because you will get sleepy. My only regret: No drinking alcohol while taking this drug. Major bummer.

7. mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      Did beer or wine effect yout T before you started the Remeron.I liked to drink around 6 beers about 3 times a week before the T set in. what are your thoughts?

8. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Mike -
      I have always liked drinking beer. However, this summer I decided beer may be making me depressed, so I switched to wine. I haven't had a beer since August.

Then I got tinnitus in December. I was pretty desperate because I couldn't sleep. I went to a psychiatrist who prescribed Remeron. There's a warning label "Do not drink alchohol". But after a couple of months, I asked my doctor and pharmacist if it's "ok" to drink, and they gave me the thumbs up.

I've been drinking a glass or two of wine everynight, and I'm fine with the Remeron. It's a pleasure to have a drink.

If you take Remeron, take it close to bedtime. Don't drive.

Here's a plan: Don't take the Remeron on weekends when you drink 6 beers. Take it during the week when you don't drink.

Unlike some anti-depressants, Remeron won't give you "cold turkey" if you skip it. You use it to get to sleep and cut down anxiety. If you're drinking 6 beers, you're already so relaxed, it's not a good idea to take additional meds.

9. Jarre

Jarre Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      New to the forum :)

I'm 18 and had tinnitus for over 2 years now, started when i was on holiday.

Ive never used any form of drug. Tinnitus doesnt bother me through the day, however to sleep i have to have a fan on in my room, i have had this EVERY night since i got it.

10. Simon Bloggs

Simon Bloggs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2012
      This is my first post. I am desperate blaming myself for my Tinnitus. I first noticed it very mildly back in august and I just wished that I could get back to that but I had a friend visit me who made a big thing about my ear wax in my ear and bought me an ear pick. I took to cleaning my ear and eventually bought a ear syringe on amazon. At first I was really happy that I cleared the wax out. I took to trying to keep my ears clean using it three times a week several times on each ear. Here are some other people who left feedback on amazin:

i had to fill the syringe about 20 times for each ear before stuff started coming out, but the preassure is less than half what you'd get from those strong motorised syringes you get from the nurses. when the wax starts to come out it feels amazing when you see whats just fallen out of your ear! when you meet the little blighter thats been muffling your hearing for the last week :)

i read some reviews where people have said they can get wax out after a couple of jets in each ear.. if thats true then as far as i'm concerned, those people do not have a real wax problem like me!! this takes time.. about 10 mins at least of contsant filling and squrting in each ear.

This product has been beautifully designed to be extremely safe and effective. I have worked in ENT and syringed ears, so I know a good product and this is one. It is easy to use, will be unlikely to cause any harm and importantly, it is VERY effective. I am well impressed!
      Ok, so I bought this item on the strength of the positive reviews. I received it and waited patiently while putting olive oil in my ears for one week. After the week was over my ears were more blocked than ever with oily gunk and my hearing in my left ear was non-existent. Therefore, I couldn't wait to use the ear syringe and clear it all out. So I finally got to work- did everything as per the instructions and only got tiny millimetre sized bits of wax out. After about 10 goes in each ear I gave up. My ears now felt more waterlogged than ever and my hearing was even worse. Feeling despondent and a bit worried I decided i'd have to face going to see the nurse to get things done professionally.

In the morning I woke with my left ear still very blocked and the right ear feeling sticky. I went online to Amazon UK and US and read all the reviews for this device- one thing became clear- success seemed based on perseverence. So I thought 'what the hell' I'll give it another try. Now I sat patiently by the sink and must have filled the damn syringe well over 100 times BUT... It worked!

To start with I got nothing much except the small bits of wax like before- but I kept going trying various angles and as much pressure as I could generate. Suddenly I had a aching pain- and a fear that I had done something horrible- but what I now realise is that this must have been the pressure on my ear canal as the force of the water dislodged the obstruction. With the pain came a sudden relief and on the end of the syringe nozzle was a huge glob of wax and tissue paper that must have been laying dormant for months to years. It was roughly 7.5mm in diameter and surprised me that it could even fit in my ear. But I didn't stop there- enthused I kept going and, after another 15 mins of squirting, another equal sized lump came out. Gradually I came to understand the process- whenever a lump was dislodged I would find the water stopped draining so freely from my ears and I got that 'underwater hearing feeling- which was a signal to keep going, and eventually there'd be discomfort and then another huge lump would appear. When both ears became truly clear- the water squirted in would drain out in 2 or three 'pops'.

All in all this process took about an hour and a half, in which time around 6 lumps were removed. My hearing is greatly improved and my ears feel clean for the first time in years.

Anyway after using it six times or so, after five days, suddenly I noticed my head had exploded with sound. I blame myself now for using the stupid syringe. I never read about ear wax cleaning and now I have a problem I've read it all in utter anguish. My Tinnitus is bad, I can hear over music. I just want to kill myself for causing such damage to myself. I am such a fool but I have nobody to talk to in my life and never knew the ear was so sensitive and I never really felt any real pain at all. I would have stopped if I'd felt discomfort but I only once felt any kind of discomfort and I felt a little dizzy. I didn't immediately feel anything, I was fine, like i did not have any worsening of the tinnitus until five day later when suddenly it just came on. I am sick now to have caused a life long debilitating condition to myself. I have some age related hearing loss and that caused the initial tinnitus. You think I caused the worsening? I spoke to an audiologist who said it's unlikely since I didn't damage my eardrum but I blame myself.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. grahame

grahame Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      I recently acquired tinnitus and was prescribed amitriptyline by my gp. After about a week and a half of taking it I'm feeling nauseous most of the time. I have no way of knowing whether this is a side effect or a different or associated illness. I also have achy limbs, dry mouth and, I think, mild constipation. A different gp prescribed prochloperazine (stemetil) for the nausea but said it would tale a week or so to kick in. I feel that I can cope better with the tinnitus than the nausea. I'm not able to function feeling sick all the time. So I'm planning to come off the amitriptyline - take the prochloperazine if I feel nauseous and see what transpires. I'll consult my go too but I get the distinct impression that they are making it up as they go along. So maybe I should too. Comments?

• Useful Useful x 1
    12. Vsm

Vsm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      My experience...Tinnitus since Dec 2015....amitriptyline 10mg recently....got dry mouth and tinnitus(ticking and crackling in ear) came more often and stretched out. Anyone have experience coming off that med.?

13. Vsm

Vsm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Oops it happened after 2 1/2 weeks of using med

14. Robstarr

Robstarr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subsequent to an ear irrigation procedure
      I found Amitryptline to be helpful as a sleep aid but not in terms of alleviating my tinnitus. It caused my previously good right ear to start ringing and at a different pitch to the left. Read somewhere on the forum someone complaining of the same

15. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amitryp can cause some weird emotional issues for me as well as for one of my close friends after a period of use.

After years of drugs and white noise for sleep, I am happy to report that I sleep fine in silence without drugs these days. It took a lot of work to get to that point. Definitely worth it. Laying down at night is the one thing I always look forward to, no matter how well or badly stuff in the rest of my life is going.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. Craggy 65
      Amazed

Craggy 65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      I had quite bad Tinnitus for 21 Months now,and a recent spike has sent me back to amitripyline.
      After 5 days my T has reduced through the night.I know it's not conclusive,and I will monitor its progress and report back.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, and possible head trauma
      is your T very bad?

18. AWilson32

AWilson32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphone use
      Been prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg per night to help me sleep.

I guess the response depends on the individual but hopefully this'll help me get a good night's sleep without making me feel like a zombie.

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I took 0.75 of a 10 mg pill, and didn't feel drowsy the next day.

• Winner Winner x 1
    20. AWilson32

AWilson32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphone use
      I see.

Unfortunately it hasn't done anything for me on the first night. Do I need to take it for a while before I experience an effect ?

21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No, it helped me the first time I took it (the first time I took the 10 mg pill). Consider taking 2 pills. Amitriptyline had been used to treat tinnitus(!). I believe the doses were much higher - 50 mg.
      "The patients in the amitriptyline group received 50 mg/day amitriptyline in the first week and 100 mg/day for the following 5 weeks." I got this quote from the paper at the link below.

Having said this, amitriptyline can Cause T.
      According to
      http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/amitriptyline-hydrochloride/tinnitus/
      Most people who got T after taking amitriptyline took it for over 2 years. However, at least one person got T after taking one 10 mg pill... (see the link to the study below)

22. NeuroNut
      Balanced

NeuroNut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear blockage (maybe)
      Old thread I know, but I thought I'd add that I've been on 25mg for about a week and have had both spikes and quiet days so far. Going to give it a few weeks and see. I found 10mg had basically no effect on me.