Complete List of Causes of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by George, Apr 13, 2014.

1. George

George Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      After doing some research on the internet, it seems that the main causes of tinnitus are well known.

1- Ear wax and or blockages
      2- Certain drugs - mainly aspirin
      3- The natural aging process
      4- Meniere's disease
      5- Otosclerosis
      6- High blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, circulatory problems, anemia, under-active thyroid gland, diabetes.
      7- Neck and jaw problems

I wonder if anyone can add other specific known causes to the list. My understanding is that all the above conditions are - in one way or another - treatable (with the exception of 3).. If the underlying cause is treated, does tinnitus usually stop? or is the damage permanent?

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      8- Sensorineural Hearing Loss

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
    4. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I believe that stress and anxiety triggered my T--I think I may have already had it and wasn't aware (I had two other short occasions where I noticed T for a few minutes but it went 'back under' spontaneously) or if they can cause it. I have had age related hearing loss of ultra high frequency--the loss is almost minute for a couple of years but I didn't get T until November of 2013 after a period of enormous personal stress and anxiety.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Noiseeee exposure!!!! Number 1 cause probably!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have both, diabetes and high blood pressure . :'(
      Still young for these shit.
      FML.

7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      T is too mysterious to say if a cause is treated that the T will stop. For some it does, for some it wont. But in the future all T will be treated no matter the causeee:) then we dont gotta worry bout it nooo more! It would be so nice to go to a concert get t and then go to the doc and they give you an antibiotic or something that gets rid of it... Im thinkin thats what it will be likeee or something like that.

• Like Like x 1
    8. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      i was actually VERY surprised that he forgot that CAUSE NO. 1 !

9. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah lol my friend was tellin me
      A story how he participates in these war reinanctments on a big feild and that even tho everyone wears earplugs and stuff that by the time its over everyones ears are ringin loudly... And my friend does these things few times a month so im like be careful! And he doenst seem to care hes like oh well with me the ringing always goes away! Im like yeah until one time it doesnt....

• Like Like x 1
    10. Raytr
      Wishful

Raytr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      If I knew about tinnitus before I got it I swear I would plug my ears for life :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Same for me. Maybe I had T before, but never noticed it.
      In October 2013 I had some kind of breakdown after stress for longer time.
      This brought a crazy-loud T into my head. I have reduced my stress, but T is still there.
      Anxiety is less, but depression is also still there.
      I have age-related hearing loss, but stress was finally the trigger.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      I don't think TTTS counts as a cause of tinnitus. Tinnitus may rather be a component of it, or the two may not be related at all.

I am relating to subjective tinnitus now. I am not exactly sure what kind of tinnitus Ingmar Klockhoff was referring to. There is this thing they call "objective tinnitus". My understanding is that this type of tinnitus is of muscular origin, such as in TTTS, or of vascular origin.

From the linked PDF document:
      I think I have read in another text that Klockhoff was pointing out that it's this muscular activity that some patients have described as tinnitus. When you think about it, this is probably what he means by "clinically very fruitful to know" about TTTS.

But does this muscular activity count as "tinnitus"? I think not, and I don't think this is what the original poster here meant by "tinnitus". This counts as "objective tinnitus". But the poster most likely meant "subjective tinnitus". In most contexts, it's understood that you mean subjective tinnitus when you say just "tinnitus". The category of "objective tinnitus" came later I believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Joanne Philps
      Alienated

Joanne Philps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flight
      I got mine from a plane journey, I did a 4 1/2 hour flight September 17 th 2016, usual crackling and blocking during take off and landing I've always had, no problem off the plane and went about my day, then 5 th October another 4 1/2 hour flight, got off the plane now tinnitus 24/7 and balance problems 24/7, practically housebound now through fear of falling over and tinnitus at a volume I wouldn't have thought possible!

• Hug Hug x 2
    14. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Joanne Philps
      Alienated

Joanne Philps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flight
      Thank you Candy, but the ENT ( a junior one I think) without examing me or so much as looking in my ears firstly said labyrinthitis , then Ménière's , medication didn't work , symptoms still the same so next on his list ( of things to fob you off with) is vestibular migraine, have had MRI scan 9/3/17 don't know what the results were but am due to see a senior ENT 13/4/17 perhaps he will have news but I'm not holding my breath and then a balance test on 20/4/17

16. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
    17. Joanne Philps
      Alienated

Joanne Philps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flight
      Hi, Glynis, apart from nasal sprays over the counter, the prescription meds are betahistine (Serc 16) then Cinnarizine , then propanodol , now back on Serc, nothing makes a different screeching tinnitus very loud 24/7 and unable to walk without feeling like I'm on a bouncy castle or ten bottles of wine!

18. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You can take serf 16 and up to 6 Constantine 15mg a day.....
      The ENT might offer steroid injections in the ear or gent injections.
      I totally understand as I have menieres ,

Love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. Binyamin

Binyamin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blow to the ear
      Diabetes can cause tinnitus? Can someone explain?

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Parfait

Parfait Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      My noise induced tinnitus was massively worsened by taking iron supplements, which also gave me hyperacusis and hearing loss. I could never have imagined the horror it caused to my ears.

I don't think you mentioned ear trauma such as cotton buds or toys etc damaging the inner/outer ear

21. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      How could cotton swabs cause tinnitus?

22. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      How about looking into what treatment is available for hydrops and asking ENT?

23. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      If you ram it hard through your ear drum maybe? Other than that I don't think so.

24. Parfait

Parfait Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If you read the stories on here you'd believe the cotton swabs can def cause t. Only when jamming in too far. I also think it is possible that overuse of ear plugs could cause tinnitus though I'm unsure of the mechanism behind that- pressure changes in the ears possibly.

25. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      You are right of course! :) I didn't think of that.

I heard dr. Robert Jackler talk about this. I don't know if he was joking, but he mentioned that people can slip and fall, pushing the cotton swap all the way through. :(

I did push the cotton swab a little too much a couple of times when I was a teenager. It would trigger the gag reflex, especially when I did that in the left ear. It's interesting because my left ear is the bad ear. But I never pushed it all way through. I'm not sure if or how that would have damaged my inner ear on that side.

One crazy way cotton swabs might cause hearing loss is by pushing in earwax instead of pulling it out. I think this is one of the problems with cotton swabs. Especially for people with narrow ear canals. Then it gets stuck inside, and your ear becomes deprived of sounds. This sound depravation, according to research, can cause neurons to change behavior. Which might cause them to start firing more rapidly, possibly causing tinnitus. But I would expect this to go back to normal once you have cleaned out your ears. (Unless of course you damage your ears while syringing them at the doctor's office. Which is probably more likely to cause tinnitus than cotton swabs.)

My ear canals are clean as whistles. I stopped using cotton swabs ages ago.

I suppose it is plausible that cotton swabs can cause tinnitus, by sound deprivation, i.e. conductive hearing loss. But I admit that this theory is "way out there"! :)

26. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      You can actually say all causes of tinnitus modify the auditory brain regions in some way.

Hearing loss (Sensori-Neural, Ear Wax, conductive)
      TMD (neck/jaw problems)
      Cervical issues (possibly the same as TMD)
      TBI/ (Brain Injury) or brain tumor
      possibly more unknown causes

Pusatile tinnitus isn't even tinnitus it's an unrelated vascular condition
      they should change the name to avoid confusion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Well your not to good at classifying things and realizing that five of them could all be put under the umbrella category "hearing loss"' and one of them isn't even actual tinnitus but rather a vascular condition
      and all of them except most of 6- could be listed to cause changes in the audiotory brain.

1- Ear wax and or blockages (temporary hearing loss from blockage)
      2- Certain drugs - mainly aspirin (hearing loss from ototoxicity)
      3- The natural aging process (hearing loss from aging) (Presbycusis)
      4- Meniere's disease (hearing loss that shifts from a vestibular/cochlear malfunction)
      5- Otosclerosis (conductive hearing loss from bone disease of the 3 tiny bones in the middle ear)
      6- High blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, circulatory problems, anemia, under-active thyroid gland, diabetes. (not tinnitus it's a seperate vascular condition with a pseudo name)
      7- Neck and jaw problems (TMD/TMJ) possibly hearing loss and more complications listed below)
      upload_2018-7-20_16-30-25.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Usually yes, but it appears some few exceptions exist. The exceptions cannot be ignored. I'd love to know why few cochlear implant recipients do not have tinnitus reduction but the majority do.
      http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/articles/can-cochlear-implants-decrease-tinnitus.pdf

• Genius Genius x 1
    29. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Ear infections
      Gut problems ??
      Hereditary
      Sinus problems

30. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      My previous doc said if sinusitis can cause tinnitus, he'll give me their doc license and resign.