Does Anyone Else Physically Feel Their Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zam, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Zam

Zam Member

It's weird, I feel like it is actually emitting noise from my ear and it is resonating. Like I physically feel like there is air being vibrated in or around my ear canal.

Anyone else get that feeling?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yes, all the time. Not even sure its from my ears , almsot feels like my brain is vibrating.
      But yes , get a physical feeling.

• Like Like x 1
    3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Yes, I also have ear canal pain. And I always have some degree of scalp pain.

Tinnitus follows the same (or similar) neural pathways present in chronic pain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yes totally...it's like the noise pressurizes my head...feel like it's going to pop when I'm in a quiet environment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Got that earlier on, now I get it about once per week.

6. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Yup, feels like it's both my head & ears, the feeling stops a little when i put my head underwater but increases if i put plugs/cotton in my ears. Tinnitus is such an enigma, much love for the person who creates the machine.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Get it when ears are low ,my miserable day I call it ,goes inwards,as Telis describes exactly .average it's 2/3 days a week ,I wake up with it ,have wondered if it's because I wake on my worst T ear .Verdicts out .I know it's a spiteful day ,all day .Notice to I tend to get deep ear pain those days ,like oh got infection .Wish it would make it's mind up .
      Gets you down ,I know that much .

• Hug Hug x 5
    8. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      When my T is at its worse my ears actually hurt as if they were listening to a loud external noise.

• Agree Agree x 7
    9. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Yes I used to "feel" my T in the middle of my head. Those tiny electric current sounds...it was scary...but it lasted for about a month in my case and went away completely ..I guess its called "brain zaps" but it can be different not sure
      ..I have noticed that my T pattern changes every month ..hang in there ..it will go away in time

• Hug Hug x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zam

Zam Member

It's odd though out of the dozen or so different T sounds I hear, I feel like only one or two have this effect.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      maybe because they're a square wave instead of a sine wave?

12. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Yes same here !

13. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I do not have that. I "only" have high-pitched T. Should I not be lucky having "only" T, no pain, no H?
      I am wondering sometimes that I have so many problems with it.
      Is it maybe not just my T, but something else which is not ok (normal depression, anxiety disorder)?
      Really tough. I don't know. It see it as part of the mental game T plays with us. :-(

• Like Like x 1
    14. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Yes I experience a humming/vibration almost generator like sound/feeling. I also feel something spasming in both ears at times (it's not the ear drum fluttering). Has anyone connected this feeling to tensor tympani myoclonus or stapedius myoclonus?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zam

Zam Member

I also get a vibrating sound, usually before going to sleep, but it is only in my right ear. I feel as though it's a muscle vibrating somewhere near there, and it only happens if I don't 100% relax my facial and neck muscles.

16. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Vibrating sound or feeling? It makes my ear and surrounding head areas almost feel stuffy/numb. Very strange and hard to ignore. The ringing is nothing compared to H and this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zam

Zam Member

Mine's an actual sound, I believe it's external T, especially since it's gotten softer since my hearing loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Oh yeah. Especially if I'm in a quiet environment. I feel like my inner ear and even my brain is buzzing and vibrating.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Della
      Creative

Della Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Yep, me too. I often feel vibrations in my head, but only with the mid- and low-pitch T. The high ringing sound doesn't do it, but the lower sounds feel like there's a generator or engine in my head.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hiya Della where have you been hiding yourself ,been on a nice cruise without me ,?
      Hope all things okay considering our probs .Doing something nice on music front .?
      I've still got keyboard out ,tinker on and off . Nice to see Della come up .Fill us in how you are okay .xxx

