Autifony Therapeutics Phase II Study for AUT00063, for the Treatment of Hearing Loss and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by attheedgeofscience, Sep 19, 2014.

1. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      All drugs are tested this way. The phase for determing the safety profile is always done on healthy people. These people get paid to test the drugs. It's not crazy at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Jokko
      Amazed

Jokko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Ah ok

3. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Well yes that is effectively the point of phase I, to see if the drug is well tolerated with no ill effects. Volounteers are of course compensated.

4. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yeah and the sufferers get nothing as they are desperate.

• Funny Funny x 2
    5. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Yea. And perhaps instead of becoming tinnitus sufferers they might die. That's the thing about testing, someone always has to be the first guinea pig.

However though before phase I the drug must be tested on animals extensively and the doses are then set at "safe" levels. They actually kill animals by overdosing them just to see at what dose a drug is lethal. Then they might presume what a "safe" dose might be which is then tested in humans in the first phase.

6. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Cruel....But what can we do?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Actually quite a bit is being done in developing ways of testing drugs without killing living things. The dream is being able to test a drug with some kind of model on a computer but we are nowhere near that kind of technology yet. We simply know too little about the human body to be able to build some kind of satisfying computer model.

So for now it's good'old killing off some mice and perhaps a chimp or two and then hopefully no humans in the process.

8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, if we didn't do that, we'd have to kill humans...And is an animals life worth an humans? That's the question you have to ask yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Of course a human is worth more then an animal of any kind really. The universe works this way. There will always be those further down the food chain.

I actually think it's a bit funny when people make a big fuss about animals dying in the name of medical advacement when we kill more animals every day for food then we do in a decade in medical research :LOL:

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      That's those vegans who are iron deficient....You know iron deficiency can cause psychosis? No wonder why they are bat crazy. Seriously, other animals eat other animals, are the vegans gonna stop them? Also, will vegans let animals eat them? I bet they wouldn't. Just following trends.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. sergerold

sergerold Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/14
      This is neither the place nor the time to discuss the morality of animal testing.

That aside your arguments are pretty pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Really, take it you're a vegetation or vegan? If you can counter my arguments that's fair enough.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Actually iron deficiency is not the worst. Vegetables are not a good source of protein. As you may know we need to consume 8 of the 20 amino acids since we can't produce them ourselves and Histidine is one of those that is the hardest to acquire in a vegan diet.

Histidine deficiency can cause a lot of problems in the nervous system one of which is damage of the auditory nerve! :woot: Yeah, that's right. You can get tinnitus from not getting enough of those amino-thingies :D (others are different kinds of psychiatric disorders, hyperactivity, paranoia, hallucinations and so on...)

14. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, personally I'm a meat eater, but I eat lean meat, not beef...

15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Vegans and vegetation in animal testing is a good argument.

16. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, personally I'm a meat eater, but I eat lean meat, not beef...Plus, I'm pretty sure the cavemen and women didn't eat just planets...Haha, how would they have lived!? Plus all those berries and stuff, how would they know which ones are poison or not? Vegans are rather silly and are oblivious to the food chain. I'm on top of the world baby! Anyway, I'll respect their beliefs begrudgingly lol

17. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Well, now that you mention cavemen. Historically, in the findings of our ancestors, it has been found that the brain started to develop rapidly about the same time as our ancestors went from being scavengers to being hunters. Coincidence?! :cool:

However I think we should drop this and get back to Autifony and the bright future it might bring to us!

By the way, am I the only one who thinks it's just a matter of time now before we have a drug that might at least alleviate our suffering? I mean opposed to let's say 10-15 years ago. Back then there was nothing. Now we have Trobalt. We know it does something. And now there is this Autifony-lady (so sorry but I forgot her name) that has had her T. reduced by 75%.

Even if Autifony doesn't work as we all hope it will, there's allways Otonomy, SciFluor, Bivarectam... and so on and so on. Therefore I think that in 5 years at least 2-3 drugs will be out.

I haven't been this positive in I don't know how long and I pray I'm right because my T. has really been acting up so far in 2015 so that relief can't come soon enough...

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I think Autifony will work, but only for tinnitus which is in the brain. To be honest, I know it will work for me, as trobalt does. I hope it isn't 10-15 years for you guys and gals, as that is too long for something which we have known about for like many years. I believe Autifony are on to something and a treatment not a cure is the next best thing. Mild tinnitus is easy to cope with...Seriously it is.

As for Bivarectam, I honestly believe it's an early Autifony...As both work on the same channels KV3.1.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Well I've had this piece of shit, godforsaken, awful, damned (the cursing might go on....) THING for 9 years! And that's about 9 too many. It actually makes me sad to think that there are poor souls out there getting this thing as we speak and that are as petrified as I was (and to some extent still am).

Just today when I was sitting in my sofa, watching TV, my tinnitus went up in volume all of the sudden in my left ear (my right ear is the worst otherwise) and stayed this way for quite a while. It happens sometimes that my tinnitus just shifts for about 5 secs and sometimes it can even go completely silent in one ear and go up in volume in the other. This happens maybe 3-4 times per year. But this time it stayed for a lot longer and gave me a real scare.

Luckily it calmed down and went back to "normal". I really want that cure/treatment! :(

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    20. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, there will be soon..Bivarectam will be out next year hopefully. The challenge is convincing our doctors to give it to us. Seriously, we need more doctors who understand tinnitus. They need to be trained and I believe tt should be used as a resource for doctors.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Adam G
      Musical

Adam G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infections, loud noise exposure via guitar.
      The less you worry about T the better off you are, but no worries medicine will give us a treatment within the decade.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      We already have a treatment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Jokko
      Amazed

Jokko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      @Danny Boy
      Danny I had a small psychosis but was stress induced, I was a math engineer student but after 3 years of mathematics is easy make a burnout...and I sperimented very loud tinnitus since the beginning of the university but was only temporary tinnitus

24. sergerold

sergerold Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/14
      Yes, I am a 'vegetation'.

• Funny Funny x 5
    25. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      what treatment we have?

26. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:

what is Bivarectam . there no such thing on google anywhere in world. it must be something misspelled or non existing?

27. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me retigabine is holding me alive and dull or high so i don't pay attention on tinnitus. My tinnitus is regularly going up.

trobalt gives me 7-9h of sleep + sound machine like air condition type, it hypnotize me, i am scared but i will ask for keppra.

• Hug Hug x 2
    28. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    30. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's Brivaracetam, it's a KV3.1 modulator, so works the same way as Autifony's drug but is coming out next year.