Cold and Temporary Tinnitus Increase

Discussion in 'Support' started by ampumpkin, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      Hello everyone!

Just wanted to share what happened to me lately.

I have been sick for nearly a month. It started off as a small cold that resolved quickly. No effect on my T.

As soon as I was feeling better, my son caught a virus at daycare. I started feeling like crap too but worst than before. My sinus got infected, I was coughing a lot... I was blowing my nose every five seconds...!!

My T increased. A lot. New sounds appeared, including a vibrating one, nearly unmaskable.

I decided not to freak out and hope for the best. I lived normally and didn't change anything.

Within 2 weeks, my T was back to normal. The vibrations disappeared. I am feeling better, coughing less and my nose is less stuffed. The sinus infection is gone.

I didn't take any medication. And I didn't have any ear pain or ear infection.

I've had T for over 7 years. I've had numerous colds that never increased my T.

So I just wanted to share that it's possible to have a cold and a big T increase that will eventually resolve.

Happy Holidays to all!!

Anne-Marie

• Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. nmacive
      Worried

nmacive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      What is the longest spike from a cold you have had? Im currently dealing with a spike that has lasted a month now...and i feel better though im still stuffy sometimes...but hasnt gone away. And my T hasnt settled back down yet :( is this temporry I hope??

3. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Yep it's happened to me with congestion due to seasonal allergies. But once I took Claritin for a few days to clear that up, my problem was resolved.

4. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      What do your mean vibrating one? Do you mean those that you can feel vibration within your ear?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I meant like a buzzing in my ear...like a bee...

it was an extra sound, not a physical sensation...

• Useful Useful x 1
    6. Virginia1027

Virginia1027 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2013
      Currently dealing with this now. Afte 2 1/2 years with tinnitus I had truly learned to cope and move on. A week ago I noticed T was starting to change. 4 days ago I got a bad cold. T went beserk. New noise in good ear, so loud it's waking me up. I'm scared again. Don't want to go back to beginning. Besides, noise seems worse this time. Can I do anything? Will this get better?

7. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      I had a cold at Christmas that gave me a low pitched hum in my bad ear. It lasted for about a week, but I too found it settled back to normal once the cold went. The only thing I did differently from before I had tinnitus was to blow my nose more gently to avoid forcing infection deeper into my sinuses and ears. Give it a few days.

• Like Like x 1
    8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      ampumpkin ,
      Glad to hear you are feeling better after your cold .
      I had a bought of Labyrinthitus from a sinus infection that hit me hard with having Menieres but feeling better after in settled down.
      Staying positive it would go got me through it.
      Nice to read your positive post too...lots of love glynis

9. Virginia1027

Virginia1027 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2013
      Owen - thank you for your reply! I love positive, helpful people!!

I am doing better today. I read on one of the posts to try steam. It helped a lot. Also, I tried something I learned from my Italian grandmother- in -law. I warmed up a garlic clove in some olive oil and put some on a cotton ball. I left it in my ears for 20 minutes. It reduces inflammation. I know it sounds crazy but it really works!

Most importantly of all I have been trying to stay calm. Tinnitus is a nervous system disorder. Anxiety only gives it fuel (as we all know!).

Thank you again for your reply. I was having a down day and it really helped. I've never reached out before on this blog for fear that I would hear a lot of negative doom & gloom. I'm glad that's not what happened. Staying positive is SO important!!

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virginia, I answered your PM! :)

• Hug Hug x 1