• Like Like x 1
    21. Della
      Creative

Della Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Hiya Marlene! Good to hear from you. I'm doing ok ... just been busy with music and dance and the art class I'm taking. The hearing aids have made life liveable again ... generally the low & mid-range T sounds are lower in volume when I wear them. Oddly, at the same time the high pitch ringing has gotten louder ... but it's at least not screaming loud, and it's not in the range that interferes with conversation or music, so I just ignore it as much as possible. Going on about life and not letting it get me down! The abstract art class is a blast -- like going back to kindergarten! :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Glad things are improving for you Della ,been uphill battle but glad it's all helped,you can at least enjoy music again ,must be hard when part of ones life hear that a lot on TT .Hoping those aids were going to give you,some part of your life back ,T robs us of so very much .
      You will have to put up one of your masterpieces ,I think painting is so much a relaxer ,think if T having a low day ,not in head day,but lowish ,it does make you forget the T ,have you found that ,especially since having these new aids ,maybe Valeri might benifit from them .
      My ears have been right so and so's of late ,tried my patience no end .was unwell some virus going around here ,but got pass that after a month of it ,only for my ears to be hissing all over head so loud ,still have it now ,not wanting to give up .Think bug set this off as it is ,hope it just fizzles itself out .
      Haven't seen Rachel on site for awhile ,hope she's okay .
      Well it's great your back on site ,Stay well xxx

• Like Like x 1
    23. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Mine feels/sounds like a generator too! Do you have H? Wondering whether to attribute it to H or T?

24. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Same. Bathrooms kill me?

25. Della
      Creative

Della Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I did have H, really bad, for months. In fact I was really worried about that when I got my hearing aids in October, but they have actually helped the H a lot! This makes NO sense to me, but there you go. They've helped the T too, but not as much as the H. I also haven't had any episodes of that awful echo hearing since I started wearing the aids (do you know what I'm talking about, the echo hearing?). I'm no expert, but my bet would be that the vibration is part of the T, as I still have that sometimes, albeit at a lower level than before.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      No, I don't have an echo. I hate that the vibration is probably part of the T, because that means it probably won't go away. :(

Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 2
    27. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      What do you think caaused your T and H?

28. Frayact

Frayact Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had a loud, low-pitched hum since 1996 that I can feel. It's mainly in my right ear, but I can also feel the humming sensation going down my throat. On most days, the humming will envelop my entire head. It's a living hell. I've been to a ton of doctors and had every medical test in the book done including 3 MRI's. No cause has been found, and my hearing is normal. Some days it's quieter than others, but if I play music or even just strum my acoustic guitar, the humming will escalate immediately, like I've awakened a sleeping giant.

In 1999, I began talking the antidepressant Effexor XR, and the noise in my head gradually went away. I was hum-free for a year. But then it came back again. I tried other AD's - Paxil, Zoloft, Neurontin, Wellbutrin - but none worked. I suffered another few years until I got on Lexapro. That seems to have driven the hum away up until this year. Once again, the beast has returned.

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow about switching meds. I can't go on like this much longer.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. My T decided to crank right up this evening. Worst it's ever been. My whole head is buzzing/vibrating. Not the first time I have felt it, but certianly the worst. I have been in quiet all day with soft sounds from a sound machine. I give up. This thing is totally random.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Della
      Creative

Della Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      @Frayact, I gotta tell you I love your profile pic! Man, that is the feeling sometimes. I'm so sorry all of you are going through this awful thing ... well, all of US.

@Mike34, I still don't know what caused mine to spike ... and that's after 7 months of multiple doctor visits: 2 ENTs, my allergist, my rheumatologist, and a neurosurgeon. I had the most hope from the neurosurgeon, as my first MRI showed fluid around the perimeter of my brain, and he thought I might have a small leak somewhere. He decided to proceed conservatively, and waited 3 months to do another MRI before doing anything. I just saw him again recently, and the fluid seems to be being reabsorbed by the body, and everything else checked out ok. He said it was probably something like a brain bruise, from some shock or trauma. (Apparently it doesn't take a whole lot of force if you hit your head or strain your neck just the right way.) He said he thinks I'll be fine, and doesn't think that had anything to do with my T. So there went that theory. My best guess now is that mine is due to age-related hearing loss and the damage that comes from growing up in the rock & roll generation ... but why it exploded from mildly annoying to severe last May, I'll probably never know.