Does Everyone Habituate?

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Nov 18, 2014.

?

Do You Think Everyone Will Eventually Habituate?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    65.5%
    1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Is it possible to suffer forever and ever?
      Are there people that never habituate?

2. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      I don't know but I had enough of T and and the time it took from me to dwell on it so I stopped doing that and ....now I hardly hear it during the day because I stopped carring. I think habitation was also involved for me but it was from one day upon a other day that I stopped dwelling on it and stopped putting my fingers in my ears and when I hear it ..... i just do not panic and move on.

If I can do nothing about it I can cry of talk about it or what ever ....it is just not going to help me and for some reason my brain blocks it out even more now.

Normaly I thought about it 24/7 ...now way less..... I don't know the timescale but most of the time I don't think about it anymore and do not come here to often....only ones a day to check if I can help somebody to share my experience.

• Like Like x 3
    3. john livingston
      Cool

john livingston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      football contact
      @valeri I've had T to long to remember (40 +) years so that seems like for ever to me. Being able to live with the ever ending changes is the real challenge for me. The early years were a lot easier to mask it out and habituate. But it seems now that all the noises from years past are coming back to haunt me with never ending changes pitches, tones and volumes. I have to get my self out of my self to feel a little peace! With T it is real easy to isolate from others to stay in your comfort zone to keep from being labeled different.

4. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      I learned to live with it.. basically cause of no other choice.. hoping cure is on the way.. that is the motivation for learning to live with it..
      living with it untill i get a cure..Not just living with it..
      need money to pay for a cure/treatment.. money i have to earn and save.. to earn i have to work.. to work i have to ignore this t.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      NO!

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I would think if your T is extreme enough it may be tough if not impossible to habituate.

I don't think I will get used to or habituate to my T personally. For me it's more about getting used to this new life. I suffer and maybe I can handle it....I'm trying to go with that for now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The way I see it , it depends on what you expect from habituation.

If you expect you will not hear it at all or you will not be bothered by it ever again than I guess noone will habituate.

But I honestly believe that you will come to see it in the long term as just another chronic ailment, just like people with other chronic diseases are just as bothered by it, just not 100% of the time and you will adjust your life accordingly.

I truly believe we can all find our happiness again, but it will be different than before T. For me it has been a life changing thing (unfortanatly).

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Martin Jensen
      Fine

Martin Jensen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I also believe habituation is entirely possible. Even to loud ringing. But it is not the same as not being able to hear it. Habituation is not reacting to it, even when I do hear it. That is my new habituation goal. I used to have habituated to the perception of it as well. Not possible anymore with a new, increased level of T. But one can get back and live reasonably well with it. It is there in the background - but it will affect you less and less. People have vastly different views on this. There are two million americans who have severe tinnitus and who seek help for it. Most of them are not on these forums and dwell on it. They would probably tell you that they get along fine with their tinnitus, even if considered loud like h.... It is my humble opinion, that tinnitus affects people very different and that people, like myself, who are anxiety prone or have other psychological challenges "suffer more" with it than the rest of the population. Again only an opinion.

• Like Like x 2
    9. suera

suera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      No. I've had it 5 1/2 years and am nowhere near habituating.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Habituation for me, would be as possible and probable, as winning the lottery or getting hit by lightning! Just way to much noise in my head to be comfortable anywhere.

11. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      Not always possible. I have it for over 25 years. It's the first thing I hear in the morning, and the last thing I hear at night. I have been bothered by it to some degree, every one of those 9000 days.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Actually I spoke to a woman from the States a few times on the phone and she told me she never got used to tinnituus but she got used too suffering from tinnitus - true story.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah it's seems less scary if you feel that you can handle the suffering. Like I can get up and take this BS and do other things today type thing. It's like you get more prepared to face it as time goes by.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1