Can tinnitus cause you to gain weight?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Raindance74, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Raindance74
      Yeehaw

Raindance74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I've always been pretty slim. Here I am three years after developing tinnitus and I'm 25+ pounds overweight. I recently had my blood levels checked by my MD because I have a family history of hypothyroidism, but everything came back normal. Anyone else gained weight since their tinnitus started?

2. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High cholestoral, stress, inflammation, diabetes
      Hi there, i'm not sure tinnitus in itself would cause you to gain weight, unless of course if you started to eat a lot more or stopped exercising.

Tinnitus could be an additional symptom to whatever is causing you to gain weight such as type 2 diabetes. Have you had your glucose tolerance tested?

3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      No, not a stupid question....I find I don't enjoy a lot since T, so somehow reward myself with garbage food these days. Nothing is off limits like it once was. Before T, I can had a very clean lifestyle, borderline health nut. I think emotions come into play with tinnitus, and myself, I'm a emotional eater. Get stressed, eat. Now that I'm in a constant state of stress, I devour whatever, then move on to deserts. I think tinnitus kinda messed with everything I was doing right in life. Now, nothing seems to matter but this f--kin noise!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Telis, How are you going? There's a few really good threads on diets and supplements etc that would be worth checking out. A few people have had success in getting their T levels down.

5. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah, I should. If my T was up and down like a lot of people here I would agree. Nothing, I mean nothing seems to make it better or worse. I was thinking today, maybe people just imagine low T days, depending on mood, sounds in the environment etc. Maybe not, but it sure seems weird that no matter what I do, nothing changes. I could pig out on salty foods and eat ice cream all night, followed with a couple bottles of wine, still nothing. Or, on the other hand I could eat very healthy for days, still nothing. So I'm kind of at a loss. I wish I had these low T days that everyone talks about. I would be more inclined to look into dietary changes.

What do you avoid, or find that helps?

6. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry to hear your T is a bit upsetting at the moment, I know how you feel. When you make dietary changes, it could take a bit of time for your T to improve so it's important to stick with it. You have to take it on in a way so that your body has no option but to heal.

Things I avoid (at all costs)

1. Sugar
      2. Salt (Sodium)
      3. Alcohol
      4. Caffeine
      5. Cigarettes
      6. Drugs
      7. Canned foods
      8. Take away food

Anything I buy I check the labels for the sugar and sodium content. I also check for flavors, preservatives and MSG. The easiest solution is to really limit buying pre-made food or sauces etc and prepare your own food. I wont even eat beans out of a can anymore and prepare my own.

Things I find help

Stick to a completely natural diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, beef, poultry, fish, nuts, grains, brown rice and legumes.

1. Fruits like blueberries/raspberries are full of antioxidants. Apples are good for their fiber content. Bananas are good for their potassium.
      2. Drink a minimum of 2L of water per day with squeezed lemon.
      3. Eat plenty of nuts like pumpkin seeds and almonds. These are rich in magnesium, zinc and healthy fats that fight cholesterol and blocked arteries.. Sprinkle these on your cereal (I have oats) with flaxseeds as well. Replace cows milk with soy or almond milk.
      4. Peanut butter on toast has lots of healthy fats to fight cholesterol also.
      5. Take fish oils daily. Aim for 1500mg of Omega 3.
      6. Take a multivitamin occasionally (1-2 times a week) as well just to cover all bases. I also take a zinc supplement every 2-3 days.
      7. Train every 2-3 days to keep your body ticking along. If you sweat a lot make sure you re-hydrate yourself.
      8. Take a psyllium husk fiber supplement if you're not getting enough fiber through your diet also.

If you follow this routine I reckon there's a good chance your T levels will drop. Be worth getting a blood test and assessment done to make sure there isn't anything you should be taking or avoiding also.

Hope this helps.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    7. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Wow. Sounds like a lot of work...this is what you follow? How long do you think until an improvement? Honestly, I would do this in a heartbeat but for some reason it's hard to convince myself that these kind of changes would help. I guess I have to try something.

I did start smoking after T and at that time I did experience a spike that never went back.

I find doing anything that takes time, patience and effort so so difficult with T. And most things that I have tried...supplements etc have had no effect.

Not to say something won't help eventually

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Sure, tinnitus could cause weight gain. Indirectly. Some people, like me, eat to feel good. Tinnitus never made anyone feel good I don't think.
      Tinnitus has that 'refrigerator running' tension in our heads, so I guess that could put us in 'searching for endorphins' mode.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Telis,

Given that most cases of tinnitus are from inflammation and blood circulation issues, there's a good chance this will have some desirable affect. How much? I really don't know...but its worth a try.

Here's a good article related to this.

http://www.naturalnews.com/031021_tinnitus_inflammation.html#ixzz379CK16bx

One of the most common causes of tinnitus is due to inflammation and poor circulation within the inner ear. When the body is chronically inflamed certain inflammatory mediating prostaglandins are secreted in high amounts. This is most commonly caused by a toxic and deficient diet and lifestyle.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      For me, it's the opposite... for the past 2 months, my T has been louder and I have been losing weight like crazy. I weight less than before I had my 3 children!! I weight the same thing than when I was 18.

Oh sure, I get complimented a lot and all the clothes fit me well!! If they only knew...

As for me, the louder T and the semi-depression state it put me in made me eat less. I'm still not back to normal, my appetite is simply not there and I don't eat.

I've been a T sufferer for the past 7 years and just to add to what has been said before, I still drink coffee, eat salty foods and take-outs and smoke 5-6 cigs a day. I have never monitored what I eat. I don't care if my T increases because of the food I take, I want to live a normal life, f*ck T, I won't let you control my life!!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sorry, my post was harsh huh!! Hope I didn't offend anyone!

12. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Not offended ampumpkin. This is a place you should feel free to vent.

I too, have lost weight. I think some of it is because of the Meneire's diagnosis that I received. I have to watch, salt, sugar, alcohol, caffeine (e.g. coffee, chocolate). I dont' mind giving up alcohol...I never was much of a drinker. But, dang! Not having all the coffee and chocolate I want is killing me! LOL :arghh:

• Like Like x 1
    13. ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Teri how old are you? And how did you find out you had Meniere?? Are you able to live a normal life? (Meniere sounds so awful :( )

14. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      ampumpkin,

I am 52. I was diagnosed with MD by process of elimination. It can be a very intrusive disease. I am lucky that it is not severe at this point. I am living a normal life thus far. I recently found out that a woman at my church has had MD for 20 years and has managed it fairly well. That is what I am hoping for. It typically hits you when you are younger, so there again, I am somewhat lucky.

15. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I gave up salt, sugar, caffeine and artificial sweetners. It didn't make a bit of difference to my T. I lost a lot of weight in the first months because of the anxiety. I was scared to eat anything! I finally decided not to monitor my diet anymore and my weight is back to normal and my T is the same-- some bad days and some not so bad days--I also have low T days once or twice a week.

I eat what I want (including ice cream and chocolate) except for the caffeine--I sleep better being off caffeine and sleep is what I've found to be the most important thing with T. One has to have adequate rest to stay positive. Oh, and I never went back to artificial sweetners --they are poison and NutraSweet/Equal is the worst--they are excitotoxins.

16. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I have gained weight as a result of tinnitus. I eat more because I am depressed. Eating is a temporary "high" that offsets, just for a moment, the misery of tinnitus. I also take REMERON (an antidepressant and sleep aid) which is often used just to increase ones appetite.

I also have lost weight with tinnitus, as I was so depressed that I just did not care to eat. It seems to run in a cycle at least for me.

17. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    18. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since: