Does Tinnitus Cause Stress?

Discussion in 'Support' started by tinnitussufferer, Nov 21, 2014.

1. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      Imagine a car alarm goes off and has been going on for more than an hour. It is not loud enough to cause hearing damage but it is very annoying. Telling people to habituate to tinnitus is like telling someone to put up with that car alarm for life. It is not only annoying but it can be tiring after a while having a constant noise which you cant escape. When we want to rest and relax and reduce stress, we generally do it by being in a quite environment. On the other hand, noise tends to add to our stress levels.

2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I agree that tinnitus is incredibly fatiguing. Its probably the thing I hate most about it. I feel constantly exhausted.
      But your question in your post header is: Does tinnitus cause stress?

I think most people would agree that tinnitus in some people (but not in all) causes mild to extreme stress and anxiety. But some researchers think the reverse also MAY be true (not certain): that stress and anxiety causes tinnitus. There definitely are some correlations between anxiety/depression and T. It can be hard to tell, with some folks, which comes first. My opinion is if you end up with both, as I did, you need to treat the anxiety (meditation, therapy, meds if necessary) along with the tinnitus (sound therapy, HBOT, laser light, whatever you want to try).

3. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      Yes

4. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      In my case, stress/anxiety/burnout caused T.
      Although I was already highly exhausted, loud T put another huge stress block on top.
      Still trying getting out of this stress, anxiety, depression, tinnitus loop.
      Just sitting down doing nothing is unfortunately not the solution.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      For some people, stress can contribute to the cause of tinnitus as well as be from the result of tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Think a big YES from me ,the anxiety and depression comes from ones stress,people can only cope with so much life can throw at them .Not easy to manage for the best of folk .Stress with T or any other illness regardless of what it is ,can break a person .Sucks the life out of one .
      Have good weekend all on TT ,as best you can have .

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Ummm...yes. I didn't know stress like this existed for this amount of time.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Never wants to totally give up ,always lurking in the background even on a getting through kinda day Telis ,is it the severity to T that keeps the stress levels up for some long term ,never left me in past 9 yrs .I take the B Vits and hope given time the stress/ anxiety will just finally fade away ,along with the balance I got going .
      What you been doing this week Telis ? Good having your dog ,that gives you something to get up for ,she needs feeding ,watering and her walks .think having a dog helps for anyone suffering from stress,put up a pic of her ,us dog lovers would like to see her .

9. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Hell yes it causes stress, why would it not unless one is insane enough to enjoy listening to this crap

10. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah she is always around for me, sleeps with me, basically doesn't leave my side. She knows I'm not doing well, she tries to make me laugh and cheer me up, she has changed a lot along with me and my new struggles. She is very very sweet and incredibly intuitive, it actually blows my mind. Anyone depressed and lonely from T, I recommended a companion to keep you going. You are right Marlene, they are great for stress.
      image.jpg

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Lurking months here, but after seeing this pic of the dog I had to subscribe. What a sweet dog!
      Btw I also have T & H unfortunately.

• Funny Funny x 1
    12. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hiya Telis my what a beauty she is. Those eyes just get to you,could squeeze her loveliest possible way .
      Wait till Karen and Lady Di see her to ,she doesn't look very old ,Telis .Mans best friend indeed .think she lightens you up even though your down ,they just sense it ,my boys ( cocker spaniels ) did me on my worst head day ,they stayed close by.What do they sense from us ,to wanting to stay close by ,I use to think they could hear my T when loud .If it's in our brains. Then how could they ? Does make you wonder .She makes you laugh ,that's good ,you need to do that often ,lifts your spirits .Theyve got there own funny ways ,only you see .
      I'm glad you posted her pic ,glad she's around you . Yes everyone should have a dog I agree ,my boys lifted me .
      Hope things will get whole lot better for you,and you turn that corner truly do .

13. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hello Dutch ,glad you've joined in ,hey and Telis 's cute dog got you to do it ,think that's great,see what a draw they are .
      Hope you get some info on your T and H ,great threads on all parts to both T and H .Best site to be on ,as your find .
      Best of luck on TT Dutch .Hope you have good weekend to .less irritating say with having T .

14. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      OMG, @Telis, @Marlene is so right, I luv all animals but especially dogs (even though I dont have one at home right now, just cats). Is she a Boston? What a sweet face. I know you are having hard times but feel better knowing you have a true best friend with u. Thanks for the pic!

• Like Like x 1
    15. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah she's a BT...6 yrs old now. My brother has a male from the same parents, the liter before her. My brothers dog was so incredible I had to have one from the same parents. They are both very special dogs.

This is a very recent pic by the way...she just looks like a puppy

• Like Like x 1
    16. I have a 5 year old Flat coated retriever and we have been togheter amost every day since he was 8 weeks old (I work from home). He was always with me when i am out fishing or hiking in the forrests. BUT since T struck me (he barked me in my left ear when i was playing with him), he turns more and more to my fiance, like he don´t think i am that funny anymore. That´s true for sure but animals senses a lot more things than we think they do.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @Telis

Your dog is adorable!! So cute
      so beautiful
      so intelligent
      and u know she does understand u
      they do feel more than we can understand
      they feel our emotions
      they feel when we are not right
      they feel and they show it in so many ways
      my little one here is sticking next to me like glue and funny thing is she keeps licking my bad ear
      just my bad ear lick lick lick
      how does she know?
      what is your dogs name please tell and what is her age
      what do u feed her
      what treats does she like
      do u make special food for her or make special treats for her

can more people post their pets pictures please

18. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah they do know...for sure.

Umm this seems a bit weird to be posting here at TT but...

Yup I give her all kinds of treats and amazing dinners...she eats steak, chicken, pork, lamb...basically anything fairly wholesome and healthy. I even make her warm soup on cold days....some chopped up carrots, chicken, a bit of cheese, a few prices of her dog food and warm water, sounds nasty but she loves it. She gets way more loving and attention from me now with T, guess this is one positive coming out of this T situation.

She is a high performance athlete so I feed her in this way...she is a champ with the ball at the park! Haha

Stress relief...yes for sure they are. I think of her and put her before myself these days actually. My life is tough, so making hers an amazing one seems to help me cope and get my mind on something else besides me and my T.

Oh her name is Roxy, I have had her since a pup. She's almost 7 now.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hiya Telis ,was hoping you'd put her name up ,Roxy put her up on your avatar ,nice to see her when I come on site ,your eye is scaryyyy.Ha Ha .Roxy would be nice .Go on do it .
      Certainly eats well Telis ,ours loved chicken and boy the veg,loved all.What ours had every day (evenings ) was a raw carrot ,good for keeping the teeth clean .
      Hope your okay ,you know what I mean ,nice you've shared your Roxy on TT .One spoilt dog. Love it .What they give you,it's unconditional .wish some humans were like that,live in a selfish world ,learnt that for all my years if nothing else .Dogs before lot of humans .

20. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Amandine ,there is a thread on pets somewhere and pics of them ,my 2 cocker spaniels ,and my daughters 2 cocker spaniels up on it to .Look through past threads prior August .

21. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Just to let everyone know that the avatar is of my marcelle whom i adore more than can be imaginable.
      She was my 'raison d'etre' for so many years.
      I cooked for her every day - sometimes chicken (she loved chicken) sometimes fish (u know the fillets without bones very expensive!) sometimes some red meat but not too often. Feeding times would take about an hour as she had a little game with food. She would go and pick out what she wanted then stand back and wait for me to add more of the extra special things in her bowl that she liked more than the rest in her bowl - generally the chicken or the fish, or sardines from a can with no bones she loved too.. Anyway so it would go on till she had done this about 3 times till she was full up. She also had biscuits doggie ones but used to eat only a few of these.
      Of course she had treats too. Liver cooked hard was a favourite. and the usual array of doggie treats that one can buy too.
      But most of all we had love. Constant huggles and kisses with her snuggling up to me. And plenty of fun going away in my camper then (i was single and had not met richard yet) where we went for long walks through valleys and shallow streams and woods. She could walk for miles with me and never ever tired. I used to have to make her stop every 20 minutues when we walked in the hot summer sun so that she would rest and drink plenty of water. She also found our way home many times when i the stupid human being had gotten us lost in the country side. Absolutely no sense of direction but her sense of direction was impeccable. She never let us down with her inbuilt compass. I just used to say to her Marci can we go home now - and that was it. I followed her! Mad i know but utterly true. If ever i went away abroad she also knew exactly what time i arrived back in the country. She always jumped from the lap of the person caring for her while i was away and sat in front of the front door waiting for me at exactly the moment i landed in the UK. I was told this by the carer who told me each time at what moment exactly Marci had jumped from her lap and then enquired as to the time i had arrived back in UK either by plane or train. Each time Marcelle had been bang on when even the carer had not known exactly the day I was returning let alone the hour. But Marcelle knew without fail. She confirmed that marcelle would jump off the carers lap in front of the tv and or cosy fire and would go to the front door where it was cold and uncomfortable and sit there waiting at exactly that time I had returned to UK and refused to budge until I came to collect her. So they do these animal friends of ours have some sixth sense that we have lost.
      In fact she was a bit like she had been glued to me we loved each other so much. If I was going away, which was seldom did i leave her, she knew and would follow me everywhere sensing that i was going to leave her.
      She would pine for the first 2 days, would not eat and stand looking out of the window for my return. However she was not suicidal and after the first two days got the carer to hand feed her skinless fine pork sausages!! She would refuse all other food except the sausages so she knew what she was doing with the poor helpless human carer!
      Marcelle was very attached to me. She became panicky if I put her in a strangers car - think she was always afraid of losing me. I must add here that I got her when she was about 2 weeks from her 2nd birthday and I re homed her after a bumpy start in life. She had gone from pillar to post, the original family kind but kept her for breeding purposes as her pedigree was excellent and therefore her puppies expensive. They were not cruel but poor people and this was one of their incomes, breeding dogs and birds etc....However she had been sold onto another family where she was very badly treated and then onto another familly equally badly treated. The original family found out about her bad treatment and got her back to them thankfully. However she didnt come into season for 8 months for them for breeding purposes and so that was how I ended up getting her ( i paid a fair amount of money for her but i didnt care - i adored her from the first second i saw her and i think that it was mutual love). Suffice to say that within her being with me for 2 weeks she came into season and came into season every 6 months following to the day for the rest of her life....well until she was 11 when she had to have a hysterectomy due to an infection in her womb.
      Anyhow i never bred from her as i thought that she had been through enough but we had many years together.
      Sadly she passed away on december 10th 2012 at the age of 17 years, 4 months and 11 days. Her kidneys simply stopped functioning.
      Eventually after 4 days of this diagnosis and the vet said she only had days to live when he told me 4 days earlier, she started to have fits. So I had to decide for whom was I keeping her alive. Was it for me or was it for her? and how selfish was i being by not letting her go if she was having these fits. So yes I took her to the vets on the 10th and at 4pm she passed really peacefully after receiving the injection. I have some of her fur and her bits and pieces still and her ashes in an urn. I still feel very guilty that i allowed the injection - that i allowed the vet to take her life. I miss her each and every second of each and every day and long for the day that i can hold her again. All of this may seem extreme to many who dont know the love of a pet but some of you may understand this. If there is another life after this one I only hope that she and i will be reunited. I can still smell her in the fur that i kept and her coats and her toys. And of course I have lots of photos and videos of her. She was the kindest and most loyal soul I have ever known and this includes amongst people too. I know people will say ridiculous she was a dog but she was so much more than just a pet too me. She was my family and I love her to this day.
      On the day she passed something strange happened.
      I was at someones house in the evening. Suddenly as I looked down, there was some fur there. It had appeared out of nowhere (all marcis stuff was in the car) and lay at my feet. I picked it up. Yes it was marcis fur. Well next morning I got a call. At that time, when i had seen the fur on the floor, another female yorkshire very young had been found not far from me - she had been found wandering alone in the woods. She was taken that night to a local kennels who took in abandoned dogs. The vet had heard about it and put the contact between the kennels and me.
      Now pepsi cola as i have called her lives with me. She is completely different to marcelle or marci as i called her. She is dark coloured, about 25 per cent smaller body. Utterly different character and personality. If anything she is more gentle and loving than marcelle. She was just 2.5 kilos when found but now is a very healthy 4.5 kilos. She is vibrant and incredibly loving and happy. And of course utterly spoilt and eats very well indeed. She runs like the wind. But she is sensitive too and knows that something is not right with me now and licks a lot. Many people have said that her being found like that, a few short hours following marcelles passing, was destiny that she should come to me....maybe.....i dont know about these things. All i know is that the wee thing had been left to fend for herself in the cold winter night in the forest with nothing to eat and no company except for the wild boar who could have attacked her at any time. i have no idea where she came from or how long she had been in those woods but know that she was about 11 or 12 months when found. Here in france you may find occassionally a yorkshire terrier abandoned but it is incredibly rare. When they are found they are always male and not female. This is because any yorki here is very expensive so people dont abandon but sell them. The females are never abandoned as their puppies command a lot of money when sold with or without papers. So you can see that for pepsi cola to have been found AND not far from me in such as big country as france was nigh on miraculous and on the same day within a few hours of marcelle passing.
      However I have to say that my love sadly is not the same as it was for marcelle. I feel so bad about this but i simply cannot love her the way i loved marcelle. She has taken to the man i live with (a very unhappy relationship which i long to finish with and will be as soon as i am not in france) and he now has the love with her that i had for marcelle. Maybe now he will understand how marcelle and i were like one being.
      It is cruel tho in many ways - Pepsi cola was for me due to me losing marcelle but he kind of took over and took her affections. Yorkis are very loyal normally to one person. Even tho she loves me and spends time next to me, it is him she really wants. This came about because in the beginning my feelings were still too raw to be able to give pepsi the love....I was still aching for my marcelle and couldnt simply switch to another dog so quickly - it had not even been a few days since marcelle had passed. So richard here took to her and she naturally stuck to him.

Oh well there it is....now you all know who is in the photo.....
      i hope you will all forgive me for this long post and please feel free to move it if necessary. or delete it if necessary.
      Would love to hear from other people including telis about their pets.....Also if anyone has any sixth sense stories with their pets or otherwise. think that would make a great thread......